Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone come from bigger size sedan to Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Zcd1 ...Also, have you owned both and put 50k miles on both? That’s my fact....
The independent, fact-based conclusion of thousands of owners (and not just your or my experience) is that the Model 3 is far more reliable than either the Model S or X.

But it seems that you're only interested in opinions, not facts, and then only if they align with yours.

Reliable was not my word. I said made better. How many of those 3 owners raving about their cars have lived with a S? What makes the 3 more reliable? I see as many of them at the SC as the other models. There are still build quality issues with a 3/Y that should have been solved by now. You can't be that ignorant. Well, anyone can I guess.

Just to name a few, sound insulation, road noise, wind noise, vampire drain all better in the S.
My 3's rear seat floor area goes thump thump thump

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
I came from a Toyota Tundra. I haven't found any issues with the available trunk space. I think it has plenty of space for all the things that I would have placed in the truck bed. Except for maybe rocks and mulch.. Wouldn't recommend that!

I see as many of them at the SC as the other models.

So, you're saying that since Model 3s sometimes need service, and that you see "as many of them" at service centers as you do Model S and X, that means the Model S and X are "made better"?!?? Probably has nothing to do with the fact that something like 20x as many Model 3s have been sold as Model S and X combined, right?

But hey, troll away if it makes you happy...

Reliable was not my word. I said made better. How many of those 3 owners raving about their cars have lived with a S? What makes the 3 more reliable? I see as many of them at the SC as the other models. There are still build quality issues with a 3/Y that should have been solved by now. You can't be that ignorant. Well, anyone can I guess.

Just to name a few, sound insulation, road noise, wind noise, vampire drain all better in the S.
My 3's rear seat floor area goes thump thump thump

agree w/ noise but vampire drain better in the S? link?

@Zcd1 you're funny. I cited several facts about how the S is made better. You just refer to the thousands of other opinions. jeesh.

agree w/ noise but vampire drain better in the S? link?
to clarify, I meant the Model S looses less miles a day than the Model 3. Not the other way.
Are we on the same page? I don't need a link I'll take note of what my S and 3 miles say right NOW and report back in 24 hours

Is this the time when I mention charge rate nerfing, MCU failures, screen replacements and the fact that a Model S can't maintain its performance due to overheating, or that it handles like a boat by comparison to the Model 3? Nah, because that would be trolling, and irrelevant to this particular conversation.

Back on topic, whether a Model 3 works for a driver who's been accustomed to a larger vehicle or not depends on what traits are important to that driver. Works great for me, maybe not for everyone.

Nerfing, relative if it even affects you that much
MCU fixable
Screen replaceable
Please tell me you drive your 3 on the track to even let the overheating concern be relevant
You are comparing handling of two different weight classes. Do you like your BMW M3 or BMW M5. That's similar to your last statement which I agree with.

Also, 2012 tech versus current...
Wait 5 more years, the 3 will succumb to the same fate

Stay with Audi if you want a superior built car. Yes, tesla has the best drivetrain but they can't build a car to save there lives and there dealer network is horrible. Sorry, but it's the truth.
----------
1.Tesla (to my knowledge) doesn't have a "dealer Network"...they are company stores with Tesla employees.
2. Understand on earlier Teslas the fit and finish were not stellar. My 2020 Mod 3P has a few gotchas in fit/finish but overall pretty good..
3. Check the crash tests, however, you will see Tesla has a fleet of impact safety that very few manufactures have. (watch the side drift of the Model X when they're trying to make it roll over. It hits a berm of heavy sand about 8 to 10 inches high, the X rolls on it's side up to the rain gutter, then rolls all the way back the way it came to stand on it's tires.
...Just sayin'.

Reactions: vickh
I'm late to the party as you have already ordered...but I came out of a Mercedes S Class into my M3P. Can't really compare the cars as they are so very different - other than the fact that both make me smile. Hopefully you'll have the same experience.

Stay with Audi if you want a superior built car. Yes, tesla has the best drivetrain but they can't build a car to save there lives and there dealer network is horrible. Sorry, but it's the truth.
I've owned Audi A6, A3, Porsche Macan (upgraded Q5), 2 VW GTI (Audis with more spirit), and bought the newest gen A4 for my niece and can say that my anecdotal experience renders your opinion rubbish. There is much more that just a powertrain that makes Tesla owners the happiest car buyers out there. I would suggest the OP buy a 3 with total confidence that he will love it, with the only caveat having to do with 2 6 footers sitting in tandem which MIGHT be worse, tho I wonder about the headroom in the rear of the A7.

I have a 2014 P85 and the wife has a same year Impala.
I also at the moment have a very low VIN as in under 100 3LR as a service loaner.

The steering in the 3 is nimble, I wont be trading either of the other cars in on one. The expansion joints on a local frequently travelled road are spaced just right so that I feel like I win if I last 8 seconds in the 3

The smallest car I have ever owned though is a Chevy Sports Sedan, which is pretty close in size to the S but is a smidge smaller. So the only time I have driven small cars is as rentals.

I tested vampire drain on my 2021 TM3P.
Wifi in range, sentry mode off, outside temperature ranging from 2-4 degrees celsius.
Between 7PM last night and 8AM this morning the car lost 2km of range. From 341 to 339.
I'm curious, though. Why are we comparing distance lost instead of charge lost? Rated miles per kWh isn't the same on TMS and TM3 afaik.

Reactions: vickh
I had a Model S, now a model 3 performance. I used both as a commuter car. The 3 is fine for my needs, but the S felt better to me, primarily because I'm taller with wide shoulders. I know the official measurements indicate that interior volume is similar, but I just felt better in the S. That said, the 3 serves its function.

Reactions: jpk195
I think the 3 is the perfect commuter car. I have a LR RWD, and I’m almost looking forward to commuting again...

We are a family of 4 and the 3 has worked well for most things. We also have a CX-5 that we basically never drive.

The first issue with the 3 that I’m seeing is fitting a dog. Hard to see that working with the kids in the back seat. I’m looking to upgrade to an S when we get one.