Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla just raise the price of Pearl White and Red again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love it!! Double the price. Really helps to have an incoming vehicle that is appreciating and if your a line/ reservation holder and find yourself stagnate and on the fence at this point. Yes, this hurts as any advantage you thought you had has perceptibly evaporated. Tesla has a hit in the model 3 and will maximize that to short term profitability.

Have to say, I am glad that i ordered when I did. just like most who ordered, i save $1k on AWD and $500 on paint, as well as $100ish a year for service and $200 for destination fees. But I do feel bad for those who were thinking of ordering and did not. Like above posters said, likely they can make enough cars, so they are increasing price, supply and demand curve. All those short shorts, who said why cars are in the parking lots... no demand. haha

The Dual Motor option appears to be $5K. Is that an increase?

When Dual Motor first came out it was $5K, but then it got changed to $4K. I think a lot of people were upset because Elon specifically said it would be less than $5K.

So that one I can understand.

I really don't understand charging extra for color. Why is the white interior more when it's the same material? The different car colors don't have that big of a different cost wise in terms of paint/process/etc.

That little move might have be the straw that broke this camel’s back. I have reconciled paying up for the AWD to get the privilege of paying $1500 for a white interior. The overnight addition of +$500/paint and + $1000 without any additional features included is beyond my pain threshold. We have our 2015 S and 2013 Pilot. The Pilot was going to be replaced with the 3 and then we were going to replace the S with a Y. Thinking now we will just keep the S and wait for the Y. Maybe the tax credit will get altered...ha..who I’m kidding?

I love it!! Double the price. Really helps to have an incoming vehicle that is appreciating and if your a line/ reservation holder and find yourself stagnate and on the fence at this point. Yes, this hurts as any advantage you thought you had has perceptibly evaporated. Tesla has a hit in the model 3 and will maximize that to short term profitability.

That's pretty much the game Tesla plays.

They do short term "levers" to get people to buy, and then change things to cool it off. So if you're buying it almost becomes like buying an airline ticket. Where you track the changes, and buy when it makes sense.

To say it can be a really frustrating car to buy is an understatement. I don't think Tesla is calculating the cost in terms of buyer loyalty. It's hard to be loyal to someone constantly changing pricing.

I placed my order on July 31st because of a lever. That lever was free unlimited supercharging for the P3D. The Tesla referral website said it was the last day to get it without a referral so it pushed me off the fence. I was already teetering because of the whole tax credit thing, and some other stuff. I wanted to wait (to see if EAP would actually get released in Sep). I thought I could change from the P3D to the AWD only (as I was kinda undecided), but now the savings is $1K less.

This got me thinking - I have yet to see a single black M3 in person. I've seen white, blue, MSM, red, and silver. Seems most people do not want black and are willing to pay for it. If they offered base white, they'd lose $1k/car.

I really don't understand charging extra for color. Why is the white interior more when it's the same material? The different car colors don't have that big of a different cost wise in terms of paint/process/etc.

Demand.

This got me thinking - I have yet to see a single black M3 in person. I've seen white, blue, MSM, red, and silver. Seems most people do not want black and are willing to pay for it. If they offered base white, they'd lose $1k/car.

Demand.

My friend got a black one, looks great with the aero wheels. I just can't do black as I live a little more out in the country and it would be only hours before dust would be all over it.

All the colors except for black went up not just pearl white and red.

Last edited:
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
That's pretty much the game Tesla plays.

They do short term "levers" to get people to buy, and then change things to cool it off. So if you're buying it almost becomes like buying an airline ticket. Where you track the changes, and buy when it makes sense.

To say it can be a really frustrating car to buy is an understatement. I don't think Tesla is calculating the cost in terms of buyer loyalty. It's hard to be loyal to someone constantly changing pricing.

I placed my order on July 31st because of a lever. That lever was free unlimited supercharging for the P3D. The Tesla referral website said it was the last day to get it without a referral so it pushed me off the fence. I was already teetering because of the whole tax credit thing, and some other stuff. I wanted to wait (to see if EAP would actually get released in Sep). I thought I could change from the P3D to the AWD only (as I was kinda undecided), but now the savings is $1K less.

Tesla tends to perfect market price points within the evolution of various models. Recently happened with both the S and X in standardization of feature sets.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Demand.
LOL... This is gonna sound funny because of the heat but go down to Florida. There were more black Model 3's among the 36 there on the lot than any other color last week in Jacksonville.

This really makes me upset. I am a reservation holder and was just contemplating on placing my order in the next week or two but am having to look seriously at my budget. They should have given some warning before raising these prices. I hate to settle for black and even doing that would still cost 200 extra for delivery. It all adds up for a middle class family. My wife is trying to get me to give up on my 3 and look at a Clarity phev .
Clarity? Lol