Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The increases do suck, and I was never one moaning about HAVING to get one thing in order to get another (and it now sounds like it would have been cheaper to get the thing you DIDN'T want along with what you did vs getting it alone), but at least the base price did go down some to allow for the optioning. I guess time will tell if it makes sense, but to me it sounds like it's better for the bottom line than streamlining production (and thus scaling).

I can't speak to the 60KWh base car because I haven't been tracking it, but the base cost for my Canadian P85 dropped by $3500.

Still not enough to cover the cost of the now-optional items, but not insignificant.

Only $3,500? The base price of the US P85 dropped $5,000. Be sure you are including (or excluding) delivery and prep in both cases. Tesla's website has been confusing on this. All other base prices were unchanged from last week.

My 60/leather/pano/tech config increased by only $750, plus my tech package already included most of the new $1K lighting option.

As someone who is planning to drive a 60 for three years, then exercise the buyback and move up to a P85, I'm actually quite happy with the new price changes. I didn't want the red piping, nor would I have gotten the CF trim or spoiler. My "dream" P85 config (MC red/pano/21"/leather/tech/air) is now $99320 with the tax credit, $2K cheaper.

Of course a lot can change in three years, but I think the new a la carte approach makes the things that are most awesome about the car (the 85kWh range and the P85's tremendous acceleration) more accessible to potential buyers, not less.

My 60/leather/pano/tech config increased by only $750, plus my tech package already included most of the new $1K lighting option.

My 85/leather/twinchargers/HPWC/tech/19"/body-color roof/std suspension config delivered in June would be $1400 more today. But, I would be getting better tires, costing $460 more through Tirerack, so the delta is closer to $1K. Were I ordering today, I would delete the $1K lighting package (most or all of which is in my MS) and add the $500 parking sensors. Result would have been a better config for me (better tires and parking sensors), for $900 more than I paid. It appears that the bulk of the price increases affect the P85s loaded up with many options.

Last edited:
My 85/leather/twinchargers/HPWC/tech/19"/body-color roof/std suspension config delivered in June would be $1400 more today. But, I would be getting better tires, costing $460 more through Tirerack, so the delta is closer to $1K. Were I ordering today, I would delete the $1K lighting package (most or all of which is in my MS) and add the $500 parking sensors. Result would have been a better config for me (better tires and parking sensors), for $900 more than I paid. It appears that the bulk of the price increases affect the P85s loaded up with many options.

My P85/leather/twinchargers/HPWC/tech/19"/pano/air susp/sound/MC-Red config increased by $6,850. So my car doesn't have the $500 parking sensors, but has otherwise increased in value by almost $7,000. I'm okay with that. :)

Those who are comparing new and old prices, are you assuming that the $2500 extended nappa leather trim option was part of the old $1500 nappa leather option? I have the nappa leather in my 85. The dash and doors visually match the nappa leather seats beautifully and the stitching looks good everywhere, but the dash/door texture is completely different than the soft nappa leather seats. The doors and dash do not have nappa leather in my 85. No complaints here. My understanding is that the extended nappa leather trim option adds leather where no leather has gone before in a Model S. Maybe the Sigs have leather dash/doors????

Those who are comparing new and old prices, are you assuming that the $2500 extended nappa leather trim option was part of the old $1500 nappa leather option? I have the nappa leather in my 85. The dash and doors visually match the nappa leather seats beautifully and the stitching looks good everywhere, but the dash/door texture is completely different than the soft nappa leather seats. The doors and dash do not have nappa leather in my 85. No complaints here. My understanding is that the extended nappa leather trim option adds leather where no leather has gone before in a Model S. Maybe the Sigs have leather dash/doors????

Was informed by a Sr. DS that the P85s include Nappa leather on the front door armrests, but the dash is synthetic. The new Nappa trim option, when compared to a previous P85, extends the leather to the rear door armrests and the dash.

Only $3,500? The base price of the US P85 dropped $5,000. Be sure you are including (or excluding) delivery and prep in both cases. Tesla's website has been confusing on this. All other base prices were unchanged from last week.

I was just using the base price of a P85 in the design studio. Currently $100,670CAD, down from $104,170CAD on July 27. Don't know if that includes D&P or not.

P.S. I can no longer store configurations to my Tesla profile, either. But that was the case even before the August DS updates. Is this normal?

CoreyM posted on the TM forum that he exchanged emails with Jerome G about the "extended nappa leather trim", and this was Jerome's response:

"Regarding your specific questions, the 'extended nappa leather trim' is indeed new. It covers in leather many parts which were previously wrapped in synthetic material (instrument panel lower panels, center armrests, pillar armrests). The leather coverage with the 'extended nappa leather trim' is very similar to what is installed in the signature cars."
Buy My 2013 Tesla Model S P85+... Fully Loaded, Cheaper Than Buying New | Forums | Tesla Motors

Are the arm rests synthetic in all cars to date? I thought mine were real leather, but I don't really have a good way to determine that.

Are you referring to the center arm rests or the door arm rests? The material on my center arm rests is indistinguishable from my black Nappa leather seats: same texture and feel. The material on my door arm rests matches the synthetic leather on my dash: same pebbling, texture, and feel.

Are you referring to the center arm rests or the door arm rests? The material on my center arm rests is indistinguishable from my black Nappa leather seats: same texture and feel. The material on my door arm rests matches the synthetic leather on my dash: same pebbling, texture, and feel.

Both. They are both very smooth to the touch, and and very similar to the seat material. On the other hand, the the lower dash, upper dash, seat fronts and sides (the parts of the seat I don't normally come in contact with), and strangely, the middle "bump" on the back seat are all have a much rougher texture.

Both. They are both very smooth to the touch, and and very similar to the seat material. On the other hand, the the lower dash, upper dash, seat fronts and sides (the parts of the seat I don't normally come in contact with), and strangely, the middle "bump" on the back seat are all have a much rougher texture.

K - you got me to go out and check. :smile:

The upper covering on the doors is a more pebbled, harder material ("Synthetic A").

OkRObpo.jpg

The lower doors (including the door arm rests) are softer and less pebbled but still not smooth ("Synthetic B").

pDbKg2G.jpg

The dash (upper and lower) matches the upper doors ("Synthetic A").

cVo9hyr.jpg

As you described, the fronts and sides of the seats match the door arm rests ("Synthetic B").

UAa55wZ.jpg

My center arm rests match the seats exactly: flat (no texture) and very smooth (Nappa leather, presumably).

ruYWV4M.jpg

My back seats are all one material (Nappa leather), including the bumps.

L7F22fC.jpg

----------

This is a 60 kWh with leather, P#1550x, finalized 6/16 delivered 7/23. Is your car different?

K - you got me to go out and check. :smile:

The upper covering on the doors is a more pebbled, harder material ("Synthetic A").

That's just like mine.

The lower doors (including the door arm rests) are softer and less pebbled but still not smooth ("Synthetic B").

That part is quite smooth on mine, just like the center arm rests.

The dash (upper and lower) matches the upper doors ("Synthetic A").

Same on mine, except I have tan, so the upper dash is black and the lower is tan, but I'm pretty sure they are both synthetic.

My back seats are all one material (Nappa leather), including the bumps.

View attachment 27878

I mean the bump at the front edge of the seat bench, in the very middle. (It's not in your picture.) There's one at each seating position, and the middle one feels bumpy while the left and right ones feel smooth.

This is a 60 kWh with leather, P#1550x, finalized 6/16 delivered 7/23. Is your car different?

Details in my signature, but I'm later than you (VIN x3898) and I have tan instead of black.

<the lower portion of the doors (including the door arm rests)> is quite smooth on mine, just like the center arm rests.

So that's one difference.

I mean the bump at the front edge of the seat bench, in the very middle. (It's not in your picture.) There's one at each seating position, and the middle one feels bumpy while the left and right ones feel smooth.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I'll take a look.

Details in my signature, but I'm later than you (VIN x3898) and I have tan instead of black.

You're earlier. :) 15500x = ~15,500. I've had my car for just two weeks.