Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Nightmare Cautionary Tale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the thing that I have said to myself all along. Hypothetically, if they gave me a Aug 6th delivery date originally, received the car on the 23rd, inspected it, found the issue, fixed it and delivered to me early on the 30th, this thread would be completely different. Basically, the same chain of events only with a different expectation set up front.

I think if their logistics system is tweaked to add a 7 day buffer to all delivery dates, a lot of this just goes away. Perfect cars get delivered early (dependent on the customer schedule) and only the worst case cars are delivered late.
I have spent enough time on this forum now to know that it's better to have low expectations for the delivery experience. With a Monday delivery, I think I might head over to Rockville this weekend to sneak a look at the car :)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I have spent enough time on this forum now to know that it's better to have low expectations for the delivery experience. With a Monday delivery, I think I might head over to Rockville this weekend to sneak a look at the car

The Monday delivery schedule was last Monday. I'm also Owings Mills, not Rockville. I think I know everything at this point, just waiting for some definitive info from the delivery team there.

This makes me thankful I picked Rockville over Owings Mills for my delivery. Hope you get your car soon.

Don't get too excited. My friend chose Rockville over Owings Mills because it was closer (it's not). He had a very different, but equally bad experience. One snippet was the Delivery Advisor sent him the contract and paperwork via email after he picked up and it was for someone else including their home address, license numbers, birthdates and basically everything needed to steal their identity.

• Funny
I am getting ready to order my 2nd Tesla (after my 1st was repurchased form Tesla). Having WAY to many service appoints on the first Model X my experience is that the Rockville SC provides much better service and especially communication that OM. I also live in Annapolis and we are about the same distance away from both. I will only use Rockville going forward. Plus Rockville has Saturday hours.

I work with someone who swears by the Rockville service center. Honestly, I don't think the problem is the Owings Mills center people. They have been super nice and try to be helpful, but their hands are tied by the corporate office. The Rockville location's main issue is that they were not originally a delivery center. They were forced into it to support Model 3. They are a service center that does deliveries and it shows. My friend was there Saturday and every person there had an issue with their delivery (he was there for 3 hours total). Also, Owings Mills is open on Saturdays although I am not sure about the service center.

Day 5. I decided to take a different approach and not contact the center yesterday either by phone or by email. I can't say I am shocked, but they did not reach out to me with a courtesy update. Yesterday was the day the car was supposed to go to the shop to get a repair estimate. Did it? How would I know?

I'm taking the same hands-off approach today. They said I would have an estimate by the end of today. If no update is received today, I will consider the hands-off approach no better than hands-on and resume pestering them tomorrow.

• Funny
I'm waiting for my registration paperwork, now at about 6 weeks from purchase date.
I emailed my SA after four weeks, and continue to send a polite update request once a week. I figure that is enough to get it done as fast as they are able and any more frequent pestering would be a waste of everybody's time, not to mention annoying.

I'm waiting for my registration paperwork, now at about 6 weeks from purchase date.
I emailed my SA after four weeks, and continue to send a polite update request once a week. I figure that is enough to get it done as fast as they are able and any more frequent pestering would be a waste of everybody's time, not to mention annoying.

Do you have a delivery date set? They set my delivery date long before working on the paperwork.

So what do you propose? Introduce a third party with no real incentive to do what's best for Tesla while adding cost to the transaction that's passed down to the consumer?

What "should" happen, IMHO, but would require a major sea change that perhaps only Tesla can drive is to go the "Amazon" route. The car is delivered to your house like any other internet ordered good. No fancy presentation, or anything like that. If you want to know more, watch how-to videos, something along those lines. Stop with the presentation aspect of it.

I'm sincerely asking and not trying to be sarcastic or difficult. There has to be a solution here...

Jeff
The one thing that would prevent your suggestion is the state DMV rules. These apply to all 50 states. Amazon could drop a package to you but a car is another whole thing entirely. When you are dealing with lenders, collecting taxes and registration fees and processing new car titles I do not see any state allowing that to happen outside of the dealership rules. Staff can certainly deliver cars to customer homes but they must be working from a central location within the state (think an airline hub and spoke system). Then you have the economy of scale issues. It will always be cheaper to have multiple customers come to you rather than making individual deliveries of vehicles. Do they do it in certain cases? Of course, but it is not the preferred method for a lot of reasons, liability being one of them.

Dealership locations are very effective for other OEMs because they can perform the three main functions all in one location. The biggest obviously is immediate new car sales followed by service and used car sales. The vast majority of our public is geared towards "immediate gratification". While some are willing to wait for a specific ordered car or truck most are not. This has always been an advantage of having acres of cars and trucks for them to choose from. Tesla, like Ferrari and a few others, is an anomaly. Will it stay this way? Doubtful.

Where most dealerships are independently owned, they still do the same functions as Tesla locations. They provide showrooms to view products, perform service functions, and have offices to process the required documents to effect ownership transfers. Tesla took an unconventional approach in many locations by placing showrooms in pricey shopping centers such as the one here in Jacksonville, FL. and converting a former paint store into a service and delivery center about 5 miles away where they are severely limited on parking and car storage. When these locations were chosen they clearly were not thinking ahead about how to deliver 53 cars per day or contain costs. I honestly believe not enough attention was given to the process flow for the distribution pipeline from day one. So now lets talk solutions.

The one thing that would prevent your suggestion is the state DMV rules. These apply to all 50 states. Amazon could drop a package to you but a car is another whole thing entirely. When you are dealing with lenders, collecting taxes and registration fees and processing new car titles I do not see any state allowing that to happen outside of the dealership rules. Staff can certainly deliver cars to customer homes but they must be working from a central location within the state (think an airline hub and spoke system). Then you have the economy of scale issues. It will always be cheaper to have multiple customers come to you rather than making individual deliveries of vehicles. Do they do it in certain cases? Of course, but it is not the preferred method for a lot of reasons, liability being one of them.

Dealership locations are very effective for other OEMs because they can perform the three main functions all in one location. The biggest obviously is immediate new car sales followed by service and used car sales. The vast majority of our public is geared towards "immediate gratification". While some are willing to wait for a specific ordered car or truck most are not. This has always been an advantage of having acres of cars and trucks for them to choose from. Tesla, like Ferrari and a few others, is an anomaly. Will it stay this way? Doubtful.

Where most dealerships are independently owned, they still do the same functions as Tesla locations. They provide showrooms to view products, perform service functions, and have offices to process the required documents to effect ownership transfers. Tesla took an unconventional approach in many locations by placing showrooms in pricey shopping centers such as the one here in Jacksonville, FL. and converting a former paint store into a service and delivery center about 5 miles away where they are severely limited on parking and car storage. When these locations were chosen they clearly were not thinking ahead about how to deliver 53 cars per day or contain costs. I honestly believe not enough attention was given to the process flow for the distribution pipeline from day one. So now lets talk solutions.

IMHO, Tesla needs someone in charge of this with a vision that isn't pushed out or run into the ground... Someone who can see it through because I agree with you completely here... Many decisions were made ad-hoc by changing management without any cohesiveness for the long term so now we have this patchwork of things put together by different people at different times all trying to deliver more cars than they physically can deliver...

Jeff

"So now let's talk solutions".

If this project was dropped on my desk, I can see some short and long term improvements.

Short term:
1) Limit the ISA's activity to helping get the proper documentation and coordinating financing, etc. They should immediately stop any disclosures of VINs or delivery dates.
2) Just as with a regular dealership any and all communication about deliveries should be done only by the DS departments at the centers. NO communication with the customer about a delivery date beyond the published 2-4 month window should be done until the car is there and inspected and ready for delivery.
3) It appears cars are being dropped off and not immediately checked for damage. That cannot happen. It causes two big issues. First it will make claims against the carriers nearly impossible. Second, cars are not getting fixed in a timely manner. This seems to be a huge issue. The forums are full of complaints of damage. Either Tesla is being forced to use bottom of the barrel carriers or cars are getting damaged after drop-off. I do not have enough information to know exactly what is going on.

Long term:
1) The process flow is not working from what I can tell. Without better information from the factory I cannot tell where the bottleneck is that is forcing the current batch builds. It might be paint. To minimize change-over maintenace they appear to be building large batches of the same colors. That means cars are having to be staged and sorted before going onto carriers or trains. Due to the volume, that is forcing the staging to be done at secondary locations such as Lathrop. That means loading and unloading twice at least.

If you visit any other factory they use a different method. They build in batches based on destinations. This means trucks are loaded once with the next destination being the dealership(s) along a route. Once on, once off. The biggest advantage is time savings and reduced chance of damage.

IMHO, Tesla needs someone in charge of this with a vision that isn't pushed out or run into the ground... Someone who can see it through because I agree with you completely here... Many decisions were made ad-hoc by changing management without any cohesiveness for the long term so now we have this patchwork of things put together by different people at different times all trying to deliver more cars than they physically can deliver...

Jeff
Sadly, they did and that was Jon McNeill. But I think he was ready to leave last summer when he could not get Musk to allow him to discount the growing S & X inventory sooner and Musk was also unwilling to throttle back production to match demand because it would have not supported the growth and demand narrative.

Once McNeill was talked into staying until 12/31 and given permission to discount he worked wonders and lowered inventory by over 6,000 units in 5 months. I have no doubt he also had a good reading on the problems ahead for Model 3 delivery but I doubt he could get anyone to listen. By then the ramp was consuming every resource. With no support to make the needed adjustments he threw in the towel and took the Lyft position.

You took delivery six weeks ago and do not have your registration paperwork? How long does Colorado give dealers for processing? When does your temp registration expire?

You took delivery six weeks ago and do not have your registration paperwork? How long does Colorado give dealers for processing? When does your temp registration expire?
The temp plate is good for two months, until 8/12.

My local recorder's office told me that if the paperwork does not arrive by the expiration date, I can request that Tesla send me a Bill of Sale and that will be enough for some temporizing measure. A little voice in my head says that if Tesla can send the Bill of Sale, they can send the paperwork ... but I'm sure it will work out, hiccoughs and all. The recorder clerk did mention that one Tesla has been registered before mine and the paperwork arrived 4 months after purchase. I found that story comforting since it meant that I was not treading new ground and the recording office knew to be patient.

Update! I got a very helpful woman to call me back today from the service department at the Owings Mills location. She answered all my questions and said the delay would be worst case 2 weeks. They started fixing the issue as of yesterday and would call me when it is done. She also was so kind to say I could call or text at any time and she'd get the updates for me. I knew there was someone who cared about the customer experience there and I think I found her!

The temp plate is good for two months, until 8/12.

My local recorder's office told me that if the paperwork does not arrive by the expiration date, I can request that Tesla send me a Bill of Sale and that will be enough for some temporizing measure. A little voice in my head says that if Tesla can send the Bill of Sale, they can send the paperwork ... but I'm sure it will work out, hiccoughs and all. The recorder clerk did mention that one Tesla has been registered before mine and the paperwork arrived 4 months after purchase. I found that story comforting since it meant that I was not treading new ground and the recording office knew to be patient.
If you financed your purchase your lender will be a good resource. They have to follow banking laws and they will need that title in their files shortly or they also will be on Tesla's case. This is the one grey area with Tesla not holding a dealer's license; how do you hold their feet to the fire? In CA, taking this long with paperwork processing could have cost me my license or certainly some really huge fines. One lender in Louisiana was being threatened with $500/day fines for not yet processing the paperwork for a transaction on a Model 3. The problem was they could not get Tesla to send them the MSO. (You cannot process a state title application without it.) Be glad you are in much more lenient Colorado.

Update! I got a very helpful woman to call me back today from the service department at the Owings Mills location. She answered all my questions and said the delay would be worst case 2 weeks. They started fixing the issue as of yesterday and would call me when it is done. She also was so kind to say I could call or text at any time and she'd get the updates for me. I knew there was someone who cared about the customer experience there and I think I found her!
I am sure there are more caring staff members than you think. Many just don't have the answers people are looking for.

I think my delivery woes have made me bitter. I used to pass Model 3's on the road and would get so excited
1f603.png
. Now I pass them and just get angry
1f92c.png
. 8 days since my scheduled delivery. No car. No firm estimate.