Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I make a mistake by ordering 21 inch wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Unless Tesla is different than other car makers....

I've never leased a car before, but really? If you lease a car for 2, 3, or 4 years, and replace the tires one or more times. you MUST return it with the same make/model tires that you got it as new? What if those tires are discontinued? Like I said, I have no leasing experience, but I find this hard to believe.

I've never leased a car before, but really? If you lease a car for 2, 3, or 4 years, and replace the tires one or more times. you MUST return it with the same make/model tires that you got it as new? What if those tires are discontinued? Like I said, I have no leasing experience, but I find this hard to believe.

Sorry. I misread the original quote. In my experience (about 4 leases - non-Tesla vehicles), the tires DO NOT matter. As long as they are in decent shape when you return the car they can be any brand. Sorry about the confusion.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hear me out and let me know if this is a good idea.

1) Wait for OEM tires to wear out.
2) Replace with 3rd party tires.
3) Wait for them to wear out and replace accordingly.
4) In the last 9 months of my lease, replace the 3rd party ones with OEM before returning the car.

It doesn't matter what kind of tire you have on when you turn in the lease, as long as they are serviceable.

It doesn't matter what kind of tire you have on when you turn in the lease, as long as they are serviceable.

Really? I find that hard to believe(without being rude). What if just before the lease ends (and my OEM tires are bald), I replace it with shitty tires (like $100 a piece). I am pretty sure they won't accept it.

Quoting sample Tesla lease agreement "The charge for excess wear will be our estimated or actual cost of repairing wear beyond that reasonably expected with ordinary, everyday use and maintenance according to this lease. It includes: (i) parts, accessories and vehicle specifications present in or on the vehicle or provided at delivery being incomplete, modified or replaced with items of inferior quality or design".

Granted, Tesla is a unique company and may have unique lease requirements, but I've leased several cars in the past from other companies, and at turn-in, they just checked the tread depth. They were more concerned about excessive wear and tear (body damage, stains, cracked glass, tears in upholstery, etc.) that they would most definitely charge you for.

The vehicles I turned-in usually went to auction so they didn't really care (for a traditional dealer), but as I'm typing this, now I'm not so sure this would apply to Tesla.

Is there anyone out there with a current (or recently ended) lease that could weigh in? I'm planning on leasing as well, so this would be good to know.

Thanks for bringing this up, gaurav91pandey.

Reactions: gaurav91pandey
What if just before the lease ends (and my OEM tires are bald), I replace it with shitty tires (like $100 a piece). I am pretty sure they won't accept it.

Many years ago when I was younger (and more foolish), I only bought "shitty" tires because I didn't think it mattered. When I turned in my lease cars the dealers didn't care at all. They just checked the depth. Now, older and wiser, I only buy the best tires because I believe the tires are the most important part on the car - they're the only thing that actually contacts the road so they better have good contact.

From the beginning, Tesla has done things differently than normal car manufacturers. So, they may look at the brand and quality of the tires differently. However, I'm willing to bet a shiny nickel that they still don't really care about it other than the depth. They just pass the tires on to the next buyer.

I asked Tesla sales about replacement tires. They said, "In regards to the lease, the brand of tire does not affect the value. You can use any 19” tire on the standard wheels, I believe the Michelin Primacy – All weather are used from the factory."

Reactions: Chaz
I asked Tesla sales about replacement tires. They said, "In regards to the lease, the brand of tire does not affect the value. You can use any 19” tire on the standard wheels, I believe the Michelin Primacy – All weather are used from the factory."

Thanks @Soundchasr . They replied for standard wheels. It maybe the case that they require same tires for the 21 inch as they are of different quality. I

I initially ordered our P85D with the Cyclone 19s and all-season tires, because everyone on the forums scared me out of getting the 21 inch wheels. But shortly after I got the car I came across someone locally who was selling a set of brand new Turbine 21 inch wheels with ContiSilents from a recently-delivered new Tesla. So I swapped the 19 inch wheels/tires for a set of symmetrical (not staggered) 21 inch wheels and tires.

With ContiSilents I was pleasantly surprised that the 21 inch wheels are just as quiet (if not quieter), and I can't really tell any difference in the ride. I *can* tell that the handling has improved, and I absolutely love the looks of the 21 inch wheels. I've now got 10,000 miles on the 21 inch wheels and tires (had them rotated by the Tesla service center at 8000 miles when I had the Ludicrous upgrade done) and they're wearing very little -- and evenly. Despite being summer tires, I drove them all winter in the cold (but not in the snow -- got an SUV for that.) My non-staggered wheels that can be rotated, combined with dual motors, should allow the tires to last at least 20,000 miles.

So stop worrying and enjoy your new Tesla with 21 inch wheels.

Reactions: gaurav91pandey
You may already know this but summer tires shouldn't be used in the winter, not just because they're bad in the snow but because they're made of a different kind of rubber that hardens in the cold. It's very dangerous to use summer tires in the cold weather.

"As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures."

I initially ordered our P85D with the Cyclone 19s and all-season tires, because everyone on the forums scared me out of getting the 21 inch wheels. But shortly after I got the car I came across someone locally who was selling a set of brand new Turbine 21 inch wheels with ContiSilents from a recently-delivered new Tesla. So I swapped the 19 inch wheels/tires for a set of symmetrical (not staggered) 21 inch wheels and tires.

With ContiSilents I was pleasantly surprised that the 21 inch wheels are just as quiet (if not quieter), and I can't really tell any difference in the ride. I *can* tell that the handling has improved, and I absolutely love the looks of the 21 inch wheels. I've now got 10,000 miles on the 21 inch wheels and tires (had them rotated by the Tesla service center at 8000 miles when I had the Ludicrous upgrade done) and they're wearing very little -- and evenly. Despite being summer tires, I drove them all winter in the cold (but not in the snow -- got an SUV for that.) My non-staggered wheels that can be rotated, combined with dual motors, should allow the tires to last at least 20,000 miles.

So stop worrying and enjoy your new Tesla with 21 inch wheels.
Wow! Awesome! Thanks for the good news!