Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm scheduled for 11/24 delivery. Texted SA to see if I could visually inspect it before I wire everything in, but they refused. So I'm gonna sneak into the service center either on Wednesday when we have an early release or on Thanksgiving to look at the car. I, too, had not so good experience when we took delivery of the 2019 MX 100D. Lots of panel gap issues, and this particular service center claimed all within Tesla spec and refused to fix anything. I have to take it to another service center to have them all fixed.

Despite folks experiencing much better build quality, I will treat the 2023 MX to be the same crappy build quality as the 2019 MX we bought in the past. I will be more than happy if Tesla proves me wrong.

Why not take delivery at the place that fixed it last time?

When you're paying cost to six figures for a car you have every right to be picky has hell and point out every little thing to the Tesla guy and force them to either fix it or reject the delivery and hope the next one is better. I had a friend pick up her MX yesterday (2023 VIN) and she was so excited to get the car she didn't even do a walk around to look for the obvious things.

Reactions: explosive0
Wonder if there is a push now to hurry up and get these cars out which is causing the build quality issues. It seems as if the cars built a few weeks to a month before this batch was of superior build quality because they had more time for QA? Maybe they shifted some of the Y/3 line people to the X/S lines to pump units out and they are not used to the inspection quirks for the X/S.

When you're paying cost to six figures for a car you have every right to be picky has hell and point out every little thing to the Tesla guy and force them to either fix it or reject the delivery and hope the next one is better. I had a friend pick up her MX yesterday (2023 VIN) and she was so excited to get the car she didn't even do a walk around to look for the obvious things.
There’s logic to your point. I wonder if we should reflect on (1) the fact that with the X we’re buying a car with all doors (with the exception of the frunk) motorized and as such come with wider tolerance around their specs and (2) our past experience in accepting new (ICE) cars (that come nowhere near the level of innovative features of the X) without a magnifying glass.

On a related note, my (much younger) brother-in-law (a new Tesla owner…of a model 3) recently visited and pointed out all the gaps with my 2018 MS, a car I have owned and enjoyed owning relative to all my past ICE car ownership experience. After some reflection I shared with him that as with my S I never thought much about the gaps of the 12 ICE cars I previously owned and can’t honestly remember if these gaps are relatively wider or not. What I can with certainty declare is that I have not experienced any problems with my S that could remotely be related to these so-called gaps he pointed out to me.

I have to believe the negative experiences we have read on this forum are representative of outliers’. I found myself on this forum because of my recent MX order…to glean information on the timing of my delivery date and success of the FUSC transfer; I certainly did not join this forum to comment on / share my positive MS ownership experience…which I think is representative of the middle of the bell curve.

As I see myself as a middle-of-the-bell-curve person, not unique or special, certainly not an outlier with any bell curve I’ve ever been under, I fully expect my new MX and related ownership experience to also be that of the middle of the bell curve.

You can choose to see yourself anywhere under the bell curve you like; just realize your behavior will be a reflection of it. Don’t be so shocked then that there are others out there like your friend who may behave as an average / normal person precisely because they’re expecting average / normal return. Although you may see your friend’s behavior as abnormal, it is in fact your behavior that is.

Last edited:

... and how did that turn out for her?

I'm scheduled for 11/24 delivery. Texted SA to see if I could visually inspect it before I wire everything in, but they refused. So I'm gonna sneak into the service center either on Wednesday when we have an early release or on Thanksgiving to look at the car. I, too, had not so good experience when we took delivery of the 2019 MX 100D. Lots of panel gap issues, and this particular service center claimed all within Tesla spec and refused to fix anything. I have to take it to another service center to have them all fixed.

Despite folks experiencing much better build quality, I will treat the 2023 MX to be the same crappy build quality as the 2019 MX we bought in the past. I will be more than happy if Tesla proves me wrong.
Did you call the delivery center or asked to the texting rep?
I am in the same boat , I wonder if I drop by the SC I may find my car???

I can handle some misalignment and other defects. When I took delivery of my Y there were some misalignment issues in a couple places, a long scratch on a rear bumper piece (not painted part) and a hole in one of the door panels from a tool that obviously slipped during assembly.

I just reported them since at that time (and possibly still) you get 500 miles to find issues and report on the app as a delivery defect and depending on the issue, they send mobile repair or you bring into the service center. No sweat. Easy peasy.

Did you call the delivery center or asked to the texting rep?
I am in the same boat , I wonder if I drop by the SC I may find my car???
This is pretty sad on so many levels. How can anyone with a straight face say you cannot see your car before you pay for it? Funny thing is Tesla is probably the only company where that matters. I have actually bought all my new cars sight unseen - never worried about it. And most of those were special ordered with any transaction completed before seeing the car. Remember buying a new Ford and processing the paperwork and the guy asked what I thought about the car - told him I had not even seen it. He stopped everything to take me out to see the car. And for those who don't normally order cars, the widely moving EDD, last minute VIN assignment and 2 day window to pick up is NOT normal. It is Not rocket science to have a better system - pun intended.

This is pretty sad on so many levels. How can anyone with a straight face say you cannot see your car before you pay for it? Funny thing is Tesla is probably the only company where that matters. I have actually bought all my new cars sight unseen - never worried about it. And most of those were special ordered with any transaction completed before seeing the car. Remember buying a new Ford and processing the paperwork and the guy asked what I thought about the car - told him I had not even seen it. He stopped everything to take me out to see the car. And for those who don't normally order cars, the widely moving EDD, last minute VIN assignment and 2 day window to pick up is NOT normal. It is Not rocket science to have a better system - pun intended.
That’s pretty nice of that Ford dealership sales person; I’m curious if you know the % of the price of your car that went to the dealership he works for.

Regarding your rocket science comment, I find it ironic that a person with no rocket science experience calling out an entity that has / directly benefits from real world rocket science experience. Do you really think if you were put in the appropriate Tesla position that you could make it better?

Last edited:
Reactions: SOBX MX
The checklist is too long. what is the most obvious stuff I need to check while picking up(very soon), 5-6 items max. I am very nervous. I had 4 bmws e46 e53 e60 f10, build quality was 100%. This is the most I am paying for a car and first electric. not sure what to expect but all these scary stories prepared me a bit hahhha 😭

Last edited:
That’s pretty nice of that Ford dealership sales person; I’m curious if you know the % of the price of your car that went to the dealership he works for.

Regarding your rocker science comment, I find it ironic that a person with no rocket science experience calling out an entity that has / directly benefits from real world rocket science experience. Do you really think if you were put in the appropriate Tesla position that you could make it better?
Well first, how do you know that I have no rocket science experience? Second, scheduling production, managing deliveries, keeping customers up to date with accurate information is NOT Rocket Science. It is management skills - MBA would probably help more. And Yes I could absolutely do it better. This is not my first rodeo with Tesla. Bought a Model X 4 years ago. Back then they gave me a VIN only to find out they had built the car wrong. - 22" wheels that I did not order or want. This time when I ordered in October I had an EDD of Nov -Dec. Within a week it moved to Dec - Jan. A few days later moved to Jan 3 - Feb 28. There is No reason for that. There is NO reason to let someone know their car is ready - only a few days before they want you to pick it up - or threaten to sell it to someone else. My last ordered car '22 C8 Corvette, I knew @ month before it was built. I could contact someone and figure out the exact day and @ hour my car was being built. There was no rush for financing, insuring and picking up.

And as to pricing, yes I knew costs and sales price. Everything was negotiated before I stepped a foot on the dealership. Remember I said all my new cars have been bought sight unseen. Most people don't do that or order cars. It would be tragic for them to think their experience with Tesla is the Norm.

The checklist is too long. what is the most obvious stuff I need to check, 5-6 items. I am very nervous. I had 4 bmws e46 e53 e60 f10, build quality was 100%. This is the most I am paying for a car and first electric. not sure what to expect but all these scary stories prepared me a bit hahhha 😭
Do you recall the total cost of ownership of those BMW’s? While you’re at it, reflect on your those ownership experiences to establish a baseline from which you can compare to that of your new Tesla. As for me, those of mine from those of non-premium brands to that of Audi, BMW, Lexus, and Porsche were disappointingly similar and all paled in comparison to that of Tesla. Although I had moved on from one premium ICE automaker to the next after one car experience with each, I have been a repeat Tesla customer 3 times.

Last edited:
Well first, how do you know that I have no rocket science experience? Second, scheduling production, managing deliveries, keeping customers up to date with accurate information is NOT Rocket Science. It is management skills - MBA would probably help more. And Yes I could absolutely do it better. This is not my first rodeo with Tesla. Bought a Model X 4 years ago. Back then they gave me a VIN only to find out they had built the car wrong. - 22" wheels that I did not order or want. This time when I ordered in October I had an EDD of Nov -Dec. Within a week it moved to Dec - Jan. A few days later moved to Jan 3 - Feb 28. There is No reason for that. There is NO reason to let someone know their car is ready - only a few days before they want you to pick it up - or threaten to sell it to someone else. My last ordered car '22 C8 Corvette, I knew @ month before it was built. I could contact someone and figure out the exact day and @ hour my car was being built. There was no rush for financing, insuring and picking up.

And as to pricing, yes I knew costs and sales price. Everything was negotiated before I stepped a foot on the dealership. Remember I said all my new cars have been bought sight unseen. Most people don't do that or order cars. It would be tragic for them to think their experience with Tesla is the Norm.
We’ll Sir, perhaps you really are an outlier, Neo among us human batteries. I can only speak for myself but my Tesla experience has not been the norm from which I was conditioned to accept from my earlier body of ICE experiences. It has been superior. I did not have to deal with stealership people and their 4-square tactics with intentional delays to wear me down to acquire my car, did not have to bring my car in for service (mobile service came to take care of it), did not have to worry about service every few thousand miles to maintain my warranty, did not have to drive weekly to get gas and when I did, supercharging was free, did not have to consider trading my car for a newer model to get new features along the way, did not have to pay $2k for an updated map…to cite a few specifics. I do expect this superior experience to be the norm…with Tesla. I’m not simply buying a vehicle (just as I wasn’t buying a phone), like the iPhone I’m buying a Tesla and the ever-evolving ecosystem that comes with it. The car itself is not perfect, but taking in all as a whole, it’s overwhelmingly net positive. I can’t imagine ever getting a car from legacy manufacturers again. Been there for a long while and done that for a bit too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jufon