Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definitive S Refresh Front Plate Bracket Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to remove my front plate mount today and to say I'm annoyed is an understatement... My bracket had the usual annoying two screws on the underside... But look at this s**t... 3 more screws through the front of the bracket into the bumper, what the hell is the point of the L-bracket then?! May as well screw the plate straight into the bumper! This bracket was installed direct from Tesla. I'm tempted to call them and give them a piece of my mind.

View attachment 288790
I would call and ask for replacement.

Reactions: democappy
Decided to remove my front plate mount today and to say I'm annoyed is an understatement... My bracket had the usual annoying two screws on the underside... But look at this s**t... 3 more screws through the front of the bracket into the bumper, what the hell is the point of the L-bracket then?! May as well screw the plate straight into the bumper! This bracket was installed direct from Tesla. I'm tempted to call them and give them a piece of my mind.

View attachment 288790

That’s ridiculous. Somebody goofed at the factory. Definitely ask them about it!

Back in 2013 when I got a civic SI, I had to call honda and make sure that they were not going to install a front license plate mount. I ended up going to the actually delivery center (not where I took delivery) and tracked down the techs to tell them if they drilled holes in my bumper I'd refuse delivery of the car.

I received my car perfectly unadulterated. I'd expect the same of Tesla.

Thanks to this guide I removed my front plate holder. My car is a 2016 MSP90D with 27k miles when I bought it. Everything came off just fine. All in all took me a few hours as the screws and glue were really in there good after close to two years and close to 30k miles. There are a few small indentations where the plate holder was which I guess is to be expected after the length of time it was on the car. It is unfortunate but still much better than having plate holder on. No one will notice unless they get eye level about a foot away from the bumper.

Just to add my 2 cents. I got the screws off very easily using an 11/32 socket and some epoxy. I just rolled up a little ball of J-B Weld WaterWeld epoxy putty and stuck it in the end of the socket and then stuck the socket on the screw and let it cure for 10min. Effectively took an impression of the screw head. It didn’t bond to the screw at all and was used again for the other screw. If you don’t have any epoxy at home, you should. That stuff is great to have around for just such an emergency.View attachment 253724

This is the solution I used today. Easy. I also used a tip from another member to saw off the plate goo with a polypropylene wrapping twine. It worked flawlessly.

Anybody have experience putting the front license plate bracket back on? Two years after successful plate removal I was pulled over and kindly reminded by the officer that I need a front plate in Illinois. That officer is always sitting there on my way to/from work and I know he'll see my car regularly. I could roll with it and pay the fine when/if he gets me again, but I gave him my word I'd get it back on.

I attempted reinstalling it for 30 minutes today... but it's not happening. The two underneath star screws don't go in deep enough to grab the threads - which sort of float above the holes. The screws are just long enough to grab the threads without the plastic license plate bracket, but not with that added thickness of the bracket.

I have three options in order of preference:
1) some nice soul gives me a great tip to get this to work
2) buy longer screws
2) go adhesive only and skip the bottom screws

Thoughts?

For those of you who bought the 3D printed one - is there anyone in the Phoenix area that would loan the tool for a few bucks? Mine are on there good enough that the rubber band technique didn't work (I haven't tried epoxy yet).

I also will be driving through LA, SF, and Sacramento next month.

I had mobile service out the other day but he wouldn't remove the screws (I figured the screws themselves are all I need gone, I can handle the rest, and that wouldn't affect crash testing because he wasn't removing the bracket... but no go).

Just a possible argument against removing the front plate: my car was backed into at low speed while someone was trying to get out of a parallel parking. I was in the car and felt the hit. Thankfully enough her bumper came in contact only with the front license plate and there was no apparent damage to the bumper. Just a thought if you parallel park on the street in a busy city!

Oh lordy, okay, just did this on my new 2018 Model S and what fun. The pliers struggled so I ended up using them closed to twist from one of the pentalobe edges, and that worked. My outer painted holder was screwed into the black mount that is double sided taped onto the car, so I had to remove the three normal screws for that.

But damn if the tape didn't have a TON of stick on that mount. I ended up having to use an all silicone spatula to get under the black mount and the bumper I was able to use that to get purchase and to break the tape bonds, going slowly, making sure it was perfectly clean. No hard plastic parts, all silicone, so soft enough not to leave a mark.

Then used rolling and sticking/grabbing technique to pull what was left. Took about a half hour but it's done and beautiful!

Anybody have experience putting the front license plate bracket back on? Two years after successful plate removal I was pulled over and kindly reminded by the officer that I need a front plate in Illinois. That officer is always sitting there on my way to/from work and I know he'll see my car regularly. I could roll with it and pay the fine when/if he gets me again, but I gave him my word I'd get it back on.

I attempted reinstalling it for 30 minutes today... but it's not happening. The two underneath star screws don't go in deep enough to grab the threads - which sort of float above the holes. The screws are just long enough to grab the threads without the plastic license plate bracket, but not with that added thickness of the bracket.

I have three options in order of preference:
1) some nice soul gives me a great tip to get this to work
2) buy longer screws
2) go adhesive only and skip the bottom screws

Thoughts?

can you take a screw to the hardware store and ask them to size fit you a regular bolt?
I would not trust adhesive tape with something that heavy and also on your paint.