Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery day advice...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the unveil with the sheet is part of the handover
I’m in two minds about this feels a bit daft but I kinda like it

I felt a bit of a Muppet standing there whilst they whisked the sheet off (but I did video it).

My car was ordered before facelift, but delivered "after the cusp" (had had that info confirmed via Email) so I might have looked a bit disappointed at the actual car once the sheet was removed - Classic nosecone ... but the inside has the Facelift bits (basically anything where pre-facelift parts-stock had run out i suppose!!), which was more important to me.

I have the usual AA/RAC cover as wel

Me too, and the Tesla 12V-air-pump-and-gunge to fix simple punctures. But outcome if I rip the side-wall out = not-so-good ...

We take a Summer wheel/tyre when we go Skiing (regardless of vehicle ... none of them have spare wheels anymore.)

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Where can I get a steel spare wheel from?

There has been some chatter about a BMW space-saver wheel that fits and would get-you-home.

Not sure if this was the thread I am thinking of, but its 9 pages long so might be some "meat" in there!

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution

last post finishes with this which might be of interest:

"Here in UK, our AA (eqiv AAA in USA) have introduced their Multi-Fit wheel, said to fit 90% of vehicles. It's fitted at the roadside, and lent to you for a day or two while you sort out your punctured tyre. You pay a returnable deposit, and leave the wheel with any of our national chains of tyrefitters. They arrange collection by the AA."

"Here in UK, our AA (eqiv AAA in USA) have introduced their Multi-Fit wheel, said to fit 90% of vehicles. It's fitted at the roadside, and lent to you for a day or two while you sort out your punctured tyre. You pay a returnable deposit, and leave the wheel with any of our national chains of tyrefitters. They arrange collection by the AA."

The caveat about the 90% is:

"* Some cars such as permanent all-wheel drive and some sports cars are not suitable for fitting a multi-fit wheel"

I haven't yet found time to ring the AA and ask whether the AWD Tesla could benefit from this or not. Has anyone else?

The caveat about the 90% is:

"* Some cars such as permanent all-wheel drive and some sports cars are not suitable for fitting a multi-fit wheel"

I haven't yet found time to ring the AA and ask whether the AWD Tesla could benefit from this or not. Has anyone else?

So I rang the RAC as that's who I'm with (aka Aviva) and their operatives carry a universal spare which is good enough for a 3.5 ton vehicle. That plus the gunk and compressor is good enough for me.

There has been some chatter about a BMW space-saver wheel that fits and would get-you-home.

Summarising from a 2016 Owner's Group Facebook post, for a Model S:
A steel 'donut' from a BMX x5 has the same nut configuration and fits straight on. You can use an alloy 'donut' from an x5 as well but you would need a spacer disc for it to work.
Tyre size: T155/80/R18, this wheel and tyre combination has been tested by many owners in the states and the UK. It has the same circumference as a stock 19" wheel and has no effect on the electronic problem detection software other than reporting a flat.
Some drivers, especially those travelling further afield (Europe), have sourced the above plus a cover which then stays in the boot.
Personally I'm relying on the RAC to get me to a fitter/home in the event of a puncture.

Small thing but when you pick up the car they will ask you to name it, having my grandson with me it was called Blaze (a children's cartoon car), my post is so that you do not have to come up with something on the spot.

Similar tack, the Driver Profiles are displayed in the order they are created. I had the foresight to create Wifee before myself :)

On the Loaner (car in for service) I created "His" and "Hers" as I thought they might be useful to borrowers in future ...

Similar tack, the Driver Profiles are displayed in the order they are created. I had the foresight to create Wifee before myself :)

OTOH, you really don't want to create a 2nd profile until you've finished playing with the car, since creating a new profile clones the one currently selected. I foolishly created profiles for self and wife as the first thing I did, then for every adjustment I made to controls/settings I had to remember to go back and make the same change in the other profile (or else end up puzzled when I said "it works like this" and then it didn't for her...).

Been given the same collection date for my X at Manchester South however I'm not done sorting the finance yet (year end 31st August) so it may get pushed back. Car is arriving in Monday next week so will have a gander before collection in the event there's some quick fixes required.

Hope you're collection goes well.

Jacob

With regards to pre collection detailing...

Is it a proper detail or just a valet, I mean do they do any machine polishing?

Sometimes you’re lucky if it’s been valeted, especially the closer you get to the end of the quarter. It also seems to vary from SC to SC. I think I would go in with low expectations and hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

If you are fastidious on such things maybe better to plan on taking it to a detailer, rather than expecting Tesla to achieve that level?

I've said elsewhere that my car went straight to Detailer to have Wrap fitted, and they told me NOT to let the supplier (any brand, not Tesla specifically) fix the paint as they would prefer to fix any imperfection themselves, rather than re-fix someone else's work!)

As it turned out they found nothing that needed fixing ... and given all the shiny-shiny-stuff on their Forecourt (cheapest thing there was probably 10x my car ...) I doubt they were holding back :)

Lol.

I’m not anal about these things was just curious as a detail isn’t a valet and I just wonder if they call it a detail when it’s far from that.

On an other note... do Tesla’s come with a. Set of locking wheel nuts or do I have to buy them ?

o Tesla’s come with a. Set of locking wheel nuts

Mine didn't. We have them on other cars, not the Tesla. Daughter was driving one of the others recently and a wheel fell off, strong suspicion that where she stopped someone tried to knick the wheel but was interrupted ... so locking nut didn't make any difference to them and maybe, nowadays?, the garage-tools to remove any-pattern of locking nut are common place?

On an other note... do Tesla’s come with a. Set of locking wheel nuts or do I have to buy them ?

No they don’t, and as far as I know most owners don’t bother. As @WannabeOwner points out the tools to remove them are readily available to buy so IMO a waste of time. Not wishing to tempt fate but I don’t think I’ve read of a single occurrence of wheels being stolen. Not without the car still attached anyway :(