Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery call - WARNING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that it will be a £750 fully refundable deposit to get on the waiting list (not sure when they will be asking for that), although mailing list signup seems to be free so VW will be sitting on your money about a year - not that VW need your money unlike some other manufacturers might.

Its officially fully revealed at Frankfurt motor show mid September and whilst there are a few reviews already, they are late prototypes/pre-production and no shots/comments on the dashboard. I'm expecting full details to be known by time we have to fully commit to Tesla so some benefit being pushed to back of line.

But I think its going to be just a bit too late arriving for us (I dithered a few months back when Tesla delivery looked imminent and Id.3 delivery expectations have now shifted from April to June) and I think load space may be a little small but £750 puts another option into the arena - its the only other EV I would consider on the list now and upcoming, other than the other two models in Id range. Really like the idea of the Buzz campervan so may consider trading up from compact ICE as second (occasional use) car to that in a few years.

Last edited:
A waitlist which requires no commitment will have a much lower conversion rate to a paid deposit. As far as I see it’s just a newsletter which and is more of an indicator of how much they spend advertising it.

They will get more and more on to the waitlist depending on how much they spend on advertising, the more they spend the more interest they will get but what counts is the conversion rate to purchase.

Has this car actually been advertised? There have been some low key articles in the press, but if there have been any paid for adverts then I’ve missed them. In reality I think the 15K+ people who have signed up so far are people who follow the emerging EV market with a keen interest, and therefore the conversion rate is likely to be very high.

Has this car actually been advertised? There have been some low key articles in the press, but if there have been any paid for adverts then I’ve missed them. In reality I think the 15K+ people who have signed up so far are people who follow the emerging EV market with a keen interest, and therefore the conversion rate is likely to be very high.

There’s a billboard for it in Sheffield right now, saw it last night.

meanwhile Tesla will sell 15k before they release the first batch

I’m not convinced. I don’t think there are any accurate figures as to how many people here have ordered an M3, but suggestions say 5-7K. And that includes people who made a reservation more than three years ago. If that’s the case I don’t think Tesla will sell 15K M3s by nest June. Indeed there are already indications that people who have been considering buying an M3 are now holding off for the ID-3.

What I am sure of is that the ID-3 will massively outsell the M3 when it’s released. Yes, I know that they are not competing for an identical market, but there is certainly some overlap.

Reactions: ACarneiro and RjbT3
What I am sure of is that the ID-3 will massively outsell the M3 when it’s released. Yes, I know that they are not competing for an identical market, but there is certainly some overlap.

This puts a lot of faith into VW to actually be able to deliver the car without shutting it down after a few months due to demand issues. Look at the golf GTE model on the VW website that you haven’t been able to order for 2 years+

Assuming VW doesn’t switch prices or specs, I believe the ID will sell but whether VW can or want to deliver it on mass is another thing.

What I am sure of is that the ID-3 will massively outsell the M3 when it’s released.
That’s always assuming VW can get hold of batteries in the quantities they need. They are sourcing from three different battery suppliers, but they’ve already had a problem with Samsung, and one of the others is LG Chem, who are the supplier for the Hyundai and Kia EVs, which are all production constrained by the shortage of batteries!

And then there’s the battery supply problems with the Audi e-tron causing them to revise production down...

I won’t be convinced until I see loads of them on the road!

I don’t think there are any accurate figures as to how many people here have ordered an M3, but suggestions say 5-7K.

Over 8k in UK now. We are above 8400 based on the order numbers reported on this forum.

You assume they will have batteries to build 500k cars to outsell today. Will probably close to 1 million M3s by the time ID-3 starts to ship.

So not sure why you think it'll outsell.

Its been reported that Model 3 reservations 3 years ago were 600k+. A lot of those cancelled. So that 15k ID-3 reservations will probably translate to a lot less sales, depending on how good they are and how fast they make them.

Will be interesting to watch, but I certainly don't thin VW will have an easy time of it.

Oh and before you go on about build quality.... You should see the paint runs and panel gaps on my 2012 VW Sharan. Knowing what I know now I'd never buy that car again. And the damn thing rusts (which is not covered under warranty, as VW UK so adamantly told me, it has to be completely rusted through from the inside before they claim it underneath rust warranty.

Over 8k in UK now. We are above 8400 based on the order numbers reported on this forum.

You can't trust Tesla invoice numbers. We know that they give people a new invoice number on delivery, and also a new invoice number when people change their spec.

I don't know how to estimate how common changes in specification have been, but my gut instinct is the true number of orders is probably ~7.5k.

There isn’t necessarily anything wrong with advertising but it adds to costs which they have to factor into the car costs at a later date. I presume they advertise on TV, magazines, billboards and articles which has got them a good few sign ups.

Back on topic I’ve had no update since the delivery brought forward to 7-20 August text. No final invoice in my account either. All of which suits me so far as I can’t collect until after 12th anyway and at this point on 6 August I reckon it’s unlikely to be earlier. Hopefully :)

I have a final invoice which has a delivery date of 13/08, so looks like weekend email may not be right. Then again as I haven’t had a call or email to say what time next Tuesday delivery is due who knows. At least the invoice payment figure is correct and the VIN matches what’s in the source code, so that’s a plus compared to some.

What I am sure of is that the ID-3 will massively outsell the M3 when it’s released. .

You're forgetting that for both cars deliveries are gated not by how many people will buy them, but by how many can be manufactured. VWs plans for the volume of ID.3 production are not exactly very ambitious if compared to those of Tesla, and cranking up volumes is not that easy (especially not for VW, which does not manufacture its batteries).

I expect at some point it might even become easier to get a Model Y than an ID.3.

A waitlist which requires no commitment will have a much lower conversion rate to a paid deposit. As far as I see it’s just a newsletter which and is more of an indicator of how much they spend advertising it.

They will get more and more on to the waitlist depending on how much they spend on advertising, the more they spend the more interest they will get but what counts is the conversion rate to purchase.

That's right. Over on the VW ID.3 forum there are now loads of them jumping ship to order an M3.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Actually the only waste of time was going into the local dealerships to see if they could match the price, and I only did that because I prefer to support local businesses if I can. Apart from that the order process was ridiculously easy. I ordered online and received a phone call from the dealership within a couple of hours to confirm the price. A couple of emails to arrange payment and approximate delivery date. A phone call a few days before delivery to arrange specific date and time. And that was it. No haggling, no dodgy sales people telling porkies, no waiting for hours on hold, no unanswered emails.

The fact that the dealer was several hundred miles away was totally irrelevant, given that they delivered the car to my home at a time of my convenience, and within 48 hours of the original 12 week estimate. Not something Tesla will be offering anytime soon.

I don't see what relevance ordering a pre-reg stock car from a broker has to do with this situation. You will be able to do the same with a Model 3 once there is inventory stock, like you can with a Model S or X today. Except there will be no broker and no dealership involved.

The ID.3 is a more comparable situation to the M3, so maybe you should go on the waiting list (free isn't it?) and then sit around for a couple of years until they actually produce some.

Reactions: LEE3 and Yev000
It’s a strong indication of interest so not meaningless at all. It’s quite refreshing that they don’t want to take your money then sit on it for three years.

Go for it then. Bet you don't get a car this year and probably not next year either. There's nothing refreshing about vapourware cars. They are going to trundle these out as slooooooowly as they dare so as not to upset their franchised dealerships trying to sell millions of Golf diesels.