Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla just raise the price of Pearl White and Red again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your taking an AWD model for a test drive, especially performance, you will not be disappointed. It will make the extra $700 seem like it's worth it. Over the life of the loan, it's not much. Or you could just wait like @Ingham said and wait a few years for the smoke and mirrors to stop...

This is the line most often heard at the, uh, "stealerships" by their salesmen.

Really not that important. Most of the new so called safety features don't make any difference to a good driver that pays attention and doesn't text while driving. I use my mirrors, shoulder check, don't tailgate and pay attention.

Do you own a Tesla with EAP? I just want to understand your reference points.

I think one of my very first posts on TMC was something along the lines of not seeing the point of autopilot. I'm a better driver than AP (still am), I prefer driving my own cars (most of the time, especially now with a PM3) but as I got more experience, I had to re-evaluate my stance on things.

Anyone can argue any amount of scenarios they want but the best way to sum things up is like this:

Man > Machine
Man + Machine > Man OR Machine

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and ksb467
If these pricing changes makes it difficult for you to afford the M3 in its current configuration, you should seriously reconsider your financial situation. Most people in the market for a car in the mid 50s to 60s can absorb a 1-2k fluctuation. If you can’t then you can’t afford this car. Especially given there is no guarantee that a car ordered today will be delivered before 12/31 when the tax credit starts to phase out — and the M3 becomes even more expensive.

It wasn't just the budget concerns. I have been trying to convince my wife the car is worth it and we can use the tax credit. The other thing is I am torn between 2 colors: the midnight silver metallic or
If these pricing changes makes it difficult for you to afford the M3 in its current configuration, you should seriously reconsider your financial situation. Most people in the market for a car in the mid 50s to 60s can absorb a 1-2k fluctuation. If you can’t then you can’t afford this car. Especially given there is no guarantee that a car ordered today will be delivered before 12/31 when the tax credit starts to phase out — and the M3 becomes even more expensive.

It wasn't just the budget. I've got an extra 700, but don't like to spend it for no extra benefit. Also, I've been trying to talk my wife into the car and that it's the future, that it should hold its value way better than our leaf and be worth the money. It's ultimately up to me but I want her on board and happy. This change didn't help my case. My other considerations are that I have a cmax energi with a lease that isn't up until Feb and I didn't want to have a huge overlap by ordering early. I do need the tax credit and am trying to time an order well.

The other rediculous problem is I'm torn between midnight silver metallic or deep blue metallic.

It wasn't just the budget concerns. I have been trying to convince my wife the car is worth it and we can use the tax credit. The other thing is I am torn between 2 colors: the midnight silver metallic or

It wasn't just the budget. I've got an extra 700, but don't like to spend it for no extra benefit. Also, I've been trying to talk my wife into the car and that it's the future, that it should hold its value way better than our leaf and be worth the money. It's ultimately up to me but I want her on board and happy. This change didn't help my case. My other considerations are that I have a cmax energi with a lease that isn't up until Feb and I didn't want to have a huge overlap by ordering early. I do need the tax credit and am trying to time an order well.

The other rediculous problem is I'm torn between midnight silver metallic or deep blue metallic.

MSM for me but hear blue and red and the most ordered colors. Not sure if that is true

Real-world price.
Range.
Servicing.
Efficiency.
Cargo shape space.
Ergonomics.
You have a very strange list of things you want and don't want in a car. Nonetheless, the model 3 beats the competition on most of these things. I'm sure there are a few oddballs out there like you, but for more people, the competitors are selling vastly inferior cars.

I suppose this will become the iOS vs Android debate over time.

You have a very strange list of things you want and don't want in a car. Nonetheless, the model 3 beats the competition on most of these things. I'm sure there are a few oddballs out there like you, but for more people, the competitors are selling vastly inferior cars.

I suppose this will become the iOS vs Android debate over time.

Sounds like fanboy speak but Tesla has no substitutes. Not even the closest stretch of the imagination if long distance ev travel is any factor.

If I don’t mind driving slow ugly cockroaches on wheels, why bother with the expense of a Model 3 when BMW is giving out i3s?

They'd never do that. It'd total the range.

Also, to everyone who thinks that "their particular choice of option" is a must-have for everyone: it's not. Non-black paint? Not a must-have. EAP? Not a must-have. The base model remains the base model. Of course you can option it up, but that's the exact same story with all cars - very few sell at their MSRP. Yeah, Tesla is more options-heavy than average, but that doesn't change the overall picture.

Heck, I'm buying a LR AWD PUP, with - if available at the time - air suspension and tow hitch. But it'll be black and not have EAP. Everyone's priorities and budgets are different.
Karen, totally unrelated to the topic, my wife and I just returned from Iceland last week. Absolutely gorgeous country! During our week there we saw 3 Teslas, all of them a Model S. We kept asking ourselves what do owners do if they have a service issue with no SC available? We also wondered if people moved from other countries with their cars or did they have new cars shipped there?

The bolt, Kia, and leaf are not even close to being competition for the model 3. I’m not sure why anyone would chose those cars over model 3 other than instant availability.

Your statement is self-defeating - if those vehicles aren't competition for the M3, then people choosing them weren't going to buy the M3 in the first place.

Have you looked into the Leaf? You can buy a very well equipped one for $37K. It'll have a version of autopilot, leather, CarPlay, heated everything, etc. It's a hatchback, meaning way more cargo space. The $35K M3 won't have that stuff. Yeah, the Leaf will have a 140 mile range vs 220, but is that really much of a limitation? Are people really going to take the SR M3 on long road trips? Maybe a few, but for the bunch that don't, it's a non-issue. You'll also get a car from a company that has been making mass market EVs for 8 years, makes a few million cars a year, and has a strong reputation for reliability. Pretty easy to see why someone would buy a Leaf. That said, the Leaf is really nothing like a $60K upgraded LR AWD M3, which is why I'm still driving a 13 year old Toyota and have plunked down $3,500 to wait for a car I've never driven rather than owning a Leaf now. :)

Your statement is self-defeating - if those vehicles aren't competition for the M3, then people choosing them weren't going to buy the M3 in the first place.

Have you looked into the Leaf? You can buy a very well equipped one for $37K. It'll have a version of autopilot, leather, CarPlay, heated everything, etc. It's a hatchback, meaning way more cargo space. The $35K M3 won't have that stuff. Yeah, the Leaf will have a 140 mile range vs 220, but is that really much of a limitation? Are people really going to take the SR M3 on long road trips? Maybe a few, but for the bunch that don't, it's a non-issue. You'll also get a car from a company that has been making mass market EVs for 8 years, makes a few million cars a year, and has a strong reputation for reliability. Pretty easy to see why someone would buy a Leaf. That said, the Leaf is really nothing like a $60K upgraded LR AWD M3, which is why I'm still driving a 13 year old Toyota and have plunked down $3,500 to wait for a car I've never driven rather than owning a Leaf now. :)
Don't underestimate the importance of breaking the 200 mile barrier. In my book that's the point in which I can drive normally, in the winter, with the heat on, only charging to 80%, and not worry about range.

...then they gave the tax credit to those who probably didn't need it...

Tesla didn't "give" the tax credit to anybody. It is offered by the federal government, and is controlled by that government. The fact that the phase-out timing works against Tesla's timeline for ramping up the Model 3 and getting the price down is completely on the federal government. You want it extended (something Tesla helped do, even though they had no obligation to), go talk to your representatives.

Last edited:
Many people have no use for EAP. I would rather them strip the EAP hardware from the car and lower the price.
It's a calculated risk. The current owner or a future owner may very well pay Tesla to add EAP. So Tesla sees it being worth the financial hit to potentially increase sales on the back-end. Removing the hardware wouldn't necessarily reduce the price of the car... because that potentially hurts Tesla's bottom line in the long run.

My feelings exactly.
I got so sick of the waiting and Tesla's antics that I ordered an e-Golf a couple of weeks ago. I still keep my day one reservation for the time being, but whether I go through with the order in 2019 (because it won't become available here any earlier) will depend on the final European pricing they announce. If my configuration turns out to be beyond my budget after all, even though Tesla made it seem for years that the Model 3 would be affordable, then I will simply cancel and give my money to the competition. If they don't want or need my business, fine, let them suit themselves. Otoh, if too many people, especially outside the US, will feel and act the same way, Tesla might notice - and regret their decisions - in the end.
Well I had my test drive yesterday - of course in the RWD Premium interior and LRBattery - Love the car, the huge selling point for me is the interior styling - love the clean, uncluttered dash and great visibility. I am "petite" (yes short!) and often feel like I am sitting in a well. this car had me in the perfect position with great visibility! very comfortable, lovely performance, love the cameras so you can see what is going on around you, even tried the auto pilot (bit scarey!). I just couldn't bear to buy another traditional car - all dial and buttons and obstructions. If ONLY the LRB wasnt so expensive an option... and someone knew if heated front seats came in standard interior ... I am now sold on the car - I will try to wait it out until we know when SR battery will truely be available ... then I will pull the trigger! Thanks for all your posts and comments its nice not to feel alone in my frustration. I know it is not fair as they did push everything up several years but not know the options makes it hard to justify the wait.

Reactions: ℬête Noire