Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery cancellations - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that’s true. I am too but my IDA says I should see a final amount online before delivery.

Have you confirmed that your car is at your delivery center? If so how? Through your IDA or the delivery center itself?

My IDA kept telling me that she would expedite the paperwork to get me the MVPA. Then, she realized I was financing through Tesla and said I would not get an MVPA in advance I would just handle (sign) all at the delivery center. The delivery center did call me two days ago and advised the car was there and that they will handle all the paperwork.

So, I am still believing I get my M3 tomorrow as I have sent them all my don payments.

My IDA kept telling me that she would expedite the paperwork to get me the MVPA. Then, she realized I was financing through Tesla and said I would not get an MVPA in advance I would just handle (sign) all at the delivery center. The delivery center did call me two days ago and advised the car was there and that they will handle all the paperwork.

So, I am still believing I get my M3 tomorrow as I have sent them all my don payments.

Nice congrats. I am scheduled for delivery Saturday but as of yesterday my car was supposedly still in transit and “as long as there are no transportation delays it should arrive in the next day or so.” That would be today “or so.” Not feeling confident and kind of upset if I don’t take delivery on time because they initially told me I could take delivery on the 17th. And then the 21st after we figured out all of the details. We mutually agreed upon the 25th. You would have thought they would still send it for arrival by the 21st to have time to detail and test.

Poor management.

• Funny
Reactions: Teslie
I've had a similar issue, except I didn't find out about delivery delay until i got to the appointment and waited for 30-40 min. This was at the Costa Mesa delivery center (I live in Long Beach).

8/22 - Delivery scheduled -- While waiting at Costa Mesa Delivery center, was informed that my car wasnt ready. I "should receive an update by 8/24 COB". Tesla Delivery center noted that there was a communication breakdown between Tesla Rep and Delivery center which was "out of their control".

8/23 - Called my Tesla Rep who informed me that car had "Emergency Break stuck" issue and i would receive a new VIN. Tesla Rep made it seem as though issue came up last minute, while delivery center made it seem as though car was still in Production plant.

My issue is that because my CU loan is tied to the VIN, i had to return my cashier's check from CU and have loan papers redrawn due to the VIN number change. They now have to close out loan and create a new loan (as they can't simply swap VIN numbers on document) and re-issue a new check. I also had to cancel insurance coverage on the vehicle since they noted it would be a minimum at the earliest that anything would happen. All in all, this is turning out to be the worst new car purchasing experiences.

Also, I informed the Tesla folks that I sold my vehicle (Volt) after a delivery date was confirmed by Tesla and was provided with a Mercedes C300 rental as no Tesla loaners were available.

The excuses for the delays aren't adding up. There are now dozens of examples where the reason for the delay doesn't align with the circumstances. I will await for further details, but at this point I do not trust what either my Rep or Tesla Delivery Center is communicating.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Teslie
I've had a similar issue, except I didn't find out about delivery delay until i got to the appointment and waited for 30-40 min. This was at the Costa Mesa delivery center (I live in Long Beach).

8/22 - Delivery scheduled -- While waiting at Costa Mesa Delivery center, was informed that my car wasnt ready. I "should receive an update by 8/24 COB". Tesla Delivery center noted that there was a communication breakdown between Tesla Rep and Delivery center which was "out of their control".

8/23 - Called my Tesla Rep who informed me that car had "Emergency Break stuck" issue and i would receive a new VIN. Tesla Rep made it seem as though issue came up last minute, while delivery center made it seem as though car was still in Production plant.

My issue is that because my CU loan is tied to the VIN, i had to return my cashier's check from CU and have loan papers redrawn due to the VIN number change. They now have to close out loan and create a new loan (as they can't simply swap VIN numbers on document) and re-issue a new check. I also had to cancel insurance coverage on the vehicle since they noted it would be a minimum at the earliest that anything would happen. All in all, this is turning out to be the worst new car purchasing experiences.

Also, I informed the Tesla folks that I sold my vehicle (Volt) after a delivery date was confirmed by Tesla and was provided with a Mercedes C300 rental as no Tesla loaners were available.

The excuses for the delays aren't adding up. There are now dozens of examples where the reason for the delay doesn't align with the circumstances. I will await for further details, but at this point I do not trust what either my Rep or Tesla Delivery Center is communicating.

Yeah I don’t understand how they are managing this so poorly. They have the cars. Send them where they need to go.

Yeah I don’t understand how they are managing this so poorly. They have the cars. Send them where they need to go.

I think you should start a car company, design a completely new type of vehicle, manufacture them by the 100K and deliver them all perfectly on time to millions of people around the country and around the world with no issues or delays whatsoever. You obviously know more than Tesla about the engineering and logistics of such a prospect, you'd be great at it! It's so easy that if you don't do it, I'm going to start on it as soon as I finish this crossword puzzle.

I don't have an issue with the re-work issue -- that is expected with a new company, especially in this industry. My issue is with a lack of internal coordination and lack of timely communication with customers. From this forum and several others on the web, folks are getting different answers as to why their vehicles are delayed. Bottom line -- if the car isn't ready -- don't spool up your customer base. It's all about managing expectations.

I don't have an issue with the re-work issue -- that is expected with a new company, especially in this industry. My issue is with a lack of internal coordination and lack of timely communication with customers. From this forum and several others on the web, folks are getting different answers as to why their vehicles are delayed. Bottom line -- if the car isn't ready -- don't spool up your customer base. It's all about managing expectations.

This right here.

I got 3 different reasons why my delivery is delayed within 5 mins, that just doesn't pass the sniffing test.

I told the ID Super that bad news is better than surprise your customers in the last minutes. Surprises are ivettaove, especially when they are bad ones…

• Love
Reactions: neroden

Exactly. Freaking communicate accurately.

• Love

If you can’t admit that their communication is awful I don’t know what to tell you. I know i can’t run a car company better but I’d definitely make sure communication was better than this. Don’t schedule deliveries if you can’t ensure the car will be here.

• Love
If they don't schedule delivery they won't have the incentive to provide to the customers in order for us to pay up. Especially for us Texas would-be owners we have to pay the balance in full before they would schedule our deliveries so one way to get the cash out of us is to schedule deliveries. Whether the delivery dates are realistic or not that's another matter because at least they get cash.

Given Tesla is now under pressure to turn a profit in Q3 I wouldn't be surprised if the IDAs were instructed to schedule as many deliveries as possible to meet that goal…

If they don't schedule delivery they won't have the incentive to provide to the customers in order for us to pay up. Especially for us Texas would-be owners we have to pay the balance in full before they would schedule our deliveries so one way to get the cash out of us is to schedule deliveries. Whether the delivery dates are realistic or not that's another matter because at least they get cash.

Given Tesla is now under pressure to turn a profit in Q3 I wouldn't be surprised if the IDAs were instructed to schedule as many deliveries as possible to meet that goal…

That would help with cash flow but not profit. Revenue should only be claimed after the car has been physically delivered.

That would help with cash flow but not profit. Revenue should only be claimed after the car has been physically delivered.

Not necessarily, given that all Texas deliveries have to have the balance paid in full and MVPA signed prior of the car leave Fremont I think Tesla can make a good case to claim that as revenue.

It's all about how they define a 'sale' is, there are definitely wiggle rooms in there based on my corporate experience.

Not necessarily, given that all Texas deliveries have to have the balance paid in full and MVPA signed prior of the car leave Fremont I think Tesla can make a good case to claim that as revenue.

It's all about how they define a 'sale' is, there are definitely wiggle rooms in there based on my corporate experience.

True, all the paperwork is complete for delivery, so you have a point there. Clearly they should not consider the sale complete until car is actually delivered, but from a paperwork standpoint it is complete, so may be hard to differentiate.

I’m another Texas resident that just had their deliver date pushed back (4 weeks) after initially being provided a quick delivery estimate that resulted in me quickly remitting payment in full.

Regarding payment in full: this absolutely benefits Tesla’s cash flow and balance sheet. However, they can only recognize the revenue when the car is delivered (see page 69 of their 2017 Form 10-K). Delivery is a standard US GAAP revenue recognition principle and Tesla’s disclosure is consistent with other US public companies.

Expect a big September delivery push to help Q3 revenue / profit and deliveries.

Also posted in the Texas Hold Up thread, but I order in April 2016. Paid in full on 8/6 and was scheduled a tentative delivery of 8/21. That was rescheduled for 8/24 which didn't happen. I'm now waiting for my 3rd delivery date and hopefully will get it. I'm told that it has been delivered to the Texas Railhub and is waiting to be transported to the Dallas Service Center but is held up by logisitcs. Seems to be a common answer in Texas.

Also posted in the Texas Hold Up thread, but I order in April 2016. Paid in full on 8/6 and was scheduled a tentative delivery of 8/21. That was rescheduled for 8/24 which didn't happen. I'm now waiting for my 3rd delivery date and hopefully will get it. I'm told that it has been delivered to the Texas Railhub and is waiting to be transported to the Dallas Service Center but is held up by logisitcs. Seems to be a common answer in Texas.

Maybe have a little more patience?