Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone out there purchased a demo vehicle from Tesla? Can you share the experience? When you received the car, was it indistinguishable from new? I’m about to pull the trigger on a LR+ with around 1k miles and want to know that for 90 grand I’m getting a new car. Thanks!!

Has anyone out there purchased a demo vehicle from Tesla? Can you share the experience? When you received the car, was it indistinguishable from new? I’m about to pull the trigger on a LR+ with around 1k miles and want to know that for 90 grand I’m getting a new car. Thanks!!

I did, in December. 2017 90D with 1200 miles. Never previously titled, so it was "new". Full 40 year 50k warranty and 8 year unlimited on battery/drive units. Every aspect was as new. Smelled new, only signs of anything visible was few very light scuffs on door sills. Exterior was about 9.8 out of 10. 1/2" light scratch on front fender that Ive yet to even try to paint correct out. (Thats how little it bothers me). All wheels like new/zero curb rash. Had a few small items that needed to be covered via warranty (rattles from front end that ended up being suspension bolts not fully torqued down properly) and a week ago, had a leaking rear air shock. Replaced under warranty.

if $90k is the selling price for a non performance, that does sound a bit high. Have you priced a brand new LR on Tesla's website to compare?

I purchased a 2018 p100d last May for 83,500. The car was a demo and had 600 miles on it and since it had never been titled, I was eligible for the 3750 tax credit.

The car looked and smelled brand new. No curb rash, scratches or scuffs. I was a little scared since I had read so many horror stories but this was a good deal so I was already prepared to accept significant imperfections ( ie damage that might require a respray, dings curb rash etc).

Msrp on the car was 120k. I can’t remember if the performance models were repriced or not but regardless I thought it was a great deal.

Reactions: Litigate28
I purchased a 2018 p100d last May for 83,500. The car was a demo and had 600 miles on it and since it had never been titled, I was eligible for the 3750 tax credit.

The car looked and smelled brand new. No curb rash, scratches or scuffs. I was a little scared since I had read so many horror stories but this was a good deal so I was already prepared to accept significant imperfections ( ie damage that might require a respray, dings curb rash etc).

Msrp on the car was 120k. I can’t remember if the performance models were repriced or not but regardless I thought it was a great deal.
Well done! Looks like a steal! Nearly $40k off. I’m looking at only $6k off with nearly double the miles, but it is a LR+ - so the latest tech..

think it’s time to pull the trigger...

Just pulled the trigger. MCR, Black Interior, FSD, LR+, Sonic Carbon wheels. Now the tough part - waiting for delivery and writing a really big check.
Congrats!! I purchased a demo around 3-4 months ago. Car had ~1400 miles on it. I was a bit nervous buying sight unseen. They sent me a ton of pictures. I flew to Texas, had a seamless pickup experience and drove home to Arizona. I have had a couple of warranty issue, but I do not feel in anyway related to car being a demo. If the savings is there, go for it!

Reactions: E Dizzle
Congrats!! I purchased a demo around 3-4 months ago. Car had ~1400 miles on it. I was a bit nervous buying sight unseen. They sent me a ton of pictures. I flew to Texas, had a seamless pickup experience and drove home to Arizona. I have had a couple of warranty issue, but I do not feel in anyway related to car being a demo. If the savings is there, go for it!
Not a huge discount - $6100. I'm considering to be an almost free FSD. I was going to try to pick it up in Los Angeles (from San Diego), but it turns out that they are going to send it to Carlsbad (San Diego county). Looking forward to it - as is my son who gets the P85+ as a college graduation gift (starts at SpaceX in June).

Not a huge discount - $6100. I'm considering to be an almost free FSD. I was going to try to pick it up in Los Angeles (from San Diego), but it turns out that they are going to send it to Carlsbad (San Diego county). Looking forward to it - as is my son who gets the P85+ as a college graduation gift (starts at SpaceX in June).
Congratulations to your son! And to you on your new ride.

Picked it up yesterday. All in all pleased. The touch less delivery leaves something to be desired. Got it home then started to notice the small things. January 2020 build - must have just missed the wireless charger. But shouldn’t I have a wired charger with it? Also, with the new charger, does it only come with the 110 adapter - and not a 220? Next to get the paint corrected. I have several spots that look like the remnants of popped bubbles. Two are on the hood so hopefully they won’t affect PPF. I will miss my sunroof though...

Picked it up yesterday. All in all pleased. The touch less delivery leaves something to be desired. Got it home then started to notice the small things. January 2020 build - must have just missed the wireless charger. But shouldn’t I have a wired charger with it? Also, with the new charger, does it only come with the 110 adapter - and not a 220? Next to get the paint corrected. I have several spots that look like the remnants of popped bubbles. Two are on the hood so hopefully they won’t affect PPF. I will miss my sunroof though...

the wired Iphone charger was an additional option, not standard in my 2017 90D. (not sure if it was included as standard on newer models)
The newer S's only come with the 110. The 240 14-50 adapter is $35 option at the SC or via the Tesla website.

Actually, what he stated:

"January 2020 build - must have just missed the wireless charger. But shouldn’t I have a wired charger with it?"
You’re both right. Haven’t the recent S/X come with the short lightening cable and rails for iPhone chargers? Or is that too now an optional purchase? Not having the wireless charger, I would have expected the wired charger.