Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon Musk lie to us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over a year ago, Elon tweeted this:

"Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.
4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

For the last year, I, and probably everyone else here have been patiently, or not, waiting to see the "spaceship" steering controls and system we had been promised. Two days ago, Jalopnik, and a few other websites showed pictures of what is represented to be the final production Model 3. http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-full-tesla-model-3-way-before-youre-suppose-1794073497.

However, what Jalopnik, et al. showed was the same interior presented to the public over a year ago at the original introduction of the Model 3. What is going on? Did Elon con us with our one year wait for our vaporware "spaceship"? If the interior we saw at last year's introduction was it, why all the mystery and subterfuge? Was it just to boost orders to impress the stock and bond markets? This is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed now.

Who knows what he meant by "feels like a spaceship". Personally, I think he may have been talking about Full Self Driving (sitting back in the seat and just feeling smooth acceleration would feel like being in a spaceship).

Full Self Driving is certainly a steering control system.
After all that happened, that is my take also. He could have something else in mind, but all that was before AP 2 and that all cars would have hardware for level 5, etc.

We won't know until the June (?) event.

Reactions: cdub
Right after the tweet above we had:

Brandon Valvo‏ @BValvsRacing 3 Apr 2016
  1. @elonmusk The lack of a dashboard/HUD is something that I don't think I could get used to. That's the only thing I don't like about the car.

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @BValvsRacing
@BValvsRacing
It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil

and then just before the Full Self Driving announcement he said:

✔ @elonmusk
Tesla announcement goes live at 5pm California time. 30 minutes of media Q&A to follow.

✔@elonmusk
@elonmusk
This is also what I was alluding to by Model 3 part 2

By that sequence of tweets it seemed fairly clear to me that Full Self Driving was what he was probably referring to all the time.

We subscribed to a not-fully-defined product with a fine print that said specifications subject to change without notice so unfortunately Tesla can decide what the production car will be. At least we have a vague idea of what we are getting.

The last time I did this waiting game, Toyota totally mislead their fans showing us the NS4 prototype and keeping us in suspense for 4 years without showing us their production intent design until they revealed the completed Prius Gen4 which turned out not to be anything like the designs they had hinted.

After the Toyota experience, I don't mind what Tesla is doing because we know quite a bit about what we are getting.

"Cosmin Davidoaia @HBL_Cosmin
@elonmusk 1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

"4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016Roman Pushkov @iKrivetko
@elonmusk why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design?:|
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@iKrivetko that's not the real steering system
4:54 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

You can try to spin that anyway you want; but, if the Jalopnik photos are the final interior design, Elon lied.

@elonmusk 1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

You can try to spin that anyway you want; but, if the Jalopnik photos are the final interior design, Elon lied.

For starters, you have no clue what the steering controls will look like yet so you can't say anything about it.

The interior of the car (ie: the display) other than the steering controls has very little to do with Elon's comment. It's very easy to drop in at different steering wheel a the last minute where it doesn't need to be in the mules/prototypes we have pics of.

Lastly, Félix Godard, lists "Model 3 | Steering wheel design" among his design projects at Tesla...

Elon mentioned the final production model won't even be shown until possibly June or more likely July. Anything you've seen up to this point is not necessarily final.

Was it a lie? No, all signs are pointing to something we haven't seen yet.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: lukex4 and Lem89
Technically EM didn't say what year M3 will feel like a spaceship, might be 2018 or 2020 or 2030...

If you believe all the hype you will always be dissapointed.

"Feels like a spaceship" is subjective to his point of view. Also likely was something to do with a user-facing feature that couldn't make it into production due to constraints. Saying he was referring to the self-driving capability in general is ridiculous and laughable.

[10 Jan 2016]@elonmusk "In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY"

"Should" is different than "will". Similarly, there is no lie in that statement either although he is so far off in his assessment of AI requirements it's as if he lives in a fantasy world. It is as if he's substituting his own hopeful or desirable timeline with the realistic and practical timeline. This is something a CEO may do internally to set a vision. But in many cases, Musk has indeed gone too far with public hype fueled by his ambitious goals and he really should know better (simply because there are consequences for nondiscerning people who will believe him).

Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

Maybe he meant "space invaders" controls.
Atari-2600-Joystick.jpg

So just based on some photos you know exactly how the Model 3 driver/car interface will function.

Wait until you have driven a Model 3 or have read multiple Model 3 car reviews where the reviewer has spent time driving the Model 3 and describes the interface in detail before you decide. Until then, you have no idea whether or not Elon's tweets are accurate or not.

Reactions: lukex4
For starters, you have no clue what the steering controls will look like yet so you can't say anything about it.

The interior of the car (ie: the display) other than the steering controls has very little to do with Elon's comment. It's very easy to drop in at different steering wheel a the last minute where it doesn't need to be in the mules/prototypes we have pics of.

Lastly, Félix Godard, lists "Model 3 | Steering wheel design" among his design projects at Tesla...

Elon mentioned the final production model won't even be shown until possibly June or more likely July. Anything you've seen up to this point is not necessarily final.

Was it a lie? No, all signs are pointing to something we haven't seen yet.

I do find it hard to believe that the steering wheel will have no controls like the prototype one (not even a volume control). That would tend to imply a new steering wheel will be coming.

(And for the no new technology comment, they would probably use the new steering wheel across the line.)

Reactions: JeffK
None of this matters, if the 3 is not profitable, Tesla ceases to exist. Period.

If Tesla can deliver FSD + electric with decent range, car ownership ends as a necessity for most people. It will be cost prohibitive to own a car vs autonomous electric ride sharing. I'm not talking 20 years, I'm talking 5-10. The model 3 I purchase will be the last car I ever purchase.

When you go from gas to autonomous cars that run on sun, the cost for a ride is miniscule compared to owning and paying insurance and manage and parking fees and so on and so on. Need a van, summon a van. Need a truck, snap your fingers. Need a semi.. No problem.

So it really doesn't matter if Elon lied or changed his mind or reality changed his vision. If the 3 is not profitable, it's over. End of story.

Reactions: PAULL
Ford, GM et al are desperate to copy your designs

Do you

A - not give a hoot and show everyone in advance of your release?
B - keep your powder dry and use something deliberately misleading?

I know what I'd do if it was my company....

Exactly what I was thinking. They HAVE to know that these cars are going to be photographed, especially so near the Tesla sites where people will be looking for them. Are they going to hold their cards close to their chest for A YEAR only to then lay them down on the table face up?

We're seeing cars now to continue the hype and build anticipation. Judging how we are now seeing links and stories even on non-Tesla related websites how would you say it's working?

(And they haven't spent an advertising DIME! Ok, maybe a few on Kwh to drive the Model 3s around! :p)