Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I hear correctly? FSD WILL require hardware updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you can’t order FSD anymore...

Yes, you can. You have to contact Tesla to do it though- they didn't remove the option, they just removed it from the web configurator because newbies were getting confused about what the difference was between FSD and EAP.

If you know what FSD is, and you want to buy it now, Tesla will be happy to still do that for you.

If you ordered your car on or before June 25, 2018. Tesla will still honor the 4000.00 upgrade price. Just received the below email today.

Hello Mal,

Tesla will honor the $4,000 pricing for anyone that ordered a car on or before Monday, 6/25/18. Please send us proof of purchase and we will refund $1000. I hope this helps!
Thank you for being Tesla Owner and have a wonderful day!

Best Regards,
Trupti S | Executive Care
6800 Dumbarton Circle, Fremont, CA 94555
24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752

Yes, you can. You have to contact Tesla to do it though- they didn't remove the option, they just removed it from the web configurator because newbies were getting confused about what the difference was between FSD and EAP.

If you know what FSD is, and you want to buy it now, Tesla will be happy to still do that for you.
That is not what Musk says

Elon Musk on Twitter

Btw, that was more than a week ago.

If you ordered your car on or before June 25, 2018. Tesla will still honor the 4000.00 upgrade price. Just received the below email today.

Hello Mal,

Tesla will honor the $4,000 pricing for anyone that ordered a car on or before Monday, 6/25/18. Please send us proof of purchase and we will refund $1000. I hope this helps!
Thank you for being Tesla Owner and have a wonderful day!

Best Regards,
Trupti S | Executive Care
6800 Dumbarton Circle, Fremont, CA 94555
24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752
Order or Accept delivery?

BMW in 2017: Here is a nice 3 Series for $56,000 with a non-touchscreen iDrive screen.
BMW in 2018: We now have a touchscreen on the 3 Series iDrive. If you want it you will need to buy another $56,000 car.

Tesla in 2018: Here's a fabulous Model 3 EV with EAP and the hardware needed for FSD.
Tesla in 2019: We have a new computer board to update your FSD in your 2018 Model 3. It's 10 times faster than the one that shipped in the car. It's yours for free. Just let us install it.

As if.

Not disagreeing about the BMW situation, but since when is anything at Tesla free? They even charge for floor mats, so do you really believe they will just give you a new computer board free of charge? Goes against anything I have ever experienced with Tesla. Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but am not counting on it one bit. Then again, by the time they ship cars to Europe, perhaps the new hardware version is already installed anyway.

That is not what Musk says

Elon Musk on Twitter

Btw, that was more than a week ago.

Actually that's exactly what Musk said. On the earnings call. 2 days ago.

Elon Musk said:
And anyone who saw once to order full-self driving at this point, it's just an off menu item, you can still order it. But we took it off the order menu just because it was really creating a lot of friction in the sales process, and people didn't understand the difference between enhanced autopilot and full-self driving. So, just to simplify the order process we switched that off and anyone who asks for it can certainly get it

(bold added)
Source-
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Q3 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript -- The Motley Fool

As if.

Not disagreeing about the BMW situation, but since when is anything at Tesla free? They even charge for floor mats, so do you really believe they will just give you a new computer board free of charge? Goes against anything I have ever experienced with Tesla. Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but am not counting on it one bit. Then again, by the time they ship cars to Europe, perhaps the new hardware version is already installed anyway.

My floor mats were included in my Tesla. Unlike my BMW...

Trust me, as someone who owned three BMWs, the latest being a 2017 you didn't get them for free. Hell, BMW puts cargo net hooks in the trunk, then makes you pay for the net.

I don't doubt that.
My point was that Tesla, at least over here, also charges for every single item, and most dearly too. Like floor mats, etc.
There is no such thing as a free lunch, as they say.
That's why I was sceptical about a possible hardware retrofit like a new computer board being free. Perhaps in the US, very likely not over here.