Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...579x

He said he would document it in their system later. I have heard that one on prior deliveries with nothing actually happening. He said that I had 3 days to note paint issues so I made a service appointment listing the above defects. It only allows upload of 5 photos so couldn’t document all of the issues. It goes to the body shop on Wednesday.
My VIN is also 579x and same color/config. I read this thread a few days before my pick up (East Coast, so the delivery took a few more days, I guess), so I was very anxious, because of probably the same day production with the same batch paint and assembly. It turned out that mine was pretty good, no major issues. So the quality issues seems very random.

Reactions: 5JMJ and rxlawdude
has anyone out there have no or very little issues?
I'd say that is the number one reason why we lose members/posts - they are posting like crazy up until they take delivery, and then they disappear, with what I assume are ear to ear grins... I am hoping to join that crowd this time next weekend. The lack of posts just this past week should be an indicator of the number of deliveries happening now and since it has getting so quiet, have to assume no issues...

Reactions: navguy12
I'd say that is the number one reason why we lose members/posts - they are posting like crazy up until they take delivery, and then they disappear, with what I assume are ear to ear grins... I am hoping to join that crowd this time next weekend. The lack of posts just this past week should be an indicator of the number of deliveries happening now and since it has getting so quiet, have to assume no issues...
I will be picking up my MY/white with Black/LRAWD/19” wheels/non perf/noFSD today in San Diego @ the Carlsbad Delivery Center
Vin#94XX. Ironically I have owned a Auto Resale business for over 25 years and this is my 2nd Tesla (1st was MS that I bought wholesale and really loved the car) and first new vehicle in a while. I will say that if I had tried to sell a vehicle with as many issues as I have seen here I would have been out of business years ago. I will be going over the MY very carefully and hope that I will not have to reject it. I do believe in Tesla vehicles , though I ambivalent about their ordering and delivery process with both their new and used cars. Anyone have any experience with the Carlsbad location here in San Diego? Any other tips or comments are welcome

I will be picking up my MY/white with Black/LRAWD/19” wheels/non perf/noFSD today in San Diego @ the Carlsbad Delivery Center
Vin#94XX. Ironically I have owned a Auto Resale business for over 25 years and this is my 2nd Tesla (1st was MS that I bought wholesale and really loved the car) and first new vehicle in a while. I will say that if I had tried to sell a vehicle with as many issues as I have seen here I would have been out of business years ago. I will be going over the MY very carefully and hope that I will not have to reject it. I do believe in Tesla vehicles , though I ambivalent about their ordering and delivery process with both their new and used cars. Anyone have any experience with the Carlsbad location here in San Diego? Any other tips or comments are welcome
Don't let them do any touch up if your not rejecting delivery. They screwed up my Model Y because of their touch up I didn't ask for. Mines going to Amato's Auto Body tomorrow through the Tesla Miramar location. I feel more confident it will come out like factory new after all the paint fixes. I have used Amato's in the past.

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

Example touch up from Carlsbad location
https://i.imgur.com/xGLB6c9.jpg

Took delivery on 6-10-20
Lots of problems:
1. Panel gaps, alignment issues
2. Door seal defective, top glass seal defective
3. Can hear street noise, e.g. loud cars, at low speed. Can hear a lot of wind noise at driver seat from top glass and left window on highways, i.e. traveling at 50 mph or above. Car possibly has poor seal around windshield, driver's door, or top glass roof. Also experience rattle noise in the back row at low and high speed. It feels like the car is poorly assembled.
4. Car does not seem to want to drive in a straight path. Have to turn steering wheel 5-10 degrees clockwise for the car to go straight. Still steering wheel wants to turn counterclockwise every few seconds when driving. Clockwise turning force has to be applied on the steering wheel constantly to correct the auto counterclockwise rotation for the car to travel in a straight path. Possibly due to misaligned steering wheel, tires or suspension?

Drove the car to service center on Friday 6-12-20. Won't be done until 6-15-20. But an email was just sent to me saying one of the parts has to be ordered. So now who knows how long service will take. This is absurd for a $50k plus car. Asked them about extending return policy. They said no. I have only had the chance to test the car out for 1 day out of the 7 days. It is ridiculous they won't extend return policy considering most of the 7 days the car is in service. What would you guys do in this case? Return it right away or just test it out again to see if problems are fixed after service? Do problems 3 and 4 seem like major defects?

VIN: 100**

Attachments

• 4. Malalignment 2nd row right door.jpg
    4. Malalignment 2nd row right door.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 6. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    6. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 94
  • 7. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    7. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 10. Rear right plastic not flush, mudflap not sealed.jpg
    10. Rear right plastic not flush, mudflap not sealed.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 11. Rear right mudflap not finished and aligned.jpg
    11. Rear right mudflap not finished and aligned.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 12. All 4 wheels black interior covers have screws not covered.jpg
    12. All 4 wheels black interior covers have screws not covered.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 97
  • 16. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    16. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 17. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    17. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 18. Front left door bottom seal detached.jpg
    18. Front left door bottom seal detached.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 90
  • 24. Steering wheel has to be rotated 5-10 degrees clockwise to travel in straight path.jpg
    24. Steering wheel has to be rotated 5-10 degrees clockwise to travel in straight path.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 97
Don't let them do any touch up if your not rejecting delivery. They screwed up my Model Y because of their touch up I didn't ask for. Mines going to Amato's Auto Body tomorrow through the Tesla Miramar location. I feel more confident it will come out like factory new after all the paint fixes. I have used Amato's in the past.

How did you get them to agree to third party repair. I told them that I would take the car with a respray and they said that could only be done by returning the car to the factory.

How did you get them to agree to third party repair. I told them that I would take the car with a respray and they said that could only be done by returning the car to the factory.

Good communication starting out from delivery advisor to delivery operations manager. It actually took many steps leading up to it and I will share after my car is fully repaired. It is finally going to Tesla SC on Monday since my delivery on May 22nd. The body shop that I wanted to be was actually the SC's to go body shop for all their outsource repairs.

The person you spoke to probably doesn't have a clue about respray. If the request for body shop repairs instead of touch up, they would probably have answered differently, but again it's up the SC to determine that with the delivery operations manager's blessing. You have to work with both the delivery team and the service team. I only made it very easy for them (I do a lot of project management for my trade), therefore they were more than willing to help and make sure I was completely satisfied.

Reactions: navguy12
I would tell them if repairs can't be completed to your satisfaction before the return deadline you will be returning the car for a full refund.
After the deadline you have lost all leverage and are at the mercy of Tesla.

Yes, the 7-day window leverage to accomplish it which I narrowly did. Paint issues it's up to you if you want it touched up or sent out to the auto body. I had preferred it sent to a real auto body shop since they should know what they are doing. You will need to get it all in writing and the delivery operations manager to approve it on the due bill or added to the Tesla service portal for repairs. Example @Reeler didn't have a helping operating delivery manager, therefore YMMV.

BalletJH, those issues are not absurd for a 50k dollar car; those issues are absurd for ANY new car sold in the US. A 14K dollar Chevy Spark would put your MY to shame with better fit and finish because no other car manufacturer lets cars with these types of fit/finish issues hit the showroom floor.

If your MY is crab walking down the road, return it and wait for the next delivery.

Took delivery on 6-10-20
Lots of problems:
1. Panel gaps, alignment issues
2. Door seal defective, top glass seal defective
3. Can hear street noise, e.g. loud cars, at low speed. Can hear a lot of wind noise at driver seat from top glass and left window on highways, i.e. traveling at 50 mph or above. Car possibly has poor seal around windshield, driver's door, or top glass roof. Also experience rattle noise in the back row at low and high speed. It feels like the car is poorly assembled.
4. Car does not seem to want to drive in a straight path. Have to turn steering wheel 5-10 degrees clockwise for the car to go straight. Still steering wheel wants to turn counterclockwise every few seconds when driving. Clockwise turning force has to be applied on the steering wheel constantly to correct the auto counterclockwise rotation for the car to travel in a straight path. Possibly due to misaligned steering wheel, tires or suspension?

Drove the car to service center on Friday 6-12-20. Won't be done until 6-15-20. But an email was just sent to me saying one of the parts has to be ordered. So now who knows how long service will take. This is absurd for a $50k plus car. Asked them about extending return policy. They said no. I have only had the chance to test the car out for 1 day out of the 7 days. It is ridiculous they won't extend return policy considering most of the 7 days the car is in service. What would you guys do in this case? Return it right away or just test it out again to see if problems are fixed after service? Do problems 3 and 4 seem like major defects?

VIN: 100**
Sorry to hear about all your issues. I actually went to pickup our MY white/black AWD non Performance here in San Diego yesterday
I had a lot of the same issues you had, but our delivery center here (Carlsbad) was much more helpful. After throughly inspecting the car, we had a Delivery person go over the car with us. In the end he actually suggested that we not accept the car and wait for another one, which we did. We left the center without a car but felt much better hoping we will get a better car soon. (Was told we should get another car by the end by the end of June) it sounds like you have a lot if issues with your car, if you can’t negotiate to get another car and you feel like Tesla will not fulfill its promise to make your car right, it might be better to return the car. $60k+ is a lot to pay for a car with headaches...Hope it works out fir the best

holy moly - it looks like they used some old school Liquid Paper to touch up that paint. I wonder if it was touch up from the old MX white paint?

upload_2020-6-14_11-28-23.jpeg

Sorry to hear about all your issues. I actually went to pickup our MY white/black AWD non Performance here in San Diego yesterday
I had a lot of the same issues you had, but our delivery center here (Carlsbad) was much more helpful. After throughly inspecting the car, we had a Delivery person go over the car with us. In the end he actually suggested that we not accept the car and wait for another one, which we did. We left the center without a car but felt much better hoping we will get a better car soon. (Was told we should get another car by the end by the end of June) it sounds like you have a lot if issues with your car, if you can’t negotiate to get another car and you feel like Tesla will not fulfill its promise to make your car right, it might be better to return the car. $60k+ is a lot to pay for a car with headaches...Hope it works out fir the best
Any major paint issues? Mines you will only see it if you are on a mission to look for them.