Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deposit in for 100D...need to decide on colors/options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of going with these choices/options. Still have 6 days to confirm. I have researched and read every post I could find that would help me to come to all of these decisions. Multiple test drives, garage fit, and conversations with many Tesla store employees. Our time has come to order with the release of the 100D.

I am open to any last minute opinions, etc. Let me know if I missed any important topics below the option list too. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Midnight Silver Metallic
22in Black Onyx Wheels
6 seat White Interior
Carbon Fiber
Enhanced Autopilot
Full Self Driving (debating if I should pay for this now with no ETA)
Premium Upgrades Package
Subzero
UHFS
Towing

plan to use referral code (trying to get a old high school buddy to send me his via Facebook)
financing via Alliant Credit Union (will apply within 30 days of delivery I think?)
printed out Model X delivery checklist
electrician friend will help install subpanel, 2 50amp circuits, and 2 Nema 14-50 outlets for the X and future second Tesla

Reactions: Mjølner and ModelX
I have two points. I know the 22 inch wheels look great, but did they tell you that it will reduce your range (guess that doesn't matter much with the 100D). Also, while they handle better, the ride won't be as smooth as with the 20 inch, and your towing capacity will be reduced to 3,500 lbs from 5,000 with the 20's.

The cars are able to take a 48-amp charge standard, which you can't get with the NEMA 14-50 (max 40-amps). Did you consider getting the Tesla wall charger? I wanted to keep the charging cable that comes with the car in the car, in case of emergencies. And I didn't want to be taking the cable out of car to charge at home then return it to the car. So I was going to buy an extra connector bundle to keep connected to the NEMA 14-50 at home. Then I realized that the bundle costs the same as the Tesla wall charger with a 24 ft. cable and the wall charger can charge at 48-amps with a 60 amp circuit. The wall charger is very flexible. You can set it for multiple amperages, including 48-amps if you can connect a 60-amp breaker, or 40-amps if you can only do a 50-amp breaker.

The difference in amperage charge is 25 miles per hour for the 40-amp and 30 miles per hour for the 48-amp. Another way to look at it is that to charge from 20% to 80%, it will take 7 hours with the 40-amp and 5:45 with the 48-amp. This is assuming 60% of the 295 mile range, or 175 miles.

I love the proposed build of your X, especially with the 22s. The mods deleted my previous post commending your taste, because I included my referral code as a back up to your buddy. I guess that's a no-no, but wanted to tell you your build will be beautiful so I posted again. Confirmation countdown is on!!!

If your friends link doesn't work out you can find a link from a ton of web pages, profile signatures or youtube videos in the video description.

Something worth thinking of if you do install the wall charger as Jrogville was talking about above... If you think you may ever add the 72 amp charging upgrade later then wire your HPWC to support that amperage when you first install it. It'll cost more up front for the larger copper wire but it'll be cheaper then upgrading a circuit later :) I had my installed on a 100amp line just for future proofing if I found I ever needed faster charing. While it hasn't come up as a need yet I still feel it's money well spent and I know I could always let someone charge here and get a good rate if they were in a pinch.

I like the config, but I'd go obsidian black... Looks amazing with the black 22s and the white seats. Obsidian black or pearl white would be my only 2 choices on the X, I also like red, but only on the S.

For home charging, you could run a single higher amp line to one hpwc, then later if you get another Tesla, you can connect a 2nd hpwc to the first one, and they share the power if needed. Then you benefit from faster charging when you need it, and still are able to charge up 2 vehicles overnight as usual.

Reactions: David29
Had to talk with my kids before, but here's my longer answer.

Color: I really wanted some actual color, but the X just seemed a little too noticeable in red or blue. My last car was "Speed Yellow" and felt like a sitting duck for cops looking to give out tickets.

Interior: I'm in Arizona. Black seats burn you in the summer, so white seemed like a good idea. They've had good reviews here. Carbon fiber was to avoid looking too much like our old BMW. I'm not a big wood fan.

My X will be our road trip car. Hence the upgrade from 90D to 100D for me.
I added the bigger charger for the same reason. If I have to use a destination charger to extend my range I'll be waiting for a little less time.
I stuck with the 20" wheels for the range benefit, plus they're more robust.
And most of the other options are justified as "needed" for long trips.

FSD seemed like a great deal at $3k to me. That's pretty much AP1 cost. I'd expect it to increase in cost in the future, and start seeing some features this year. I was willing to donate to the cause for an early adopter discount. And my use case does not hinge on FSD actually being achieved. If you wait, you end up paying the same price + $1000 and lose whatever use it may have been to you before you bought it. Not at all good for a lease (wait 2 years and pay $4k for just the last year?), but for a purchase it might be OK to wait. Still, $1000 just to see it work before you buy? I'm sure it will have $3k of value to me.

We also plan to get a Model 3. We plan to add a 100A circuit shared by two Tesla wall chargers. That way both cars can charge simultaneously, or one car can charge at a higher rate. Maybe not a big benefit if you max out at 48A and can fit two 50A 14-50 sockets into your electrical service, but it is a little more flexible if you can only add one 50A charger circuit to your load. The wall chargers can be set to limit the amperage to pretty much whatever you can supply, 100A breaker or less, and to share that available amperage between your cars. So if the electrical inspector comes out and says they'll only allow us a 60A load, we just replace the breaker, turn down the wall charger, and we're set to go. If we were counting on two sockets in that case we'd be working on Plan B.

It is likely that our Model 3 order will go in the opposite direction, as our local driver. Smaller battery, fewer options, maybe even no AP.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and suggestions. This is exactly what I was hoping for by posting. I am going to reply to everyone at once rather than individually.

I have debated between the Midnight Silver Metallic and Obsidian Black. I do agree that the Black will look better with the white seats. I think either exterior color will good good with the black wheels. I know the Obisdian is harder to keep clean but looks the best when clean. Midnight seams to look different in every picture I see and depending on the time of day/sun/etc. 50/50 right now. Tough choice. Anyone else struggle between these two colors?

I know about the reduced range, towing limitation, and ride quality with the 22s. I can live will all of that but don't want to get them damaged. Central OH has quite a few potholes too. My wife has destroyed her 2004 TL wheels with curb rash and she will be driving our X on occasion.

I thought about installing a Tesla Wall Connector for around the same price of an extra Tesla Mobile Connector (what comes with the Tesla) in order to keep the mobile connector in the vehicle at all times. I will need to add a subpanel to my electrical panel since I am pretty much maxed out with circuits I believe. Not sure on the amperage limitations for a subpanel install. From what I understand the best future proofing for a 2 Tesla garage would be 2 100amp circuits correct? This would allow for two Teslas with the upgraded 72amp charging to charge at the max rate using two Tesla Wall Connectors correct? I read about daisy chaining the Tesla Wall Connectors. The only benefit to this would be if you can only have 1 100amp circuit correct?

My main issue with the Tesla Wall Connector is placement in my garage. I have included a pic of my back garage wall for reference. We will have to back the Model X into the garage so the FWD don't have a chance of being hit my the opening of the garage door. Undecided if the X will be on the left or right side of the garage. Either parking location lends to an optimal Tesla Wall Connector being placed somewhere on or near the rear wall of the garage (not on the left side wall in the picture). I am not planning on rearranging anything shown. The only two easy locations for 2 Nema 14-50 outlets would be under the worktop where the AV equipment and mini fridge are. One outlet at each location would be ideal I think. Not sure if Tesla Wall Connectors would work in each of those locations since I believe the install manual states they need to be mounted 4ft from the ground (Nema 14-50 is 18in min I think).

IMG_3880-001.JPG

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and suggestions. This is exactly what I was hoping for by posting. I am going to reply to everyone at once rather than individually.

I have debated between the Midnight Silver Metallic and Obsidian Black. I do agree that the Black will look better with the white seats. I think either exterior color will good good with the black wheels. I know the Obisdian is harder to keep clean but looks the best when clean. Midnight seams to look different in every picture I see and depending on the time of day/sun/etc. 50/50 right now. Tough choice. Anyone else struggle between these two colors?

I know about the reduced range, towing limitation, and ride quality with the 22s. I can live will all of that but don't want to get them damaged. Central OH has quite a few potholes too. My wife has destroyed her 2004 TL wheels with curb rash and she will be driving our X on occasion.

I thought about installing a Tesla Wall Connector for around the same price of an extra Tesla Mobile Connector (what comes with the Tesla) in order to keep the mobile connector in the vehicle at all times. I will need to add a subpanel to my electrical panel since I am pretty much maxed out with circuits I believe. Not sure on the amperage limitations for a subpanel install. From what I understand the best future proofing for a 2 Tesla garage would be 2 100amp circuits correct? This would allow for two Teslas with the upgraded 72amp charging to charge at the max rate using two Tesla Wall Connectors correct? I read about daisy chaining the Tesla Wall Connectors. The only benefit to this would be if you can only have 1 100amp circuit correct?

My main issue with the Tesla Wall Connector is placement in my garage. I have included a pic of my back garage wall for reference. We will have to back the Model X into the garage so the FWD don't have a chance of being hit my the opening of the garage door. Undecided if the X will be on the left or right side of the garage. Either parking location lends to an optimal Tesla Wall Connector being placed somewhere on or near the rear wall of the garage (not on the left side wall in the picture). I am not planning on rearranging anything shown. The only two easy locations for 2 Nema 14-50 outlets would be under the worktop where the AV equipment and mini fridge are. One outlet at each location would be ideal I think. Not sure if Tesla Wall Connectors would work in each of those locations since I believe the install manual states they need to be mounted 4ft from the ground (Nema 14-50 is 18in min I think).

View attachment 211632
Damn, that's a nice garage. For charging, I would just run one 100A to a hpwc, and then run the 2nd hpwc off the first. Doubt you will ever need to charge 2 cars really fast at the same time, and odds are your panel can't handle that much draw anyway.

If your dedicated to cleanliness, and from your garage pick you might be, the obsidian black would be my choice. If you want a lower maintenance color, silver would be the best by far, then probably the grey or the white. Personally, it would be white, black, silver, in that order for my color preference, but that's just me.

Damn, that's a nice garage. For charging, I would just run one 100A to a hpwc, and then run the 2nd hpwc off the first. Doubt you will ever need to charge 2 cars really fast at the same time, and odds are your panel can't handle that much draw anyway.

If your dedicated to cleanliness, and from your garage pick you might be, the obsidian black would be my choice. If you want a lower maintenance color, silver would be the best by far, then probably the grey or the white. Personally, it would be white, black, silver, in that order for my color preference, but that's just me.

Thanks. I think that is the best plan. 100A to 1 HPWC for now. Just need to figure out where to install/mount the HPWC. I am dedicated to cleanliness so Black is now my leading choice.

I ordered a black X with the white interior, since I have (and love) a white S. I am purely a classic, crisp B&W person. (even my dog) :D But, my neighbor has the midnight with white and its truly a stunning look. We both have 22" black wheels and the ride, noise, mileage etc are fine. I have 21s on my S and withstood all the naysaying about those with no regrets. Don't expect any regrets on the X 22s either. Same here, ran 1 100A and installed 2 HPWCs. BTW - does you wife have a color preference?

View attachment 211632

What about mounting the Tesla wall charger (or chargers) on the wall next to the cabinets? With the 24 foot cable, it would be able to reach either car location, even the stall to right that we don't quite see. It seems that placing NEMA outlets under the counter would make cable management difficult when the cars are not charging. I don't think it would be good for the NEMA outlets to be continually plugging and unplugging with each charge.

I ordered a black X with the white interior, since I have (and love) a white S. I am purely a classic, crisp B&W person. (even my dog) :D But, my neighbor has the midnight with white and its truly a stunning look. We both have 22" black wheels and the ride, noise, mileage etc are fine. I have 21s on my S and withstood all the naysaying about those with no regrets. Don't expect any regrets on the X 22s either. Same here, ran 1 100A and installed 2 HPWCs. BTW - does you wife have a color preference?

My wife is 50/50 on Midnight vs Obsidian. Do you happen to have any pics of your neighbors X?

Last edited:
What about mounting the Tesla wall charger (or chargers) on the wall next to the cabinets? With the 24 foot cable, it would be able to reach either car location, even the stall to right that we don't quite see. It seems that placing NEMA outlets under the counter would make cable management difficult when the cars are not charging. I don't think it would be good for the NEMA outlets to be continually plugging and unplugging with each charge.

Good point. I could mount the Tesla Wall Charger(s) on the wall to the right of the cabinets and the 24ft should be able to reach any of the 3 stalls (except for a front in Tesla in the leftmost stall). Based on my finished basement drywall ceiling, etc. I may have to have the electrical line come out of the bottom left of the rear wall (just to the left of the leftmost cabinet in my picture). I would think I would be able to run the line in conduit under the cabinets all the way to the right side and then come up the wall to the mounted Tesla Wall Charger. The goal is to not have to uninstall any of the cabinets/countertop/etc. If I did NEMA outlets under the counter I would leave the Tesla cable plugged in all of the time and most likely have the cable coiled up next to either the subwoofer or fridge or both in my garage pic. I would perhaps install some sort of hook under the counter to hold the coiled cable(s) off the ground.

My wife is 50/50 on Midnight vs Obsidian. Do you happen to have any pics of your X and your neighbors X? Perhaps side by side in the same pic?

Mine is not delivered yet, but here is a picture of a fellow TMC-er and his new midnight in the bay and outdoors, spec-ed like yours. (Faster than running next door and TMC-er loves showing his X, so I am sure he wont mind me sharing) Gorgeous!!!! Also, I think @ohmman started X threads by color at one point??? Try a search.

IMG_0277.JPG IMG_7244.jpg

Last edited: