Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery call - WARNING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more I read the more I think Tesla is really abusing the fact they have a desirable product with little to no competition. There is really no excuse for the awful customer service they are demonstrating. They are losing a LOT of goodwill from their customers here that could cost them down the line. By demonstrating that they really don't care.
If and when I get my car, I will tell people who ask, "great car, just be prepared to be put through the wringer for one". @BubblegumPete is still being put through the wringer after delivery. Currently drives a Model S.

I've never shopped at DFS so I don't have an opinion. But a £13K saving is a £13K saving.

And I don't want an e-tron - horrible car. But I'll be very interested in an A6 EV when it eventually comes out in maybe 3 years.

No one is arguing that Tesla is way ahead of the game at the moment. But there are some on this forum who say it will be decades before other manufacturers catch up, and I think that is complete manure!

The idea with DFS is that they publish ridiculously high list prices and then offer large discounts to make you feel like you got a bargain. Basically Audi, BMW, Merc, VW etc all do much the same thing. 20%+ saving off list price is not particularly unusual unless you are buying something very desirable in short supply. Porsche for example don't tend to play this game, so you end up paying list price or very close. Tesla don't play this game at all on custom orders, but you can sometimes get decent discounts on new inventory cars (obviously not for Model 3 yet). The upshot of all this is that any widely available discounting just reduces your residual value accordingly.

I only used the e-tron as an example of how things can suddenly look a lot different when selling a new EV in high demand and short supply. At least Tesla are not threatening to charge customers for cancelling their orders as Audi franchised dealers are now doing.

Reactions: GraemeS and Yev000
The idea with DFS is that they publish ridiculously high list prices and then offer large discounts to make you feel like you got a bargain. Basically Audi, BMW, Merc, VW etc all do much the same thing. 20%+ saving off list price is not particularly unusual unless you are buying something very desirable in short supply. QUOTE]

That's true to an extent, but I don't think you'd ever get 20% off at a local dealership. Online brokers can match you up with dealerships that are anxious to move certain cars because of sales targets, excess stock etc. I live in NW England but my A6 was sourced from Exeter. I took my online quote to two local dealerships as I would happily have given them the business, but the most they could offer was a 12% discount. My car was delivered at 7.00pm on a Tuesday evening on a flatbed with 12 miles on the clock.

Anyone who is trying to cancel their e-tron deserves to be penalised for ordering a crap car in the first place :p

My mum's BMW 3 series (second hand) had a very bad smell after they washed it. Something about getting all that interior lining wet. Smelled like something died...

Must be a well used S. Mind you still better than an ICE loaner.

So I spoke with the delivery team earlier to inform them that I had rearranged things and was now available throughout the delivery window.

Before I got to that the agent told me I had a car allocated and I should expect a message soon confirming the exact date. So I'm left wondering what Friday's call was about !

I guess that there's an emerging theme which is you'll know you have your car when you are driving it out of the delivery centre. (and even at that I'm planning on driving fast and not stopping !)

@Artiste. So you basically have to use an online broker just to get a competitive price from a dealer hundreds of miles away. I know, I've done it myself. You end up wasting time at local dealers and then shopping around online for a much better deal. It's all a big pita to get the lowest price.

Buying a Tesla (at least when they weren't swamped with M3 orders) for me was a far better experience than dealing with franchised sales people and all their associated BS. Tesla customer service on the whole has actually been very good for me (dare I say better than Porsche, which I was getting fed up with) and that's one of the reasons why I decided to order an M3 as a second car. I didn't expect delivery of my M3 would be anything like as smooth as our MX given the current demand & supply, so I'm just waiting for it to arrive whenever. If I had needed a car urgently, I would have bought something else.

@Artiste. So you basically have to use an online broker just to get a competitive price from a dealer hundreds of miles away. I know, I've done it myself. You end up wasting time at local dealers and then shopping around online for a much better deal. It's all a big pita to get the lowest price.

Buying a Tesla (at least when they weren't swamped with M3 orders) for me was a far better experience than dealing with franchised sales people and all their associated BS. Tesla customer service on the whole has actually been very good for me (dare I say better than Porsche, which I was getting fed up with) and that's one of the reasons why I decided to order an M3 as a second car. I didn't expect delivery of my M3 would be anything like as smooth as our MX given the current demand & supply, so I'm just waiting for it to arrive whenever. If I had needed a car urgently, I would have bought something else.

Actually the only waste of time was going into the local dealerships to see if they could match the price, and I only did that because I prefer to support local businesses if I can. Apart from that the order process was ridiculously easy. I ordered online and received a phone call from the dealership within a couple of hours to confirm the price. A couple of emails to arrange payment and approximate delivery date. A phone call a few days before delivery to arrange specific date and time. And that was it. No haggling, no dodgy sales people telling porkies, no waiting for hours on hold, no unanswered emails.

The fact that the dealer was several hundred miles away was totally irrelevant, given that they delivered the car to my home at a time of my convenience, and within 48 hours of the original 12 week estimate. Not something Tesla will be offering anytime soon.

I went into VW garage today to put a reservation on an Id.3 - I couldn't, its all done online.

Apparently >15,000 UK reservations so far - I think that ship may have sailed, talking June 2020 not April now, but at least there was a ship to sail unlike a mythical one with our Model 3 on.

Reactions: Roy W.
I went into VW garage today to put a reservation on an Id.3 - I couldn't, its all done online.

Apparently >15,000 UK reservations so far - I think that ship may have sailed, talking June 2020 not April now, but at least there was a ship to sail unlike a mythical one with our Model 3 on.

That’s very interesting. The ID.3 looks like a very impressive car, at least on paper, and 15000+ reservations is certainly impressive. I presume that outstrips all the M3 reservations/orders to date, even though reservation has been available since 2016. I particularly like the sound of the “giant augmented reality head up display”, which I think is a major omission on the M3.

In range topping form it’s suppose to compete with the M3. I very much doubt it will match its performance, or anything like it, but it does look like it will have a similar range.

Of course there will be those who will dismiss it out of hand simply because it doesn’t have a “T” on the front.

It’s a strong indication of interest so not meaningless at all. It’s quite refreshing that they don’t want to take your money then sit on it for three years.

A waitlist which requires no commitment will have a much lower conversion rate to a paid deposit. As far as I see it’s just a newsletter which and is more of an indicator of how much they spend advertising it.

They will get more and more on to the waitlist depending on how much they spend on advertising, the more they spend the more interest they will get but what counts is the conversion rate to purchase.