Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I hear correctly? FSD WILL require hardware updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if a hardware update is needed and they knew it it sucks that they would not be installing the new hardware already
I cannot comprehend your characterization - maybe additional research before assuming the worst. It was clear on the quarterly call the new hardware is not ready which is why it was not installed in your car. You should be appreciative of the only car company that gives you free upgrades even if you didn’t buy the feature.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
To those who have bought fsd. Why Tesla would swap the computer, if owner has not bought fsd.

Because we purchased a FSD capable vehicle, regardless of whether or not we purchased the option. It's in the article. Try reading.

We have the option to add FSD after delivery for $5k. That's in the purchase contract. They can't then go back later and say "oh yeah, that's $5k plus an extra $2k fof this new computer."

Because we purchased a FSD capable vehicle, regardless of whether or not we purchased the option. It's in the article. Try reading.

We have the option to add FSD after delivery for $5k. That's in the purchase contract. They can't then go back later and say "oh yeah, that's $5k plus an extra $2k fof this new computer."

Enable-after-delivery prices do not appear to be in the purchase contract. Tesla has previously retroactively increased AP1 activation by $500 for all owners when they increased the price of the option towards the end of AP1.

Similarly, maintenance plans have been price-variable too. Enable-after-delivery options also can disappear altogether, like the 48A->72A charger software upgrade for that range of VINs.

But the same works on the flipside. When the 60->75 software unlock price decreased, it did so for all owners retroactively.

But yeah, it's great Tesla isn't retroactively increasing the price of the FSD activation. But I do not see a single thing in my MVPA or order agreement that guarantees that.

I don't think that's what he's asking. Why would Tesla swap the computer out if you haven't already purchased FSD? In other words, is this new computer needed for the base safety features that come with the car? Does EAP require this new computer? If not, then if you didn't already buy FSD, there is no reason to swap the computer, until the point in time where you decide to buy it.

is that amount for FSD upgrade actually listed in the original purchase contract, or what is posted online - which has changed dynamically over the past couple months? I'd like to know if it was in my original paper contract (where technically it would have listed 4K$ upgrade after purchase) vs. the 5K that now shows online as of July 1, 2018.

IMO if you purchased the FSD at the time of delivery or purchase it before the upgrade is available, then I'm pretty confident that the hardware will be at Tesla's cost (free to owner).....

If purchased after the hardware is available, then the cost of the hardware will be included in the FSD price... Which means it could go up...

I feel twice vindicated: I said that I thought that FSD would require more hardware than came in the car. I was right. And Tesla is providing the needed hardware, so I feel vindicated in my belief that Tesla is the most pro-consumer car company out there.

I still don't think we'll have FSD for many years, or even Level 4 autonomy (go to sleep in the back seat, and the car parks and wakes you up when you're needed). But depending on the features released for cars with the "FSD" package I may end up deciding to pony up the cash. At present I find that in the city I'd rather drive than engage AP because of the way it behaves at stoplights: It brakes too abruptly when stopped cars are ahead, and hesitates too long before accelerating when the car ahead moves. So in-city features might not be enough to entice me. Where I really love AP is on the highway, where the car is driving itself more than 95% of the time. Full awareness of nearby cars and proper reaction to them is what could get me to pay the extra money. Things like giving cars in the adjacent lane more space, or moving over when an on-coming truck or car is too close to the line. On curves my car tends to hug the outside of the curve, and it does not react when an on-coming truck is practically on the line. That's one of the times when I take over. If the FSD package handled that situation better I'd give them the $4,000 or $5,000 (?) for the upgrade.

what sucks is that I just got the car, if a hardware update is needed and they knew it it sucks that they would not be installing the new hardware already and that the car would need to go into service for the upgrade which would mean thousands of cars needing it, which service and turn around time is not their strength, as I am waiting over a week just for a call back from service. for me justification that it "sucks" :)

They advertised so much that every car since sometime 2016 has full self driving capable hardware, so they should really be upgrading everyone's hardware regardless of if they preordered FSD or not. That is what they advertised but that is not what customers got. Frustrating that they get away with making these claims with zero evidence, all marketing wank. They probably got a lot of their customers based on their marketing of self driving cars, which has turned out to be lie after lie. And to those saying that it isnt deception, it was just too optimistic... Thats BS. The people in charge of autopilot development knew those timelines were never going to be met, yet Elon made the claims anyways. Hopefully the lawsuits have taught them some lessons...

You do have a bit of a point. It was certainly advertised as FSD capable, and one made the decision to buy or not at time of purchase the FUTURE upgrade option. If in the end, they charge me the 4K I agreed to for the future FSD enablement and include any hardware upgrade in that fee, it will be fine with me. It's what my expectation was initially - but they won't SAY it.. they are notably vague in the CC's and other places about whether or not someone WITHOUT having bought FSD UPFRONT will have to pay something extra above and beyond the expected FSD software enablement fee. I'd really like them to come out and say it clearly.

Well, and then confirm that those of us who didn't buy FSD software enablement at TOP for 4K, can still get it for 4K, and not the 5K currently listed. Or more than that would be even worse.

Time will tell, but I think we're several years out regardless, other than some small limited FSD enablement.

They advertised so much that every car since sometime 2016 has full self driving capable hardware, so they should really be upgrading everyone's hardware regardless of if they preordered FSD or not. That is what they advertised but that is not what customers got.

The new hardware is not available yet. For anyone. So your accusations are premature. It remains to be seen if non-FSD cars will get the new hardware or not.

However, it was a BIG mistake to claim these cars could be made FSD before the technology actually existed.

Where does it say that the upgrade is free if you don’t have fsd (which you can’t buy anymore)?
Sorry I can't quote the article. But if you have FSD, they will upgrade the car with the proper hardware. If you don't have FSD, could you not upgrade from Enhanced Autodrive? I would check directly with Tesla on the specifics. Best to get information directly from the manufacturer.