Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery call - WARNING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty brutal treatment! Just a thought - could you not tell them yes you are available and wait to get a confirmed date, chances are it won't be the dates you are away. If it is, just ring them the day before & say you are sick and will be there to collect in 48 hours (after you are back!)

Thought this too, but depends if you feel guilty incase you can't make it!

I was very unimpressed by the central UK delivery team. They sent me a date for delivery on Wed 14th August morning at 9am in Edinburgh that I couldn't make. I thought I should call the delivery team as opposed to my local Edinburgh SA. Big mistake. I was on hold for an hour. When they answered I told them I couldn't make the date I had been given. The response was "so you don't want your car in August then"! I replied I most definitely wanted it in August just needed to rearrange the date. He was entirely unable to help and suggested I call Edinburgh. Which I did - they were incredibly helpful and arranged a time on a Saturday morning - in August.

I can't believe dates are just arranged with no input from the customer. I presume most people buying a >£100k car work quite a lot of hours like I do. If they are going to do it this way it would help to at least provide contact details on the email of someone to contact to sort out the inevitable rearrangement!

Rant over. 2 weeks and one day until MX time :D

Reactions: Roy W.
Folks, this is exactly how the first batches of 3's were delivered in the US. The stores don't have space (and no, renting a parking lot, arranging for security, putting fences around it and arranging for transportation isn't an answer).

I got my call Friday at Lunch, I got the car on Saturday at lunch.

If you aren't able to pick up, you'll get requeued. Maybe a day or two leeway. But they are going to be pushing SO MANY cars out, they just can't slow the process. Plus, there's a LOT of people behind you in delivery that want it ti be even faster.
This also means that a lot of people that haven't gotten VINs assigned may get that call that a car is available at the last minute.

Folks, this is exactly how the first batches of 3's were delivered in the US. The stores don't have space (and no, renting a parking lot, arranging for security, putting fences around it and arranging for transportation isn't an answer).

I got my call Friday at Lunch, I got the car on Saturday at lunch.

If you aren't able to pick up, you'll get requeued. Maybe a day or two leeway. But they are going to be pushing SO MANY cars out, they just can't slow the process. Plus, there's a LOT of people behind you in delivery that want it ti be even faster.
This also means that a lot of people that haven't gotten VINs assigned may get that call that a car is available at the last minute.
I get it, but having to have a period of 12 consecutive days where you're available EVERY day isn't going to work for me.

Reactions: RjbT3
We are in a similar business that relies on people picking up on time. It is a freakin nightmare when they don’t. A single case might be ok but it gets out of hand REAL FAST. No where to store, security, insurance. It’s not as easy as it sounds. I feel for the OP but lean towards Tesla on this one.

Hope you get your Tesla soon and that it is everything you hoped for.

Safe travels.

I was very unimpressed by the central UK delivery team. They sent me a date for delivery on Wed 14th August morning at 9am in Edinburgh that I couldn't make. I thought I should call the delivery team as opposed to my local Edinburgh SA. Big mistake. I was on hold for an hour. When they answered I told them I couldn't make the date I had been given. The response was "so you don't want your car in August then"! I replied I most definitely wanted it in August just needed to rearrange the date. He was entirely unable to help and suggested I call Edinburgh. Which I did - they were incredibly helpful and arranged a time on a Saturday morning - in August.

I can't believe dates are just arranged with no input from the customer. I presume most people buying a >£100k car work quite a lot of hours like I do. If they are going to do it this way it would help to at least provide contact details on the email of someone to contact to sort out the inevitable rearrangement!

Rant over. 2 weeks and one day until MX time :D
I think they really need to learn some basic manners.

I’ve visited four different Tesla sites, and I’ve had the whole range of staff, from so helpful you feel like adopting them, to so sullen, disinterested and even downright insolent that I walked out. They might make amazing cars, but the customer experience is absolutely crap!

Interesting. And concerning. It’s basic customer service to agree a delivery date with the customer, not a “take it or leave it” scenario.

I have a new delivery window of 7-20 August but am on holiday so can only pick up between 13-20 August with those dates. I was quite happy with the original window of 17-24 August. If they’re not flexible enough to accommodate when I am available to pick up the £50k car I’ve ordered I’m tempted to tell them to stick it right where the sun don’t shine.

But I won’t. Probably. o_O Grrrr.

Reactions: RjbT3 and navt
We are in a similar business that relies on people picking up on time. It is a freakin nightmare when they don’t. A single case might be ok but it gets out of hand REAL FAST. No where to store, security, insurance. It’s not as easy as it sounds. I feel for the OP but lean towards Tesla on this one.

I understand that completely - but when the business is reliant on picking up on time surely there should be a decent system in place to easily arrange a mutually acceptable time? Just sending an email with one specific time and no contact details will result in the opposite of what they are trying to acheive?!

Interesting. And concerning. It’s basic customer service to agree a delivery date with the customer, not a “take it or leave it” scenario.

I have a new delivery window of 7-20 August but am on holiday so can only pick up between 13-20 August with those dates. I was quite happy with the original window of 17-24 August. If they’re not flexible enough to accommodate when I am available to pick up the £50k car I’ve ordered I’m tempted to tell them to stick it right where the sun don’t shine.

But I won’t. Probably. o_O Grrrr.

You know all this is part of Tesla's process to keep the buyers wanting more, just mess with people prior to pickup to gauge interest. Your reactions will be recorded and sent to Elon to see how far they can push next time.

Anyone who has waited for the car isn't going to give up at the final hurdle unless they have buyers remorse or a genuine reason why they can't continue with the purchase.

If we wanted to be easy from the start we would have brought an overpriced ICE car from a stealer-ship

You know all this is part of Tesla's process to keep the buyers wanting more, just mess with people prior to pickup to gauge interest. Your reactions will be recorded and sent to Elon to see how far they can push next time.

Anyone who has waited for the car isn't going to give up at the final hurdle unless they have buyers remorse or a genuine reason why they can't continue with the purchase.

If we wanted to be easy from the start we would have brought an overpriced ICE car from a stealer-ship

Funny. To a degree. It’s not “giving up at the final hurdle” to be on holiday in another country and unable to pick up the car for a few days of the stated delivery window. But available for the rest of it. It’s basic customer service to AGREE with the customer a date within the delivery window that works for both parties. If none of the delivery window is possible that’s a different matter.

Funny. To a degree. It’s not “giving up at the final hurdle” to be on holiday in another country and unable to pick up the car for a few days of the stated delivery window. But available for the rest of it. It’s basic customer service to AGREE with the customer a date within the delivery window that works for both parties. If none of the delivery window is possible that’s a different matter.

Its only giving up at the final hurdle once your request a refund, everything else is just a Tesla Delay Enhancement tactic so you like the car even more when you do get it

In this situation If they called me I would say I was available for the whole delivery window (unless I was actually unavailable throughout the whole window) and then wait until an actual fixed date was confirmed before deciding whether or not I could actually pick it up. They appear to have zero flexibility on M3 delivery right now and just getting them out of the door as quickly as possible. But it was never going to be a good time to take delivery of an M3 with such a large backlog of orders and limited UK staff with any real experience.

I had the 12-25th text, then rang up because I’m away on the last couple of days of that window, and the lady I spoke to put a note on my account, and was absolutely fine about it.

I then got the update for 7-20th, but I’m away for the first couple of days of this window. I rang up again, and the guy I spoke to said that when I get the final text/call with a fixed time, just tell them then I can’t do it, and they will rearrange it for a few days later..

Just sounds like it’s pot luck who you speak to.. I’ve only ever spoken to helpful and nice people on the phone

I had the 12-25th text, then rang up because I’m away on the last couple of days of that window, and the lady I spoke to put a note on my account, and was absolutely fine about it.

I then got the update for 7-20th, but I’m away for the first couple of days of this window. I rang up again, and the guy I spoke to said that when I get the final text/call with a fixed time, just tell them then I can’t do it, and they will rearrange it for a few days later..

Just sounds like it’s pot luck who you speak to.. I’ve only ever spoken to helpful and nice people on the phone

I’ve not had a call yet for exact delivery date but would agree with you on this. The couple of calls I have had with Tesla have been great. Friendly and helpful. So I’m hoping when I get “the” call to narrow it down to a specific date, that I get the same approach. If not I’ll be very p***ed off.

Exactly what I would do. At that point it will be more hassle for them to re-allocate the car vs holding it for a few days while you can pick it up.

Reactions: Roy W.
Couple of questions for anyone who has a final invoice. Did you get the same call as me asking if you wouldn't be available (or am I being picked on ? lol)
Also what is the delivery date on the final invoice - mine (sent before they reallocated) said 21st August which was the day after the last date of my delivery window. Is that a default or when they actually expect(ed) to deliver ?