Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I hear correctly? FSD WILL require hardware updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that FSD will in fact require hardware updates to 3.0? Just received my car 7/3 pre ordered FSD I assume that any upgrade would be covered?

It is covered. You will get an appointment at some stage to drive over to a service center for the technician to swap motherboards for free.

Regulatory approval of FSD in your state will be something else entirely. No timescale on that. And we can expect the same lobbying from competitors and concerned parties as we have seen with dealerships.

Reactions: AnarchyEOD
It is covered. You will get an appointment at some stage to drive over to a service center for the technician to swap motherboards for free.

Regulatory approval of FSD in your state will be something else entirely. No timescale on that. And we can expect the same lobbying from competitors and concerned parties as we have seen with dealerships.
Taxi driver union with be teaming with the dealership lobby to block FSD, so dont worry it will be awhile..

I read that FSD will in fact require hardware updates to 3.0? Just received my car 7/3 pre ordered FSD I assume that any upgrade would be covered? sort of sucks...
What sort of sucks? That Tesla is continually improving its cars? That a computer component may need to be swapped out in order to activate FSD when the time comes? Name one other car company that would do that.

Last edited:
What sort of sucks? That Tesla is continually improving it’s cars? That a computer component may need to be swapped out in order to activate FSD when the time comes? Name one other car company that would do that.
what sucks is that I just got the car, if a hardware update is needed and they knew it it sucks that they would not be installing the new hardware already and that the car would need to go into service for the upgrade which would mean thousands of cars needing it, which service and turn around time is not their strength, as I am waiting over a week just for a call back from service. for me justification that it "sucks" :)

Tesla should offer an auto-commute mode within FSD where the car "watches" your daily commute for a few weeks (or however long) and, once it learns it, the car can then drive you to work every day. In my opinion, a vast majority of owners want FSD for the daily commute more than anything else, especially, if it can be had sooner than waiting for it to be ready for all driving situations.

Not sure "sucks" is the right term.... "inconvenient" might be closer....

But.... Get use to it..... As the car continues to evolve, I expect that this "upgrade" process is something that we will see over the years of ownership....

I look at it as a "+"..... No other car that I have even owned has evolved during the length of my ownership.... So, bring the computer upgrade on!

I look forward to it.... What's a couple of hours of waiting for a major update to my car!

Hell, I waited 2 years - 2 months and 15 days for it.....

Reactions: Matt L
what sucks is that I just got the car, if a hardware update is needed and they knew it it sucks that they would not be installing the new hardware already and that the car would need to go into service for the upgrade which would mean thousands of cars needing it, which service and turn around time is not their strength, as I am waiting over a week just for a call back from service. for me justification that it "sucks" :)
The new chip is still being tested. My guess is it will be next year before it's finalized and mass produced. Would you rather that Tesla delayed your car delivery until then?

Tesla can't win with some owners. When it improves a car, owners of earlier cars complain that the car they just bought isn't the latest and greatest anymore. When it finds it needs to update cars already delivered, owners complain it's an inconvenience, that the future version should have been included in their earlier car. Maybe some people would be happier buying a car from a legacy manufacturer. It is what it is, forever.

Yeah, no option now except a retrofit in the future since they apparently don't have production AI chips yet. This is pretty much what I expected when we found out that the Nvidia card Tesla used was not considered adequate for FSD. So they put something cheap in that can run EAP and retrofit their own computer when their chip is ready. Saves buying an expensive early-adopter computer from the start, and everyone has the same hardware when FSD is ready.

The new hardware doesn't exist yet. It still may be a year before the software that uses the new hardware will be needed.

And assuming that you will need to go on for service to get it replaced is old style thinking. I can easily see this being done by the mobile service team.

Reactions: S3XY
Would FSD not be released like Autopilot, in stages, starting with parts already widely legal? Such as reading stop signs and light, but with active driver oversight?

i would argue that reading stop signs and lights "with active driver oversight" is autopilot, not FSD. it's not "full self driving" if the driver has to sit there and actively still oversee the driving of the car...

Tesla has previously said that this upgrade will be offered for free since Tesla has been advertising Autopilot 2.0 cars as being fully autonomous ready and therefore, any upgrade to make it fully autonomous should be free.

they've already said they're going to replace the computer for free next year when it's ready, and you're STILL bitching about it? seriously?

It already is being released in stages, what do you think the car is doing now?
I think the updates are adding the listed Autopilot features, not any part of FSD suite. Things like stop signs and lights are not listed under the Autopilot suite of features to come, so I don’t expect Tesla to add them for free. Instead my guess is those come under the FSD banner to get people to pay more. I also think unlikely that FSD is released in 1 bulk update and the car drives itself. Like Autopilot, it will likely be in bits and pieces over many years of updates, with high degree of driver oversight to start and while laws catch up.

Tesla should offer an auto-commute mode within FSD where the car "watches" your daily commute for a few weeks (or however long) and, once it learns it, the car can then drive you to work every day. In my opinion, a vast majority of owners want FSD for the daily commute more than anything else, especially, if it can be had sooner than waiting for it to be ready for all driving situations.
That was literally one of the declared features of FSD. Along with going to event locations in your calendar and taking your home if you get in and don't give it a destination (e.g. passed out drunk).

• Funny
Reactions: BlueRocket
Very exciting times @ TESLA Inc....

Here’s a bullet-point overview of Elon’s core statements:

¤ New hardware is a plug-and-play option that can be put into existing cars.

¤ It has 10 times faster performance than what was used before.

¤ Tesla has been working for 3 years on this.

¤ Tesla has been using this in stealth operation going up to today. (Full article for your perusal below)

Btw, I believe Tesla will roll out their mobile service techs to visit Tesla owners to change over the
"plug and play" compute chip.
This would be more customer friendly and probably less costly to Tesla Inc

Tesla Autopilot Improvements Are *Insane* — Let's Get Technical | CleanTechnica