Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I see one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Frank99

April 2018 Model 3 LR RWD, EAP, FSD
Apr 7, 2016
Arizona
Man I hate to say anything 'cause I've got no pictures.

While driving into work this morning in Phoenix I saw a glossy black Tesla getting off the freeway three lanes over...

It wasn't an S, because it was too tall for it's width to be an S. It had more of the shape of an X in that regard, but seemed narrower and smaller when compared with the cars around it. I tried to look for door handle shapes, but all I could see were the roofs of the cars between me and it. It wasn't the black 3 from the reveal unless they've repainted it in gloss (or stripped the matte wrap).

I only got about 4 seconds of viewing time, but it gave me a shot of adrenaline. I know it's likely that I misidentified an X, but it was still a bit of excitement in my otherwise drab existence...

Faraday Future?

faraday_004.jpg

Tesla cars are fascinating in that they're huge, but appear smaller. Not sure what geometric eyeball tricks are afoot, but it's probably got something to do with all the smooth, sloping, bulbous lines. Makes a giant package look compact.

So yeah, you probably saw an X.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it probably wasn't a 3, but I'm still jazzed about the thought...

I see half a dozen Tesla's every morning and evening during my commute (as they're whizzing by me in the HOV lane), so I'm fairly familiar with the rear contours (about all I got to see), but this one was...different.

I've wondered about the "disguised as a model S" thing; just think of everything you'd have to change - you'd have to increase the track and wheelbase of the 3 to use the sheetmetal off the S, otherwise the wheels would be in the wrong place and be an obvious giveaway. Depending on how you did this it would either completely change the handling or require a new skateboard - both of which would reduce the information you'd gather from the on-road testing that you're doing. Assuming that the skateboard stays the same, you'd have to use modified sheetmetal with an S profile - but there's really not that much difference in profile between the two cars other than size, so the modified sheetmetal would look an awful lot like the Model 3 sheetmetal. And having different sheetmetal would eliminate a lot of the rattle and squeak information that you'd get from on-the-road testing.

I think that "disguised as a model S" is going to turn out to mean Model 3's with Model S badging. I think there's going to be a lot of "disguised as a model S" testing going on using the model 3 drivetrain and batteries installed in a real S body and modified S skateboard so that you'd never know (and those kinds of mules were probably driving around Phoenix this summer for testing, and will be driving around Tahoe this winter). But I think that, shortly, "disguised" cars with Model 3 skateboards and Model 3 wheels and Model 3 sheetmetal and Model 3 glass and Model 3 interior are going to be driving around, but they're going to say "Model S 75" on the butt. In a picture taken on the freeway with no size references, it's going to be hard to tell them from an S, other than the fanatics here who'll point out the shape of the door handles, or the width of the sheetmetal between the front tire and the door jamb, to differentiate them.

My coworker who has family up near the Fremont plant said he has seen several 3's out and about including a white one, which would not be one of the prototypes from the reveal. I instructed him to GET PHOTOS next time he is up there. :rolleyes:

He says the flat nose looks better in person than it does in photos

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it probably wasn't a 3, but I'm still jazzed about the thought...

I see half a dozen Tesla's every morning and evening during my commute (as they're whizzing by me in the HOV lane), so I'm fairly familiar with the rear contours (about all I got to see), but this one was...different.

I've wondered about the "disguised as a model S" thing; just think of everything you'd have to change - you'd have to increase the track and wheelbase of the 3 to use the sheetmetal off the S, otherwise the wheels would be in the wrong place and be an obvious giveaway. Depending on how you did this it would either completely change the handling or require a new skateboard - both of which would reduce the information you'd gather from the on-road testing that you're doing. Assuming that the skateboard stays the same, you'd have to use modified sheetmetal with an S profile - but there's really not that much difference in profile between the two cars other than size, so the modified sheetmetal would look an awful lot like the Model 3 sheetmetal. And having different sheetmetal would eliminate a lot of the rattle and squeak information that you'd get from on-the-road testing.

I think that "disguised as a model S" is going to turn out to mean Model 3's with Model S badging. I think there's going to be a lot of "disguised as a model S" testing going on using the model 3 drivetrain and batteries installed in a real S body and modified S skateboard so that you'd never know (and those kinds of mules were probably driving around Phoenix this summer for testing, and will be driving around Tahoe this winter). But I think that, shortly, "disguised" cars with Model 3 skateboards and Model 3 wheels and Model 3 sheetmetal and Model 3 glass and Model 3 interior are going to be driving around, but they're going to say "Model S 75" on the butt. In a picture taken on the freeway with no size references, it's going to be hard to tell them from an S, other than the fanatics here who'll point out the shape of the door handles, or the width of the sheetmetal between the front tire and the door jamb, to differentiate them.

I can't see Tesla wasting time/$ on trying to hide the 3 or make it fit inside an S frame. That makes no sense except for electronics maybe, and why do that? That can be done in a S or X. They need to put miles on the actual frame/body to see how it handles/performs, what may prematurely fail/wear out, squeaks/rattles, and on and on. You can't do any of that putting the guts of a 3 inside another frame. They have many 3's probably on the road or on test tracks away from prying eyes. It is too late in the game to be playing hide and peek...:confused:

I can't see Tesla wasting time/$ on trying to hide the 3 or make it fit inside an S frame. That makes no sense except for electronics maybe, and why do that? That can be done in a S or X. They need to put miles on the actual frame/body to see how it handles/performs, what may prematurely fail/wear out, squeaks/rattles, and on and on. You can't do any of that putting the guts of a 3 inside another frame. They have many 3's probably on the road or on test tracks away from prying eyes. It is too late in the game to be playing hide and peek...:confused:
A valid point. What I heard might have been gossip here, I don't know.

That said, I think there is value in a disguise for a highly anticipated car so as not to attract unwanted attention while the driver clearly wants to remain anonymous in order to perform their testing in a "normal" situation. So maybe it won't look exactly like a Model S, but it may be enough that all but the most enthusiastic fanbois wouldn't give it a second glance.

A valid point. What I heard might have been gossip here, I don't know.

That said, I think there is value in a disguise for a highly anticipated car so as not to attract unwanted attention while the driver clearly wants to remain anonymous in order to perform their testing in a "normal" situation. So maybe it won't look exactly like a Model S, but it may be enough that all but the most enthusiastic fanbois wouldn't give it a second glance.

I think many auto manufacturers do disguises early on especially before the car has been publicly unveiled. Since the 3 has had a public unveiling, I doubt they are doing anything to hide. Slapping on some weird body panels is always a possibility, but unless they cover the nose, just about any Tesla aware person would know.

I can't see Tesla wasting time/$ on trying to hide the 3 or make it fit inside an S frame.
You are right that there is no reason to put the hole of the Model 3 inside a Model S, but it is reasonable to test some subsystems "hidden" in a Model S. Like the motors, inverters and battery. Or as you say some of the electronic/displays and so on. But not when they want to test out a complete Model 3 frame and/or bodyworks/interior.