Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have numbers to show that the bitching and moaning we read here is typical? Selection bias, maybe?

You're talking about an $80,000 car vs a $45,000 car. You think they might be a bit more anal with QA for the former?

Does that mean they "cut corners" on the latter, rather than simply focusing a higher level of QA on the $80,000 cars?
Raise your hand if your MY cost $45k
Sorry this is a nonsensical statement
. My $60k BMW looks just fine thank you, even though they make cars that cost $125k. Tesla had issues and they only focus on raising production. Someday that will come back to haunt them.

Reactions: 5JMJ
Raise your hand if your MY cost $45k
Sorry this is a nonsensical statement
. My $60k BMW looks just fine thank you, even though they make cars that cost $125k. Tesla had issues and they only focus on raising production. Someday that will come back to haunt them.
You provided no answer to my statement that the problems here are not representative of all MYs delivered. You guys can't get that in your heads, thinking they must all be bad because you saw a bad one.

Again, my point is the malcontents all have commonalities: relative newcomers, relatively few posts, and most of those posts are negative towards Tesla. Sort of anti-fanbois.

Tesla makes unique high-tech cars that lead the category in many respects. My three complaints are their smug attitude when a customer makes reasonable requests, poor delivery experience when compared to other car brands, and proprietary nav / media options (i.e., no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support).

The Model Y is being made in a tent by clowns and don't expect more from what is arguably the best AWD SUV EV available.

Reactions: 5JMJ and teko
You provided no answer to my statement that the problems here are not representative of all MYs delivered. You guys can't get that in your heads, thinking they must all be bad because you saw a bad one

There have been a couple posts a day on the FB Model Y boards about poor fit/finish. I have had 8 Tesla deliveries and 5 needed body work. Tesla is loathe to document issues in Due Bill probably because quality could be tracked and held against someone. EM just sent an email to the employees asking them to improve quality on the Model Y. This is not typical of other car brands and a real issue. Initial car quality is notoriously bad on Teslas for a good reason.

Again, my point is the malcontents all have commonalities: relative newcomers, relatively few posts, and most of those posts are negative towards Tesla. Sort of anti-fanbois.

Well, we shall see next year, if Tesla QC is as good as Kia's $30k cars. To your point, Genesis are better than Kia/Hyundai, but all 3 are industry leaders. Tesla will be included in J.D. Power initial quality survey for the first time, kinda - Roadshow

There is not doubt forums generally lean negative. It's the nature of the beast. I wouldn't have ordered a Tesla, if I didn't want to own one. When I finally get mine, I will post my impressions of the fit and finish(good or bad), not to slam or demean Tesla, but to share my experience, so others can judge.

Reactions: navguy12
Well, we shall see next year, if Tesla QC is as good as Kia's $30k cars. To your point, Genesis are better than Kia/Hyundai, but all 3 are industry leaders. Tesla will be included in J.D. Power initial quality survey for the first time, kinda - Roadshow

There is not doubt forums generally lean negative. It's the nature of the beast. I wouldn't have ordered a Tesla, if I didn't want to own one. When I finally get mine, I will post my impressions of the fit and finish(good or bad), not to slam or demean Tesla, but to share my experience, so others can judge.
It's not that your experience (good or bad) shouldn't be shared, but rather that people who are happy are out driving their Teslas. So statistically, we have here a small sample size with many posters dissatisfied about something or another. That's the point: negative reports here are not representative. And the other point is there are, in fact, malcontents who do nothing but whine about Tesla. Every single post. Fortunately, not representative.

Reactions: navguy12
If Tesla delivery would try this in Europe on a regulair bases, sales would plummet till the problems are fixed and quality is assured.
There were some reports on the service center saga and quality issues in combination with winter driving here in Norway in the media.

Sales have kind of plummeted with 2020 sales of Model 3 standing at 1268 so far, but 5165 for the Audi E-Tron and even 3010 for the VW E-Golf.
Tesla Model S and Model X aren't even top 20 anymore. This quality situation of Tesla can seriously hurt their reputation.

I mean I see more and more of such problems in the streets and people hear about it and it's not so cool on a NOK 385k car after short time.

img_8439.JPG

NO.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Reeler

Looks like Tesla's attempts to thwart a JD Power ranking were circumvented. I always figured that the delivery attempts to avoid putting any defect in writing was gamesmanship to avoid objective evidence. They had me walk from my 7th delivery simply because I insisted on a Due Bill, email or something documenting the scratch clear through the paint. Call me stupid, but there was no way I was going to trust them to make it right.

June 24th is going to be interesting. The hater vs fanboi debate here will have some objective evidence. Never owned or shorted Tesla stock, but those of you spouting off here in support of your investment strategy may want to change your positions.

Looks like Tesla's attempts to thwart a JD Power ranking were circumvented. I always figured that the delivery attempts to avoid putting any defect in writing was gamesmanship to avoid objective evidence. They had me walk from my 7th delivery simply because I insisted on a Due Bill, email or something documenting the scratch clear through the paint. Call me stupid, but there was no way I was going to trust them to make it right.

June 24th is going to be interesting. The hater vs fanboi debate here will have some objective evidence. Never owned or shorted Tesla stock, but those of you spouting off here in support of your investment strategy may want to change your positions.
Sooner or later, investors who got no knowledge of Tesla way of doing business will come to find out of their true value.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberShy

This will be interesting. Its also not a good look to not grant permission like ever other car manufacturer does. It looks like they are trying to hide something.

I figure the bumper can be replaced or resprayed to fix three of the issues, the scratches in the door jams just need touch up so they don’t rust and the door edges can be touched up too. If it were on an exterior metal panel, that is where I would draw the line.

I think the alignment issues are fixable.

The car was made this month after the factory re-opened.
The bolts that are missing paint look like the service center tried to realign the door. There's no reason for the paint to be torn from the bolt heads otherwise. That's pretty bad though. Now, I'm suddenly nervous about my delivery on the 27th (unless they get it early enough to pick it up on the 20th)

• Informative
Reactions: CyberShy
On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777

Some of those are artifacts from offline mechanical repairs and are COMPLETELY unacceptable. There is no way they did not know they damaged the paint with a hamfisted adjustment and shoved the car out anyway, making it a delivery problem. The delivery team did not seem to care much either. I did new car prep in college. This is bad by 1980's standards - which were quite low.

Lest anyone feel I'm a hater, I have a large portion of my retirement in Tesla and have had a YP Red/White on order since Sept. The first one arrived three weeks ago and was so bad it was rejected. I'm still waiting.

I walked the lot at their nearby office (Carlsbad) over the weekend. They had a fresh off the truck YP and it was a mess. They are acting like a tech company - which they are - but they can't keep behaving this way.