Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defeating the Autopilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have had success wedging an orange into the wheel, offset from the centre.
I have mixed emotions about the nags. On the one hand, it's certainly safer to force people to keep their hands on the wheel. On the other hand, AP didn't used to have this sort of nagging and people seemed to be safe enough (if watching the road).

Since the Nag senses the resistance to movement by presence of your hand(s) on the steering wheel you can overcome it by attaching a number of elastic bands or strap to a fixed object such as a door or bag on the floor. Only a light pull is needed. A means for fast removal is also desirable. Good for long boring trips.

Probably best to add a smiley face after posting a joke, some people may think you're serious and attempt this.

It’s easier & safer to rest a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Until we get to a higher level of autonomy, anything that has even the slightest chance of prompting distraction or reducing vigilance is an unnecessary risk.
That depends on one’s tolerance for risk.

Driving itself has an element of risk we have all accepted in exchange for the convenience.

There is slightly more risk in not keeping one’s hands on the wheel during autopilot, but also some convenience.

• Love
Reactions: X-drvr and davidc18
The nags are there to protect the driver and all those driving nearby.

If owners install defeat so a human hand is no longer necessary on the steering wheel then Tesla will be forced to install even more intrusive systems to assure that a human is always present and in control of the car.

Autopilot is currently designed to assist the driver in navigating down the road.

Would not be surprised if people installing clever defeat systems found their autopilots disabled. It already happens if you do not respond to the alerts already installed in the system.

Tesla is trying to develop autopilot, but some owners just want to F it up.

That depends on one’s tolerance for risk.

Driving itself has an element of risk we have all accepted in exchange for the convenience.

There is slightly more risk in not keeping one’s hands on the wheel during autopilot, but also some convenience.

Well I do know you drive a lot more than I do so maybe I'm not so bothered by the nag :)

For me I don't think I’d find a series of rubber bands or an orange more convenient than resting a hand on the wheel. Also, statistically, that slightly increased risk applied across an entire fleet could result in injury or worse & may not only impact a driver. I hope I'm wrong.

What happened to Auto braking? Not engaged?
Our friend from Boston- I represent that remark.

If your original post is not a joke and you think tampering with autopilot to make your personal journey easier is clever you certainly do represent that remark.

If you're not prepared to show respect to other road users by paying due attention to the road as the law requires hand your drivers licence in and catch public transport or a taxi.

• Disagree
Reactions: X-drvr
The OP is Australian - that puts me the opposite side of the planet.
Just about safe from his antics then.

- just let me know if you're visiting the UK and hiring a Tesla though please mate ;)

(more seriously - this type of thing is precisely what gets Tesla to increase the system nags to a point where the utility of AP is largely negated and ruins the experience for us all)

Well I do know you drive a lot more than I do so maybe I'm not so bothered by the nag :)

For me I don't think I’d find a series of rubber bands or an orange more convenient than resting a hand on the wheel. Also, statistically, that slightly increased risk applied across an entire fleet could result in injury or worse & may not only impact a driver. I hope I'm wrong.
Oh no, you're quite right. Little risks, taken across a large enough fleet, become certain.
And it's also true that it's slightly selfish to do something that is convenient for oneself, but whose risk is not solely one's own.

But, we'd all be paralyzed if we had to calculate the risks of every action in life. Some things are clearly worth doing: wear a seatbelt, don't smoke. Other things are harder to calculate the risk/reward: check tyre pressure and inspect each tyre before driving, turn phone off when in car, never glance at MCU, etc.

If your original post is not a joke and you think tampering with autopilot to make your personal journey easier is clever you certainly do represent that remark.

If you're not prepared to show respect to other road users by paying due attention to the road as the law requires hand your drivers licence in and catch public transport or a taxi.
He didn't say he wasn't paying due attention to the road.
He's talking about mechanically disabling the alert.
I'd rather someone watched the road with the alert disabled than read a book with one hand on the wheel.

Since the Nag senses the resistance to movement by presence of your hand(s) on the steering wheel you can overcome it by attaching a number of elastic bands or strap to a fixed object such as a door or bag on the floor. Only a light pull is needed. A means for fast removal is also desirable. Good for long boring trips.
Let`s treat a level 2 system like a level 4 system, what could possibly happen.........

geez mods, why is this thread not deleted already.

Let`s treat a level 2 system like a level 4 system, what could possibly happen.........

geez mods, why is this thread not deleted already.
He's not treating it like a level 4 system, just disabling the alerts.
Nowhere did he say he's not paying attention and ready to take over.

If level2 can't allow you to keep your hands 10cm from the steering wheel, then what is the point of level 2?

• Love
Reactions: X-drvr and davidc18
He's not treating it like a level 4 system, just disabling the alerts.
Nowhere did he say he's not paying attention and ready to take over.
Yeah, that`s complete nonsense right there. Humans don´t work like that. At some point if you`re not forced to pay attention you will not pay attention. A few seconds are enough as can be seen by the latest fatal model x crash....

If level2 can't allow you to keep your hands 10cm from the steering wheel, then what is the point of level 2?
emergency breaking, lane keeping assistance, TACC etc are all great safety and comfort features and make for an overall more relaxed driving experience.

If you don`t deem that worth your money and insist on nag free autosteer, then you might want to wait another few years until at least level 4 on highways is available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.