Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo vehicle pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are in California and intend to apply for the $2500 rebate - stay away from demo cars. Tesla could describe it as "New" or "New - Previous service/demo vehicle" (Pro-Forma) randomly. California won't honor the rebate if the car is Pro-Forma.

Tesla always builds cars for international deliveries at the start of each quarter. US deliveries will resume after they catch up with their international demand, likely around mid to end of November production runs with deliveries starting in early December.

Long story - but I must have delivery by 12/20 or so or I will have to cancel and reorder again! That means April 2020. To avoid that, do you think it's possible to do a second order of a Model 3 in a different color to increase possibility of getting a car? I currently have a red LR AWD Black interior, 18" on order - and I could do another of White (the rest being the same).

I'd just take first delivery and cancel second when I take first. I don't like putting $2500 upfront to help this, but I can think of no other way.

Or will Tesla see I have two orders and just put me on slow train delivery? I am in the SF Bay area.

Hi folks, first-time buyer and Tesla noob here.

So I'm looking at a "new" Model 3. I was informed that it already has 700-800 miles on it, probably a demo car. I was also told one of the wheels is slightly curbed. Tesla is offering a price adjustment of $180. That seems a little low to me. What do you guys think?

Here's the wheel. Not too bad, I guess.

View attachment 465875
Nope I'd tell them to keep it. $180 off is a bare faced insult, Audi, Lexus, BMW wouldn't treat you that way on a vehicle that'll cost you at least $44k and up out the door? Tesla have a niche they dominate for now if the other guys ever seriously try to play catch up Tesla will need to significantly up their game when it comes to customer service or suffer. They have a superior product but customer service goes a very, very long way. Honestly I doubt the other guys will ever catch up or try to I mean Blackberry didn't until it was way too late.

I too eyeballed a demo car hoping they'd reduce it a bit and this was near end of last quarter. I'd have taken it on the spot if they offered a decent deal. They offered something like $600 or $700 off a car with just over 1,000 miles on it. That's a lot of people through that car for a minuscule amount off. They refused to discount the paint or wheels or even swap the wheels. I walked you should too, when Tesla learns how to ensure all their sales people are on the same page, how to make a deal to move additional inventory they won't be sat wondering why they are shot of their sales target.

Long story - but I must have delivery by 12/20 or so or I will have to cancel and reorder again! That means April 2020. To avoid that, do you think it's possible to do a second order of a Model 3 in a different color to increase possibility of getting a car? I currently have a red LR AWD Black interior, 18" on order - and I could do another of White (the rest being the same).

I'd just take first delivery and cancel second when I take first. I don't like putting $2500 upfront to help this, but I can think of no other way.

Or will Tesla see I have two orders and just put me on slow train delivery? I am in the SF Bay area.

I would not recommend duplicating orders. If red is your first choice just place the order for the red one. Try to find a competent sales rep who can keep an eye on your order and let them know you have some flexibility in color choice if one comes in sooner in a different color.

If you like the white one, personally I’d just go with that one since there is no up charge. When I ordered my black Model 3 the pearl white was an extra $2,500. To get it included in the base price is a great deal. There’s always the possibility they will find one in a different color and offer it to you at no extra charge too.

there are less than 100 cars for sale in the entire country right now..they are in no rush to bend over backwards for people. When the market is finally saturated and there is some competition..maybe they will start to offer better deals

I would not recommend duplicating orders. If red is your first choice just place the order for the red one. Try to find a competent sales rep who can keep an eye on your order and let them know you have some flexibility in color choice if one comes in sooner in a different color.

If you like the white one, personally I’d just go with that one since there is no up charge. When I ordered my black Model 3 the pearl white was an extra $2,500. To get it included in the base price is a great deal. There’s always the possibility they will find one in a different color and offer it to you at no extra charge too.

I'd prefer the red. But I'd also prefer to get the car by December and not have to wait again until April. How does Tesla know I'm not ordering a second car?

I'd prefer the red. But I'd also prefer to get the car by December and not have to wait again until April. How does Tesla know I'm not ordering a second car?

They don’t know. There is nothing preventing you from placing a second order. I’ve had more luck working with a good advisor to keep track of inventory but if you feel better placing two orders give it a try. It can’t hurt. You’ll just have to chase Tesla a bit to get them to issue you a refund to your credit card. It doesn’t always happen smoothly.

It's actually worth the extra $2500 to me if I can get a Model 3 before Dec. 20th. I don't want to have to cancel and reorder and wait until April 2020.

You see, many of us have constraints on when we can buy, pay, or receive these cars. Tesla doesn't apparently get that this is likely a factor in new orders. One sales rep told me that when he said 8-12 weeks to customers, they were walking out of the storefront repeatedly.

Tesla has to give accurate estimates consistently. It's only fair if we go on the cutting edge buying their cars.

It's actually worth the extra $2500 to me if I can get a Model 3 before Dec. 20th. I don't want to have to cancel and reorder and wait until April 2020.

You see, many of us have constraints on when we can buy, pay, or receive these cars. Tesla doesn't apparently get that this is likely a factor in new orders. One sales rep told me that when he said 8-12 weeks to customers, they were walking out of the storefront repeatedly.

Tesla has to give accurate estimates consistently. It's only fair if we go on the cutting edge buying their cars.

Tesla just isn’t there yet. They will likely produce around 360,000 cars this year. Just a few years ago they were producing well under 100,000 cars per year. This is peanuts compared to any other car manufacturer. Tesla is a boutique car company. They are trying to spread their 360,000 cars around the entire world rather than concentrating them in any one geographic area. Considering how much demand there is for a Model 3 around the globe that’s not a lot of cars to go around.

You seem really frustrated with Tesla and you haven’t even picked up your car yet. You will likely have more challenges during the delivery process. And it’s possible you will have some service issues and have to deal with a service organization that is not up to par yet. If you are already this frustrated with the company before you’ve even picked up your car this may not be the right car for you. It’s a very different car, and a very different car company. Those who are not patient and forgiving of a company that’s highly dysfunctional in how it operates tend to not do well with these cars.

I don’t want to scare you off, but I’ve seen similar posts over the years from others and you just may not be a good fit for Tesla. I hope I’m wrong.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
If you wait long enough Tesla will stop selling cars as their end game is Tesla is only interested in manufacturing Model 3 standard plus taxies and self drive taxies. As Musk has said those that have Tesla's will be able to rent their Tesla's to Tesla taxi company. Musk is not interest in model 3 long range or performance for his taxi fleet as standard plus has the better life expectancy. Google if you need to check this out.

Tesla just isn’t there yet. They will likely produce around 360,000 cars this year. Just a few years ago they were producing well under 100,000 cars per year. This is peanuts compared to any other car manufacturer. Tesla is a boutique car company. They are trying to spread their 360,000 cars around the entire world rather than concentrating them in any one geographic area. Considering how much demand there is for a Model 3 around the globe that’s not a lot of cars to go around.

You seem really frustrated with Tesla and you haven’t even picked up your car yet. You will likely have more challenges during the delivery process. And it’s possible you will have some service issues and have to deal with a service organization that is not up to par yet. If you are already this frustrated with the company before you’ve even picked up your car this may not be the right car for you. It’s a very different car, and a very different car company. Those who are not patient and forgiving of a company that’s highly dysfunctional in how it operates tend to not do well with these cars.

I don’t want to scare you off, but I’ve seen similar posts over the years from others and you just may not be a good fit for Tesla. I hope I’m wrong.

No, it's like I have replied before. I have an internal deadline where I cannot possibly take delivery much after Dec 20. It will force me to reorder and likely (as things have been going) get a car sometime in April. October to April can be frustrating - and that is particular to my situation.

What I do see is a lot of people who are being squeezed over loans or trade-ins. I'm fortunate in that I have nothing like that to deal with. But people that are dealing with those problems have little recourse. Tesla could at least have told them 8 weeks so that they could have timed their loans accordingly. Tesla could have said 8-10 weeks for them to time their trade accordingly.

So Tesla's being a flake. I can be a flake too! But I take into consideration the needs of other people. How hard is it for Tesla to change the time frames listed all over their website? Sorry, but I don't like seeing hard working people get misled when it is not hard to fix what misleads them.

As for living with a Tesla - I know all about the downsides. I don't need a car as I have no commute. I just want a car - specifically a Tesla. I've had a few Porsche 911's over the years. Not low maintenance, and Porsche dealers are very difficult too - just in a different way. You know what you are getting into before you get into it. Things are that simple.

Demo cars can be a great deal but it is hit or miss. I got my MS with an $11,000 demo discount and 13 miles on the car.

Damn where are such deals when I'm wanting to buy a Tesla be it 3 or S or X.
Curious to know on how you got the 11K off on a Model S.
Is it something the SA reduced the price or the system set a 11K off on the original pricing?
Was it the last of Model S left on the floor before the went to Raven build?
is the discount includes such as (paint add ons, wheel add ons, interior add ons so on and so forth from the base config) or is it a straight up 11K off from the MSRP

Telsa does this every quarter.
Their goal is to deliver as many cars in the quarter as possible, they don't care about deliveries in Oct just deliveries in Q4.
Best way to maximize that is to spend Oct making cars for overseas markets, that way they can get them on a boat in Oct and still deliver them by the end of the year.
With US locations only a week long truck ride away there is no urgency now to make any cars for the US market. I assume some are being made just to meet old orders that did not finish up in Q3.

They can make a car early December and still easily have it delivered before end of year.
There will be an influx of inventory cars available come mid-December at all locations and another push to sell them all off by 12/31

That end of quarter time, I am sure you will be able to negotiate for any demo cars as well, right now they have no incentive to sell the demo car. If they do they might not get a demo replacement for a few weeks which the store location does not want. If someone wants to pay basically full price they will sell it, otherwise they are not in a rush to sell that car for another 60 days.
A demo should get all of the benefits of buying new, provided the car has never been titled.

Last edited: