Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those who call this a price increase, I say it is minor. I would pay slightly less for more than was available and that I actually want than I paid for my Sig. I paid for the red and big packages of unneeded extras. Of course the Sig Red was worth the money to me.

This gives a lot more choice for people.

I applaud the ala carte options selection. Choice is good. Sure the same car I had looked at is more expensive now, but that included certain options I had to get but didn't necessarily want. I can now order the exact car I want. Thank you Tesla on this front.

Pricing is another thing though. I think either Tesla is hurting financially or have so much demand that they can exercise such an increase in individual items. 4500 for 21 wheel set (after paying for included 19"s)? 1500 for a spoiler? 2500 for a redesigned verbiage of the sound studio package description? On this front I say the market will decide (and correct itself). That's fair.

My car is in production. Tesla tells me that, in my specific case (others will vary), I would have to pay the "new" price if I wanted to exit the current production point and get the parking sensors.

So, is it worth $6,000 or more to get parking sensors? I guess not.

I was told that the reason that parking sensors were not originally an option was that the designers thought that they were ugly. I've seen the installation at the factory and I think they are pretty unsightly. I'm glad they are an option of people want them, but I think the car looks a lot better without the bumps.

I was told that the reason that parking sensors were not originally an option was that the designers thought that they were ugly. I've seen the installation at the factory and I think they are pretty unsightly. I'm glad they are an option of people want them, but I think the car looks a lot better without the bumps.

That's always how I've felt about them - the "bumper zits" bother me the way front plates bother some people.

I took a look at the new demo car with them at Santana Row when we were there this morning and they're about the same as most cars, though the middle two on the front hide well in the nose cone.

Aardvark - Thanks for posting your remark about your car in production status. I'm in the same boat and also thought about parking sensors. I can live without them for the additional cost to start over. I'm hoping our price and configuration is locked in as my order was confirmed on 31 July.

@vfx: True, I have (minorly) scratched both sides of my car where the fender flares out. I assume the retrofit option will be to send the nearest SC two new bumpers. I think $2500 would be fair, but @Brianman is probably closer with his $5k guess. I've got the question in to Ownership (not doubt they'll have a lot of these) and will post any answer I get.

Update: Tesla already wrote me back and said they hope to know something about the costs for retrofits in a few weeks.

Last edited: