Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Derry pulls plug on electric car charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Derry, NH has decided to shut down the destination chargers installed there in 2018. I charged there several times in the past and always visited local businesses. Too bad I won't be able to do that in the future.

I wonder if Tesla is aware of the situation, as this site is still showing in the navigation. Since Tesla paid some of the cost of putting these stations, isn't there an agreement with the town that requires them to operate them? Otherwise nothing prevents a business to get destination chargers for free from Tesla and just sell them for profit.

We should try to contact both Tesla and Town of Derry to get this station up and running again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koolio46
I wonder if Tesla is aware of the situation, as this site is still showing in the navigation. Since Tesla paid some of the cost of putting these stations, isn't there an agreement with the town that requires them to operate them? Otherwise nothing prevents a business to get destination chargers for free from Tesla and just sell them for profit.

We should try to contact both Tesla and Town of Derry to get this station up and running again.
I noticed the same thing in-car yesterday. Guessing they haven't been communicating with Tesla. Be glad to give them them a call and post back later.

I've used the Derry Tesla destination chargers briefly three times. Twice to patronize a downtown merchant, also to walk a section of the rail trail around Hood Park. A free perk, much appreciated. I can recall seeing one or two other Tesla or Chevy Volt vehicles charging. I'll give the town credit. How many other municipalities in the U.S. have attempted to support Tesla destination charging? I think these chargers are well intended, but town officials might have been misguided believing people would drive off the highway to grab a free Level 2 charge while spending money downtown. The "build it and they come" model likely isn't sustainable there, especially in an area where they almost roll-up the sidewalks in the evening.

I hope Derry will retain the site for public use. For a price, those J1772's can be reconfigured for a "pay to charge" service. Although, quite possibly town officials would have issues converting Tesla equipment to accept payment. Across the parking lot is the town hall. I remember seeing a drop-box on the side of the building for town business. This might sound wishful, but if vehicle owners saw signage suggesting donations, cost per kWh, along with deposit envelopes? Derry might be pleasantly surprised at the result.

I hope Derry will retain the site for public use. For a price, those J1772's can be reconfigured for a "pay to charge" service. Although, quite possibly town officials would have issues converting Tesla equipment to accept payment. Across the parking lot is the town hall. I remember seeing a drop-box on the side of the building for town business. This might sound wishful, but if vehicle owners saw signage suggesting donations, cost per kWh, along with deposit envelopes? Derry might be pleasantly surprised at the result.

There is no need to convert the stations to accept payment. The town can simply install parking meters for these spots. About $1 per hour should cover the costs.

Reactions: Big Earl
The destination charger at the lodge across the street from Mt. Washington has a donation box. Not sure how many ppl donate but I dI’d when I charged for about 45 mins.

it can’t hurt to try it...or parking meters like the other person said.

It was taken offline due to a change in the meter charges from Eversource. Eversource decided to change the meter to demand charges and what was ~$100 a month in charges changed to $600+. It also seems that some local users were using the charging stations as their primary source of charging. It's purpose was (and still should be) to promote EV's and the downtown merchants. The town group that was responsible for the setup was the Net Zero committee.

It was taken offline due to a change in the meter charges from Eversource. Eversource decided to change the meter to demand charges and what was ~$100 a month in charges changed to $600+. It also seems that some local users were using the charging stations as their primary source of charging. It's purpose was (and still should be) to promote EV's and the downtown merchants. The town group that was responsible for the setup was the Net Zero committee.

I hope that Derry, Eversource and Tesla would come up with a solution that would allow to turn the station back on without putting financial burden on the town. I visited Derry several times for the rail trail and always spent money in local businesses. I probably would not have done that if the station wasn't there. Besides a donation box or parking meters that were suggested already, setting a time limit of two to three hours would discourage local residents from using the station as their primary charging source.

I had a conversation with the Derry Net Zero committee chairman. Their members are largely now in favor of user fees for vehicle charging and are looking at various options. I did mention our payment suggestions. He was receptive and will take them back to next month's meeting. Currently they're unable to negotiate the new demand charges enforced by Eversource. The site has a dedicated meter, averaging only 25 cars a month, although he mentioned they could use the line for a possible farmers market. He did hint at some regret the site wasn't originally tied to the town building complex, which could have nullified the recent price spike. I sensed he's frustrated hearing about the same users filling up for free and town residents asking him when the town was going to start filling up their gas tanks too.

Net Zero is currently working on proposals involving NH Public Utilities Commission, Eversource, and the original installation company Revision Energy. The process is expected to be slow, so the site is likely to be down indefinitely. He said the original Tesla equipment was indeed gifted, so it's town property. I explained Tesla owners can still view the Derry site as live on their in-car navigation and on Tesla's 'Find Us' website. He seemed surprised by that news, but conceded that probably nobody has contacted Tesla, saying he'll take care of it.