TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Did anyone upgrade from 48 to 72 Amps?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by K-MTG, Aug 30, 2016.

1. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Did anyone "enable" after delivery for $1900. Is this just a software limit, I assume it is by the word "enable".
    Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 8.31.12 PM.png

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

That is the dual charger option. You have to have actual hardware installed to get the upgrade.

• Dislike x 1
  3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Not on the X it isn't. You're thinking of the S.

The X has a single charger, 48 or 72A. I'm assuming it's software restricted. Have you called about it, @K-MTG? Are you itching for more glory?

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. Kay Kay

Kay Kay Member

I did order 72 amp on MX

5. David99

David99 Active Member

That used to be the old charger. There was either a single or a dual charger option. Now there is only one charger both in the Model S and X that is software limited to 48 amp and can be 'upgraded' to 72 Amp if you pay. There is no different hardware and any installation. It's just a software limitation.

• Informative x 2
  6. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

How did you order? Did you contact Tesla? Is it software?

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If that is correct, that seems like an odd thing to do.

Some might point to the AP option for an analogy, but I don't see that the same way. With AP there are significant and ongoing costs for software development that need to be paid for. So while every car currently being produced has AP hardware, if you want AP functionality in your car you have to pay the option cost, in essence "turning on" software that is in the car, but software that has a lot of cost for Tesla.

If the current onboard AC charger hardware can do either 48A or 72A then the software is present to handle either of those settings and that software development is done, no ongoing costs.

So why is Tesla doing that way? Or is there really a hardware difference?

8. travwill

travwill Member

In my view they do this because in order of reasons:

1. They charger more to enable hardware features later, thus making more $ cumulatively. $500 more for AP later for example, more for charger enabled later, more for battery upgrade later, etc.

2. With good design, and more of a "flip a flag or variable" approach, then they don't really occur any additional software expense to do it this way, its too simple to do. The same software has to be written and distributed either way, just check if enabled or not.

9. number12

number12 Member

I was told you would have to take into service center to "upgrade".. I got that option with my order.

10. ecarfan

That seems like an odd thing for Tesla to do, but based on the fact that the configuration page clearly states that the 72A capability can be "enabled" later for an additional charge I don't see how there can be a hardware difference.

Some might point to the AP option for an analogy, but I don't see that the same way. With AP there are significant and ongoing costs for software development that need to be paid for. So while every car currently being produced has AP hardware, if you want AP functionality in your car you have to pay the option cost, in essence "turning on" software that is in the car, but software that has a lot of cost for Tesla.

If the current onboard AC charger hardware can do either 48A or 72A then the software is present to handle either of those settings and that software development is done, no ongoing costs, and there is only one version of the hardware.

So why is Tesla doing it that way?

11. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

My car was ordered with 72amp charger but they delivered it with only the 48 I went to the service center and they plugged in a laptop and flipped a setting to allow the 72amp charging.

I can confirm its a software change, not a hardware one.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  12. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

But apparently not an OTA software change.

13. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

For most MXs it's a software change. For the early builds (up to VIN 4500 or so), it requires a hardware change. All sigs and founders cars came with 72A standard.

• Informative x 2
  14. Tech_Guy

I can't say for sure on that, at the time it seemed all refreshed cars that ordered the 72 amp were delivered with 48. There was a thread where we all shared our info and one person claims they got the fix pushed over the air. I think they where a few hours away from a service center so they were very thankful. I didn't try contacting technical support phone number at the time to ask.

15. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

And I was informed that on the Model S, it's a hardware change. Plenty cause for confusion!

16. number12

number12 Member

Is this something we should just ask about at deliver? I live 3 hours away from service center and ordered 72AMP

17. Tech_Guy

#17 Tech_Guy, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    image.jpeg
    You can tell at delivery, with the car unplugged from a charger select the lightning bolt / charging icon at the top of the main screen. You will get a screen that shows charging percentage and at the bottom right it shows charge current and max amps in this picture you can see what I saw on my car before it was fixed max 48A, it now shows max 72A

18. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Back when we initially had this discussion, one user guessed that the heat strain on the charger at 72A might increase the odds of failure, and that the uncharge was intended to pay for the warranty claims. That seems like a bad business model, but it was the only remotely plausible reason I saw posted.

19. ecarfan

Thanks. I find that possible explanation to be not plausible. I think there is a reason, we just can't figure it out because we lack the necessary information.

20. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Well, if someone really wants to find out if it's hardware or software, just pull the lower back seat cushion out. The charger(s) is/are under the seat.

• Dislike x 1