Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mentioned some of the paint issues - have now fount about a dozen of the popped paint bubbles as well as this paint run. Are these something that Tesla can/would fix? This is the driver mirror housing.
B93F3B4F-7F08-4836-8FC0-52EB1A1D57BD.jpeg

Service came back saying I needed a due bill. The new touch less delivery doesn’t offer an inspection opportunity to generate a due bill. Service is canceling the appointment since I don’t have a due bill. Delivery center has asked me to email pictures. Really tough getting pictures of these defects. Here’s one:
030343D1-B35D-4FB8-A250-0E5FF62854CC.jpeg

For what It’s worth, here’s one I doubt anyone will match!

I purchased an inventory 2017 P100d for $150k down from 210k (Canadian dollars). 60k off which is abt 45k usd at the time.

I leased it and the 60k was treated as a capital cost reduction or down payment! Imagine my surprise when looking at the spread now between the paid price of 150k and the same residual value based off of 210k? Something like 150k purchase with a 102k residual. Net 48k to pay over a 48 month lease! Plus taxes and interest of course but was an incredible deal. Also at the time our province was giving 8.5k EV subsidy so that came back as well.

Why don’t I still have it? Not good with roller coasters and the power was too addictive for me lol. Caused issues with chiropractic and neck problems so opted for a less powerful model. In retrospect chill mode would have been just fine until I pushed the numbers...

11 months later...go to trade it in for a 2018 100D (less power jolt) and lo and behold the trade in value was still 167k! And my lease outstanding was 138k by then after 11 payments. So Tesla actually cuts me back a chq for 29k to drive it in and drive out my inventory 2018 100D, which was around 21k off as well. I put down 9k towards it and pocketed 20k off the trade in, and drove out. Oh and another 8.5k EV credit so essentially made my deposit back.

All in all ended up making money on the P100D deal lol. Tesla no longer allows a reduction to be utilized as a cap cost reduction lol. They simply sell you the car at the newly discounted price and base residual on the new paid value. Odd as just because it’s discounted up front doesn’t mean the value of the car is any less than the same exact new car after a number of years. They caught in to what was what happening lol.

Top that one :)

Reactions: KCapital
I purchased my 2019 MS 100D LR as a new demo/service vehicle and obtained an $11,000 discount just before the raven release. The car was listed with 50 miles, but had 16 miles when it arrived at the SC here in Austin from Dallas. I would say it was a new car without a doubt, but I am sure experiences may vary...

I purchased an inventory 2017 P100d for $150k down from 210k (Canadian dollars). 60k off which is abt 45k usd at the time.

I leased it and the 60k was treated as a capital cost reduction or down payment! Imagine my surprise when looking at the spread now between the paid price of 150k and the same residual value based off of 210k? Something like 150k purchase with a 102k residual. Net 48k to pay over a 48 month lease! Plus taxes and interest of course but was an incredible deal. Also at the time our province was giving 8.5k EV subsidy so that came back as well.

Why don’t I still have it? Not good with roller coasters and the power was too addictive for me lol. Caused issues with chiropractic and neck problems so opted for a less powerful model. In retrospect chill mode would have been just fine until I pushed the numbers...

11 months later...go to trade it in for a 2018 100D (less power jolt) and lo and behold the trade in value was still 167k! And my lease outstanding was 138k by then after 11 payments. So Tesla actually cuts me back a chq for 29k to drive it in and drive out my inventory 2018 100D, which was around 21k off as well. I put down 9k towards it and pocketed 20k off the trade in, and drove out. Oh and another 8.5k EV credit so essentially made my deposit back.

All in all ended up making money on the P100D deal lol. Tesla no longer allows a reduction to be utilized as a cap cost reduction lol. They simply sell you the car at the newly discounted price and base residual on the new paid value. Odd as just because it’s discounted up front doesn’t mean the value of the car is any less than the same exact new car after a number of years. They caught in to what was what happening lol.

Pretty hard to do... lucky you! Now I do have a story that matches that one, but it is about a Guitar and not a car.

Reactions: Destiny1701

I remember Leasehacker publishing an article about exactly this. I almost pulled the trigger on a perfectly optioned demo 2017 75S lease rather than waiting for my 3, but I decided I much preferred driving the 3. No regrets.

nice
I recall reading a story about lots of that happening before loopholes were closed. But in the story, it was something like people getting in line/reservations to buy a popular model very early. Buy it, get the tax credit money, quickly sell for full retail as the cars were in such high demand. Rinse and repeat

Not sure how state sales taxes factored into that profit though

nice
I recall reading a story about lots of that happening before loopholes were closed. But in the story, it was something like people getting in line/reservations to buy a popular model very early. Buy it, get the tax credit money, quickly sell for full retail as the cars were in such high demand. Rinse and repeat

Not sure how state sales taxes factored into that profit though

For our province, one had to keep the car abt 12 months to avoid having the EV credit clawed back. The only way this made any profit viable was the massive up front discount, which essentially covered 2 yrs depreciation. So even at the 1 year mark, it was a no brainer. Taxes wise you’d only pay on the payments paid for those 12 months and then trade in. Was a perfect alignment of the stars lol. Will never happen again.

Demo Performance acquired recently. Only issues I noticed are the DRLs were fading and the rear cupholder was stuck. Don't mind at all for the discount. Fixes already underway - Bellevue SC has been great so far.
How was the discount/miles? My issue was paint flaws, a nail in a tire that wasn’t caught, and damage to the rear bumper caused by a poorly aligned trunk. The items were/are being fixed. New rear bumper on order. 1150 miles and a $6200 discount. S LR+.

Late 2019 Raven. $27K/1900mi

A "previously repaired" one from the tesla website? From my length research, Those are the ones that tend to get very large markdowns aka "price adjustments". And in some cases, it's been a very minor repair (i.e. replace front bumper cover and one headlight due to small accident) that occurred as a demo/before it was titled. And in those cases, the reparis never appear on a carfax.

A "previously repaired" one from the tesla website? From my length research, Those are the ones that tend to get very large markdowns aka "price adjustments". And in some cases, it's been a very minor repair (i.e. replace front bumper cover and one headlight due to small accident) that occurred as a demo/before it was titled. And in those cases, the reparis never appear on a carfax.
Not previously repaired. IMO reason for the discount - it’s from last year.

Reactions: 2101Guy
hi EvStark, Congrats for the purchase!
how did you find the demo cars? I searched Tesla inventories but no such deals are there, should I search new or used?
Best way is to go to your local SC and make friends with one of the sales people. They have access to vehicles that aren’t even listed on the website yet. I was connected with a GREAT sales experience manager in the dc/Baltimore area. She Located a great demo for me December 2019. 2017 with less than 1500 miles at the time. Was literally in new condition for MANY thousands less than the sticker price (sticker was in glovebox)

Last edited: