Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery call - WARNING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sell millions of Golf diesels.

Scary isn't it? Who in the right mind would buy a brand new diesel in UK today...Yet lots sell.

Even if you go and buy a Kona you wont get it this year.

You recon there is a waiting list for a leaf? Last time I checked, the decent spec was ~35k and it was still *sugar*. Like non-telescopic steering wheel *sugar*... But Hey, at least you can have Android Auto

Here we go:

e+ Tekna £35,895 (grant already taken off) 62KWh battery

Max. Speed 90 MPH
Range (WLTP City Driving Cycle), milesUp to 242
Wheel size 17" Alloy
On-board charger, kW6.6
Port for Rapid Charger CHAdeMO type, kW50
Battery Charging (50kW Rapid Charger) from 20% to 80%, Around 60 min

Upholstery Black - Leather / Ultrasuede®

Has some cruise control features etc. Park assist is another 1k

No idea how fast they can deliver I'd loathe to call a dealer

Obv. no dedicated supercharger network

When you look at the KONA:

£35,145.00 for the top end with grant deducted

"Please note: Due to high demand, KONA Electric is no longer available in 2019. To reserve one of the next available cars you can add your details to our waiting list."

With an exceptional electric driving range of up to 279 miles
0-62 7.6 sec
279 miles of range
75 min "rapid charge" 20-80
max speed 104 - a bit better than the leaf
64 kWh battery

BMW i3

"Enjoy a top driving speed of 93mph and a range of up to 193 miles." From £35,350

I don't think I need to say any more....

Then you have ID 3

"Priced from £35,000 (est) | On sale Summer 2020"

Three battery options will eventually be offered, with even the smallest and cheapest delivering 205 miles in official Government tests. Meanwhile, the mid-range ID 3 – which will actually be the first to go on sale – offers 260 miles.

So the 35k model will get you ~200 miles - which is more like 180 real world.

"Volkswagen is hoping to sell 110,000 ID 3’s a year" That's just over how how many model 3s sell per quarter...

VS

SR+ for £36,490

Less than 1k difference for LEAF and just over for KONA, better wheels, better efficiency, faster charging, better trim (IMO) - at least you have full leather, definitely more comfortable driving position for someone tall.

Bear in mind that ALL of those cars would import via EU today with a £50 import duty. Tesla has to pay 10%. After Brexit all those EU imports might go up in price.

I’m not convinced. I don’t think there are any accurate figures as to how many people here have ordered an M3, but suggestions say 5-7K. And that includes people who made a reservation more than three years ago. If that’s the case I don’t think Tesla will sell 15K M3s by nest June. Indeed there are already indications that people who have been considering buying an M3 are now holding off for the ID-3.

What I am sure of is that the ID-3 will massively outsell the M3 when it’s released. Yes, I know that they are not competing for an identical market, but there is certainly some overlap.
VW will not be selling this car in large numbers if they can possibly help it. Rather, they will produce rather limited volumes, and run expensive advertising for it, to fool the politicians and regulators that they are serious about electric cars.
You may be aware that VW have something of a history when it comes to fooling politicians and regulators! Believe nothing they say. Wait until there is a car on a lot that you can test drive and buy.

VW will not be selling this car in large numbers if they can possibly help it. Rather, they will produce rather limited volumes, and run expensive advertising for it, to fool the politicians and regulators that they are serious about electric cars.
You may be aware that VW have something of a history when it comes to fooling politicians and regulators! Believe nothing they say. Wait until there is a car on a lot that you can test drive and buy.
I think you will find that there are in excess of 15k, possibly 20k now, paid deposits on UK Id.3 orders.

Here we go:

e+ Tekna £35,895 (grant already taken off) 62KWh battery

Max. Speed 90 MPH
Range (WLTP City Driving Cycle), milesUp to 242
Wheel size 17" Alloy
On-board charger, kW6.6
Port for Rapid Charger CHAdeMO type, kW50
Battery Charging (50kW Rapid Charger) from 20% to 80%, Around 60 min

Upholstery Black - Leather / Ultrasuede®

Has some cruise control features etc. Park assist is another 1k

Obv. no dedicated supercharger network

"Please note: Due to high demand, KONA Electric is no longer available in 2019. To reserve one of the next available cars you can add your details to our waiting list."

0-62 7.6 sec
279 miles of range
64 kWh battery

BMW i3

"Enjoy a top driving speed of 93mph and a range of up to 193 miles." From £35,350

I don't think I need to say any more....

Then you have ID 3

"Priced from £35,000 (est) | On sale Summer 2020"

Three battery options will eventually be offered, with even the smallest and cheapest delivering 205 miles in official Government tests. Meanwhile, the mid-range ID 3 – which will actually be the first to go on sale – offers 260 miles.

So the 35k model will get you ~200 miles - which is more like 180 real world.

"Volkswagen is hoping to sell 110,000 ID 3’s a year" That's just over how how many model 3s sell per quarter...

VS

SR+ for £36,490

Less than 1k difference for LEAF and just over for KONA, better wheels, better efficiency, faster charging, better trim (IMO) - at least you have full leather, definitely more comfortable driving position for someone tall.

The reason I went for the SR+ is pretty much exactly as you have written. Not that much more than the competition as far as price, miles ahead in every other area.

Now, if only it would hurry up and get here....

0-62 7.6 sec
279 miles of range
64 kWh battery

Bear in mind that ALL of those cars would import via EU today with a £50 import duty. Tesla has to pay 10%. After Brexit all those EU imports might go up in price.

I walked into a Nissan dealer and asked whether I could use a Nissan family discount but they told me no as the car was in high demand.I asked about delivery lead time and he said it would be at least a month... wow, high demand indeed!

I would actually have bought an e-Niro over the Model3 but the sales guy said he coudn't promiseit would be delivered in 2019 (and this was in March)

Regarding leaving the EU: Hyundai are already charging reservation holders more as they'vechanged the spec and aren't honoring previous pricesso I'm pretty sure anyBrexit related price increases will also be passed on :(

I walked into a Nissan dealer and asked whether I could use a Nissan family discount but they told me no as the car was in high demand.I asked about delivery lead time and he said it would be at least a month... wow, high demand indeed!

I would actually have bought an e-Niro over the Model3 but the sales guy said he coudn't promiseit would be delivered in 2019 (and this was in March)

Regarding leaving the EU: Hyundai are already charging reservation holders more as they'vechanged the spec and aren't honoring previous pricesso I'm pretty sure anyBrexit related price increases will also be passed on :(

I am on the waiting list for a Kona, since 11th May. Other than the initial email there has been absolutely nothing. It's a backwards world when you can buy a Tesla more easily than a Hyundai. The big manufacturers are sleeping.

Reactions: Roy W.
would actually have bought an e-Niro over the Model3

Top speed 104mph
0-60mph 6.9sec
The cabin looks like it came from 2005.... But i suppose that's personal taste

It is a fair bit cheaper (about 4k)

Another thing to keep in mind is the safety aspect. Tesla has proven accident prevention as it monitors blind-spots. None of the other EVs with the same range and price have that.

I also don't think it will age as well as a Model 3.

The "con" in the whatcar review is "A fair bit pricier than a Nissan Leaf". Can't imagine buying the cheaper versions of the Leaf....

And of course it'll be here in 2020.

I am on the waiting list for a Kona, since 11th May. Other than the initial email there has been absolutely nothing. It's a backwards world when you can buy a Tesla more easily than a Hyundai. The big manufacturers are sleeping.
The salesman at the dealer actually told me he'd rather not take my money,because as a franchised dealer they were lower on Kia's list than some others.

Reactions: TestPilot
Top speed 104mph
0-60mph 6.9sec
The cabin looks like it came from 2005.... But i suppose that's personal taste

I prefer the higher seating position of the SUV given my bad knee and still have concerns about having to travel from Newcastle to Leeds/Edinburgh for service issues.

The Kia and SR+ would both work out at under £100/month after offsetting against my monthly diesel habit but unfortunately I can't help but want the best (FOMO) so SR+ quickly became P+ :D

I'm sure the 3 will go to my wife once the Y or something comparable is available.