Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definitive S Refresh Front Plate Bracket Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got the 3D printed version completed. It's available for sale on my Shapeways site...

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

There's a stainless steel version and also a plastic version. Some people have reported that the screws are very loosely torqued and therefore the plastic version MAY work just fine. The stainless version should remove the tightly torqued screws.

Reactions: jf2go
For anyone having an urge to reattach the holder, this from McMaster-Carr...

View attachment 180797

Can I just go to any hardware store and buy these screws? I had my S Expeled and Opticoated and they pulled off the double sided tape, treated the area then reattached. However 1 week later the tape came off unknown to me on a 200 mile trip and the movement of the plate holder loosened one of the screws which fell out on the road leaving me with a holder that was cockeyed and hanging on by one screw. I removed the holder but when missing 1 screw the plastic trim seems a little loose so I need a replacement screw. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 361
Can I just go to any hardware store and buy these screws? I had my S Expeled and Opticoated and they pulled off the double sided tape, treated the area then reattached. However 1 week later the tape came off unknown to me on a 200 mile trip and the movement of the plate holder loosened one of the screws which fell out on the road leaving me with a holder that was cockeyed and hanging on by one screw. I removed the holder but when missing 1 screw the plastic trim seems a little loose so I need a replacement screw. Thanks

I suspect these are metric threads but yeah, you should be able to go to a hardware store and find something that would work. Even if you would have to get a flat washer too in order to get coverage of the plastic. If you can remove the other screw take it with you so you can find out the exact thread size by screwing it into a nut. Home Depot has a reasonable selection of screws.

Double sticky tape doesn't still well to these coatings which are designed to keep things from sticking.

Oh, I would get stainless steel too.

All cars ship with the bracket installed regardless of state.

Supposedly had something to do with crash testing being done with front bracket installed.
Yeah, that smells like a story the SC would tell. When I collected there were 3 cars ready, 2 without brackets, one with (mine). According to my SC, it just depends on whether whoever took it to get inspected got the bracket removed first. But if it was inspected with the bracket, they won't remove it, or let you 'borrow' the tools to do it. I still don't see why they used such a funky bolt, it just pisses owner off.

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
I suspect these are metric threads but yeah, you should be able to go to a hardware store and find something that would work. Even if you would have to get a flat washer too in order to get coverage of the plastic. If you can remove the other screw take it with you so you can find out the exact thread size by screwing it into a nut. Home Depot has a reasonable selection of screws.

Double sticky tape doesn't still well to these coatings which are designed to keep things from sticking.

Oh, I would get stainless steel too.

Thanks

If it's cheaper than the tool everyone else is using on Amazon I'm in. But you only have a couple weeks to decide because I'm not leaving the service center without that plate removed.

Looks like the Shapeways by SlippinJimmie will be the most cost effective alternative. Wish I would have seen this tool before getting the one I needed made.

The screws aren't torqued too tight at all, but I would recommend still getting the stainless steal one just so you don't risk stripping the tool (0ver the plastic version).

I finally got the 3D printed version completed. It's available for sale on my Shapeways site...

Tesla License Plate Socket Adapter by SlippinJimmie on Shapeways

There's a stainless steel version and also a plastic version. Some people have reported that the screws are very loosely torqued and therefore the plastic version MAY work just fine. The stainless version should remove the tightly torqued screws.

Looks like the Shapeways by SlippinJimmie will be the most cost effective alternative. Wish I would have seen this tool before getting the one I needed made.

So let me get this straight, you guys bought a $100,000 car, but you're worried about the "cost effectiveness" of a $4 3D-printed part vs a $9 set of pliers from Amazon.

ROFL

Comes off easily enough. Started one bolt with hooked needle nose pliers I already had. I then found a socket I had that fit well enough to remove the second.

But there are marks from where the outer body colored bracket rubbed. :(
Anyway to remove these without doing full on polishing? I don’t really want to sand it a polish it.

CA does require a front plate, but enforcement is very lax. Many cars don't have one. I've been busted twice, once by a meter maid and the other by CHP. You get a $20 fix-it ticket. Put the plate back on via sticky tape and get the fix validated by your local police and mail the validated ticket back to the courthouse of record and you're done. Then remove the plate.

My present BMW 6 has the original German plate on the front and the CA plate over the German plate in the rear. Never a problem in 3 years.

I would just like to thank those that blazed a trail before me and made removing the front license plate an easy process. It took me 15 minutes.

I went with the following:

Amazon sourced 90 degree angle pliers, turning the screws the right way (righty loosy since you are dealing with upside down bolts), pulling from the bottom, and using a plastic disposable knife to cut away at the doubled sided tape.

I had minimal gunk to roll off with my fingers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    712.3 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 340
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 355
I would just like to thank those that blazed a trail before me and made removing the front license plate an easy process. It took me 15 minutes.

I went with the following:

Amazon sourced 90 degree angle pliers, turning the screws the right way (righty loosy since you are dealing with upside down bolts), pulling from the bottom, and using a plastic disposable knife to cut away at the doubled sided tape.

I had minimal gunk to roll off with my fingers.

Yes, I would like to thank all those and the collaborative effort as well.

I went pretty much with the same program. I tried the plastic tools but found I did not need them. My 90° pliers worked well on the screws (which was the easy part). Then just slowly pull the bracket away as also mentioned up thread.

In your excitement with the new look, don't forget to replace the screws as I did. I ended up finding some black screws and washers on hand that happen to fit (five days later).

Don't California cars require a front license plate?

That is more important than how pretty the car looks.

Important how? My Volt doesn't have a front plate and i've been driving it around for 5 months.

Im not seeing the "importance" of it.

If you want to see my plate you can take a few steps back to the rear of my car.

No plates on the face.

• Love
Reactions: DrManhattan
ZeroDarkSilver - Thank you for posting this. Had mine delivered yesterday to my home. Saw your post last night and removed mine this evening. I was able to purchase a 6" angled needle nose pliers for $4 at my local Menards (about a 45 deg bend). I'm sure a true 90 deg version would have made it slightly easier, but I had it done in 20 min, including getting adhesive balled off, going over it with Goo Off, washing with wet cloth, and then a quick polish.

Oh, and I like your taste in colors; mine 90D is also dark silver metallic.