Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in model X launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right but what percentage of the Model S D/AWD drivetrain is the *same* as the Model X. My guess is 95%+.
Wouldn't there be changes to facilitate Class III towing?
Interesting point but I was thinking the motors, differential, power adapter, and software to manage them would be the same. I was guessing towing would require chassis/frame and suspension would only need to be changed. Hmm... now you have me thinking about software changes they may need to make to worry about extra heat as an example. (Aside: Maybe air suspension will be required if you pick towing.)

Wouldn't there be changes to facilitate Class III towing?

The S/X "skateboard" would need a subframe as-is to do Class 3/4 towing. Since the Torque Central EcoHitch connects to the bumper mounts on the shell, I don't see anything like that working for 3/4 towing, no matter what the power and suspension capabilities are. I really think the rear subframe for the X is going to be a bit different than the S and will allow for mounting points of a fat steel assembly that the hitch connects to. Looking at the S's rear subframe, I don't see that happening so it's probably going to be different on the X.

(OMG! Speculation! ;) )

Interesting point but I was thinking the motors, differential, power adapter, and software to manage them would be the same. I was guessing towing would require chassis/frame and suspension would only need to be changed. Hmm... now you have me thinking about software changes they may need to make to worry about extra heat as an example. (Aside: Maybe air suspension will be required if you pick towing.)
Oh dear... I never thought of that (SAS required for towing). Interesting.

Yes they can do testing in the Southern Hemisphere. As I recall, they did the initial Roadster traction control testing in some Northern Europe country (Finland, Sweden?) on some frozen lake that all the auto manufacturers use.

The Southern Hemisphere is all of California below the Grapevine Pass, right? So you're thinking Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead? With the drought, I don't know. I was going to suggest Canada, but the entire country is on fire so I guess the snow melted, and that statement also applies to Alaska. </Sarcasm>

The Southern Hemisphere is all of California below the Grapevine Pass, right? So you're thinking Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead? With the drought, I don't know. I was going to suggest Canada, but the entire country is on fire so I guess the snow melted, and that statement also applies to Alaska. </Sarcasm>
Sorry if you got our forest fire smoke. It was miserable here for a couple of weeks. It was so hot, and couldn't open up the windows to let the cooler air in at night to cool things off because the smoke was so awful. I'd never seen it so bad.

Sorry if you got our forest fire smoke. It was miserable here for a couple of weeks. It was so hot, and couldn't open up the windows to let the cooler air in at night to cool things off because the smoke was so awful. I'd never seen it so bad.

Actually, I did encounter it in Minnesota. It reminded me of days in California with smog; mysterious orange daylight. Go plant some trees in the burned areas, OK? Whatever you like, even a maple tree. Let's all hope for some serious snowfall this winter in Canada and California. I can't imagine being in that zone.

Has anyone seen this post on the Tesla blog (emphasis is mine)

Three Dog DayBy Elon Musk, CEO

— 70 kWh rear drive Model S for $70k — 90 kWh battery pack option for $3k — 2.8 sec 0 to 60 mph upgrade to "Ludicrous Mode" First, I should address something that might be on your mind, like: "Where the heck is the Model X and the Model 3!? You should really get on that." Don't worry, those remain our focus and good progress is being made on both. X is on track for first deliveries in two months and Model 3 in just over two years.

Yes, and based on what Elon said on today's call, Eds info that supplier delays have been delaying the Model X launch seems spot on...

Just to be clear, you think what Elon said today was specific enough to corroborate this:

[deleted as per user's request]

If that's the case I would have to disagree. Nothing said at today's conference rises to the level of what Mr. Eds predicted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh give me a break. I said his info "seems" spot on. Not that there was point by point corroboration by Elon. On Eds 6 points:

1. Yes, based on what Elon said, sounds like they are still doing changes.
2. Sounds like current builds still will have prototype components.
3. Elon specifically said that some suppliers are having trouble ramping up. He didn't say that in so many words, but he did say delays would be due to the supplier with worst luck. He even said that some suppliers might have design problems, even now.
4. Eds didn't provide enough detail about this point.
5. This is speculation on Eds part, you can discount this. Having said that, did you notice that Elon wouldn't comment on doing or not doing another financing raise?
6. Eds' opinion.

OK?

Oh give me a break. I said his info "seems" spot on. Not that there was point by point corroboration by Elon. On Eds 6 points:

1. Yes, based on what Elon said, sounds like they are still doing changes.
2. Sounds like current builds still will have prototype components.
3. Elon specifically said that some suppliers are having trouble ramping up. He didn't say that in so many words, but he did say delays would be due to the supplier with worst luck. He even said that some suppliers might have design problems, even now.
4. Eds didn't provide enough detail about this point.
5. This is speculation on Eds part, you can discount this. Having said that, did you notice that Elon wouldn't comment on doing or not doing another financing raise?
6. Eds' opinion.

OK?

I was speaking the #2 of his characterization of a "successful launch" (the first #2).

The other stuff sounds both reasonable and to be expected for a new product to me.

And Tesla makes 20 changes per week to the S years into production, so #1 (the second #1) is hardly a stretch.

Well, I am hoping Eds first three point list (<100 cars delivered to customers by end of year) isn't correct either, but gosh, today's conference call didn't fill me with confidence. They have slipped overall yearly sales from 55,000 to 50,000. Elon went on and on about how Model X launch slipping a week here and there would impact quarterly numbers significantly, so this is obviously a real problem in his mind. He said they are still trying to figure out second row seats and some interior trim. It's pretty late in the game to be working on those items if you are going to be delivering cars in 2 months.