Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery/Installation: Rear Facing Child Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this e-mail update through some back channels. It is from a Tesla high level employee in Ownership Experience dated 11/20/12:
"George asked me to reach out on his behalf to provide further information about the rear facing seats.
Rear facing seats will become available in early January.
Taking into account the backlog, I would estimate delivery for customers will take place in late January early February."

It does not address who will get them 1st, new owners or 'due bill' owners.
Of those 'due bill' owners it does not address what the priority for installation nor the process for the installation (time with the car, etc.) will be.
I choose not to speculate here on that. :wink:

I received this e-mail update through some back channels. It is from a Tesla high level employee in Ownership Experience dated 11/20/12:
"George asked me to reach out on his behalf to provide further information about the rear facing seats.
Rear facing seats will become available in early January.
Taking into account the backlog, I would estimate delivery for customers will take place in late January early February."

It does not address who will get them 1st, new owners or 'due bill' owners.
Of those 'due bill' owners it does not address what the priority for installation nor the process for the installation (time with the car, etc.) will be.
I choose not to speculate here on that. :wink:

Hope your source has correct info on the "Jan/Feb" date. My 4-yo twins won't stop bugging me until they get to ride back there :biggrin:
Expecting delivery in the next few days, hopefully they will retrofit us Sigs with the rear seats on due bill as soon as they become available.

Hope your source has correct info on the "Jan/Feb" date. My 4-yo twins won't stop bugging me until they get to ride back there :biggrin:
Expecting delivery in the next few days, hopefully they will retrofit us Sigs with the rear seats on due bill as soon as they become available.

DS told me Saturday when delivering the car that "early February" was the current date they were giving out for install.

found a good temporary solution. It is rather cheap, and they seem to fit the bill quite well. You (and your spouse) must be comfortable with the weight limitations and your child's comfort, but they fit well in the bucket seats in the back, are made for narrow three-abreast-backseats, and have a bottom specifically made not to mar the material.

http://www.target.com/p/harmony-cruz-booster-seat/-/A-13981480#guest-reviews

They got a bad review, but I am sure they would if you tried to put it in a mini van or a normal SUV. Not made for that. I like them. And in February, they go to donation.

Here's another temporary solution while our jump seats arrive.
I found these at Target, Cosco No Back Booster for $12.99
Here it is pictured next to the Harmony Cruz sublimaze1 suggests above:
photo 1.JPG

And here is a pic of 3 of them in the car (they fit nicely):
photo 2.JPG

I'll keep all 3 in the car (3 boys ages 6, 4 and 4), and whenever space is needed for adults in the back row I'll store them in the frunk.

Here's another temporary solution while our jump seats arrive.
I found these at Target, Cosco No Back Booster for $12.99
Here it is pictured next to the Harmony Cruz sublimaze1 suggests above:

And here is a pic of 3 of them in the car (they fit nicely):

Have you tried to close the seat belts with all three of the seats in the back like that? It's still not easy for me to get the seat belt inserted, and I only have one booster that I think it skinnier than either of these. The one that I had that looks like these (maybe an earlier version of the Cosco) completely covered the seat belt insert such that I couldn't use it because I couldn't shut the seat belt. I posted photos in the Owners Experience sticky thread.

Maybe in subsequent models they made it thinner so that it was easier to access the seat belts, but you may want to double-check.

Have you tried to close the seat belts with all three of the seats in the back like that? It's still not easy for me to get the seat belt inserted, and I only have one booster that I think it skinnier than either of these. The one that I had that looks like these (maybe an earlier version of the Cosco) completely covered the seat belt insert such that I couldn't use it because I couldn't shut the seat belt. I posted photos in the Owners Experience sticky thread.

Maybe in subsequent models they made it thinner so that it was easier to access the seat belts, but you may want to double-check.

I did seat my 3 kids last night and buckled them in, no problem. These Cosco boosters are pretty skinny (sorry, didn't take width measurements).
I do plan to add car seat covers for each booster (the bottom is smooth plastic but don't want to take any chances and mess up the leather seats). Hopefully these won't pose an obstacle when trying to reach the belt insert. If they do, I'll update this thread.

. These Cosco boosters are pretty skinny (sorry, didn't take width measurements).
I do plan to add car seat covers for each booster (the bottom is smooth plastic but don't want to take any chances and mess up the leather seats). Hopefully these won't pose an obstacle when trying to reach the belt insert. If they do, I'll update this thread.

The harmony cruz are even skinnier, and (if you did not have bucket seats) they would be pre-disposed to tipping. Diana says they are just fine with a 39 and a 45 lb kid. As for the bottom, I agree that you would need to take some care with seat covers or with a towel ... but the Cruz has a fabric on the bottom to help with that.

Installed this morning at the Fremont Service center. They are pretty slick in how they work. You pretty much fold them into each other and then flip it into that open space in the trunk. Here are the pix.

Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.23.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.24.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.24.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.24.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.24.40 AM.png

Outstanding! I actually re-did my pre-MVPA after my 8 & 5 year old came to me and demanded that I get them. Kids today!

Hm. I wonder if this means that those of them who ordered them but haven't yet gotten our cars will have them installed.

Nice!

What do you do with the lid to the well in the trunk when the kids are sitting in the rear seats? Is there someplace to stash it in the car, or do you leave it in the garage?

Last edited: