Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla just raise the price of Pearl White and Red again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't the 35k model basically still a 35k model?

RWD/SR - No EAP.... No FSD.... No PUP.... Outside of the $200 added fee, it's still basically 35K...

Am I wrong?

Technically sure. But now paint is $1500-2000 on top of that and doc and service fees are $1200. I believe both of these prices are higher than normal and make it just that much more expensive for those trying to jump in.

If these pricing changes makes it difficult for you to afford the M3 in its current configuration, you should seriously reconsider your financial situation. Most people in the market for a car in the mid 50s to 60s can absorb a 1-2k fluctuation. If you can’t then you can’t afford this car. Especially given there is no guarantee that a car ordered today will be delivered before 12/31 when the tax credit starts to phase out — and the M3 becomes even more expensive.

No offense, but this statement doesn't reflect the thoughts of an individual who values and manages money very well. A dollar is a dollar. I work hard for my money. Compounding interest is the most powerful force when it comes to money management. People have a right to be peeved about a $1000 increase for PAINT. Whenever I hear someone state, especially in the context of large purchases like a house or car, "what's another $1k in the grand scheme of things" I cringe.

At the end of the day market forces are still in play. Telsa have every right to charge what the market will bear. Revenue builds one sale at a time and I suspect that many will see this as move to recapture a higher % of the the federal rebate for themselves. To each his own.

Reactions: adaptabl
Seems like dynamic pricing going on here. Listened to the earning call, and it seems like increasing prices on options will make the 35k variant more likely. I am one of the few on the forum, maybe the remaining bulk of perspective buyers, who simply into the Model 3 for the Tesla badge, EAP and the Supercharger network. I do wonder what the 35k configuration will be... (though my price target hovers at ~40k). Perhaps the front motor from the AWD will be swapped into the 35k variant. Don't tell me they might let the 35k be a front wheel drive with the rear motor removed/disabled. On this note, I would not mind paying an extra $1000 for a long-range disabled first production, and paying for the unlocking the long-range battery for the future. I am not planning to take a loan and wish to stay out of debt. I can cash flow the upgrade in the future.

Seems like dynamic pricing going on here. Listened to the earning call, and it seems like increasing prices on options will make the 35k variant more likely. I am one of the few on the forum, maybe the remaining bulk of perspective buyers, who simply into the Model 3 for the Tesla badge, EAP and the Supercharger network. I do wonder what the 35k configuration will be... (though my price target hovers at ~40k). Perhaps the front motor from the AWD will be swapped into the 35k variant. Don't tell me they might let the 35k be a front wheel drive with the rear motor removed/disabled. On this note, I would not mind paying an extra $1000 for a long-range disabled first production, and paying for the unlocking the long-range battery for the future. I am not planning to take a loan and wish to stay out of debt. I can cash flow the upgrade in the future.

They'd never do that. It'd total the range.

Also, to everyone who thinks that "their particular choice of option" is a must-have for everyone: it's not. Non-black paint? Not a must-have. EAP? Not a must-have. The base model remains the base model. Of course you can option it up, but that's the exact same story with all cars - very few sell at their MSRP. Yeah, Tesla is more options-heavy than average, but that doesn't change the overall picture.

Heck, I'm buying a LR AWD PUP, with - if available at the time - air suspension and tow hitch. But it'll be black and not have EAP. Everyone's priorities and budgets are different.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Regardless of how Tesla got here, competition at the Model 3's original pricepoint is coming. The Bolt is here. Leaf with active thermal management, Kona, and Kia Niro EVs are coming soon. They won't be available in huge quantities, but limited quantities is still better than the vaporware status of the $35K Model 3 for those who don't want to wait. Kona and Niro will get the full tax credit. GM's is phasing out soon.
The bolt, Kia, and leaf are not even close to being competition for the model 3. I’m not sure why anyone would chose those cars over model 3 other than instant availability.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I would raise it to 40K and make EAP standard.

It’s common sense but maybe not common sense that uptake of EAP is higher on a AWD, LR, PUP M3 than a SR Model 3.

This would make it more palatable to Tesla to make that second battery line.
This will be a good way for Tesla to prioritize US/CN orders for the SR...buyers who hand Tesla the pure-margin EAP option atop their base SR move to the front of the SR US/CN line (regardless of reservation date). It'll be interesting to see if Tesla first delivers SRs just within CA, or if there's really nothing to troubleshoot about the $35k SR which warrants local deliveries first. Metal roof could be a good reason to keep initial builds of SR close to Fremont though, I suppose.

That said, no chance Tesla chooses not to sell a $35k SR, at least for a little while. The PR backlash would not be worth raising the price even to $35,001. I suspect $35k SR will exist only as long as existing reservations take to fulfill, and maybe just maybe for a short time they will open up a $35k for new reservations (but I doubt it...no obligation to do so).

This will be a good way for Tesla to prioritize US/CN orders for the SR...buyers who hand Tesla the pure-margin EAP option atop their base SR move to the front of the SR US/CN line (regardless of reservation date). It'll be interesting to see if Tesla first delivers SRs just within CA, or if there's really nothing to troubleshoot about the $35k SR which warrants local deliveries first. Metal roof could be a good reason to keep initial builds of SR close to Fremont though, I suppose.

That said, no chance Tesla chooses not to sell a $35k SR, at least for a little while. The PR backlash would not be worth raising the price even to $35,001. I suspect $35k SR will exist only as long as existing reservations take to fulfill, and maybe just maybe for a short time they will open up a $35k for new reservations (but I doubt it...no obligation to do so).

Good analysis. I'll add more thoughts.

Truthfully, Tesla can just kick the can down the road forever on the $35K because they can just ship LR+ to the rest of the world which has ridiculous pent up demand.

Tesla in 1H2019 is going to announce 1 config of the international Model 3. P Model, P Option. When the first year demand is going to be in the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, why mess with a new body, new battery pack, new interior. This screams nothing but RISK RISK RISK RISK - for LESS MONEY?

I'm not trying to upset SR holdouts in anyway - I'm an economist - I just have to look at what makes sense.

The value play for SR holdouts should be:

Absolute cost is a concern:
LR Model 3 before end of year for max tax credit. OR Used LR Model 3 from someone trading up before end of year.

Best 'value' to those who can stretch.
Dual Motor Model 3. $5000 for dual motor and 1 second reduction in 0-60 is a steal. It was a super steal at $4,000. $5,000 is just a regular steal. Watch Tesla creep this up to $5,500 or $6,000 if production exhausts $2,500 deposits.

As we get closer to the the end of the year and demand outstrips supply.. I expect prices to go up.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Good analysis. I'll add more thoughts.

Truthfully, Tesla can just kick the can down the road forever on the $35K because they can just ship LR+ to the rest of the world which has ridiculous pent up demand.

Tesla in 1H2019 is going to announce 1 config of the international Model 3. P Model, P Option. When the first year demand is going to be in the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, why mess with a new body, new battery pack, new interior. This screams nothing but RISK RISK RISK RISK - for LESS MONEY?

I'm not trying to upset SR holdouts in anyway - I'm an economist - I just have to look at what makes sense.

The value play for SR holdouts should be:

Absolute cost is a concern:
LR Model 3 before end of year for max tax credit. OR Used LR Model 3 from someone trading up before end of year.

Best 'value' to those who can stretch.
Dual Motor Model 3. $5000 for dual motor and 1 second reduction in 0-60 is a steal. It was a super steal at $4,000. $5,000 is just a regular steal. Watch Tesla creep this up to $5,500 or $6,000 if production exhausts $2,500 deposits.

As we get closer to the the end of the year and demand outstrips supply.. I expect prices to go up.
Really interesting thoughts, in terms of when the $35k SR will be made available. I've been expecting to see it hit the US in 4Q18 in order to get as much wealth transfer from the US govt to Tesla owners as possible before $7500 becomes $3750. But the price increase on AWD last night indicates that demand is higher than expected and there's no point selling any more underpriced AWDs in the US than necessary. And if AWD demand is higher than expected, it indicates that what I thought would be production capacity for US SR deliveries in 4Q18 is more likely to be consumed by US/CN AWD deliveries for the foreseeable future. Now, can there be enough motors produced to fulfill 2H18 US/CN AWD demand? Another question entirely!

Prices rising further? Makes sense to me.
Keeping the mfg line as simple as possible for as long as possible? Makes sense to me (including throwing in the glass roof on $35k SRs eventually...so that there is never a metal-roofed Model 3 ever made).

Most of that EAP hardware also necessary for Side Collision Warning and other safety features that are included in EVERY Model 3. You don't want that?

Really not that important. Most of the new so called safety features don't make any difference to a good driver that pays attention and doesn't text while driving. I use my mirrors, shoulder check, don't tailgate and pay attention.

Last edited:
Anyone with information on Tesla's order change process?

Yesterday I contacted Tesla to add EAP to my 6/29 order of AWD Blue Aero M3 (No Vin; no edit button). I replied to the emailed form at 12:30PM yesterday. As of now, my order summary stands unchanged. I did not know about new prices.

Am I going to have to pay the new prices for Blue and AWD? I wanted red, but didn't want to pay the extra 500 at end of June so I settled on blue, and certainly don't want to pay extra 1700 now.

Anyone with information on Tesla's order change process?

Yesterday I contacted Tesla to add EAP to my 6/29 order of AWD Blue Aero M3 (No Vin; no edit button). I replied to the emailed form at 12:30PM yesterday. As of now, my order summary stands unchanged. I did not know about new prices.

Am I going to have to pay the new prices for Blue and AWD? I wanted red, but didn't want to pay the extra 500 at end of June so I settled on blue, and certainly don't want to pay extra 1700 now.

You’re in Fremont? I’d drive over and ask them in person! :D

• Funny
Reactions: Mom of 3
The bolt, Kia, and leaf are not even close to being competition for the model 3. I’m not sure why anyone would chose those cars over model 3 other than instant availability.

Real-world price.
Range.
Servicing.
Efficiency.
Cargo shape space.
Ergonomics.

I don't care about performance.
I don't care about aesthetics.
I don't care about image.
I don't want oversized, overpriced 18" wheels, let alone 19" wheels.
I don't want a "premium" vehicle.
I live in a state where Tesla doesn't even have a service center.
They'd want me to pay for it before I see it.
I might never drive it beyond range so I might only use the Supercharger network to test that it works.

The only reason I want a Tesla is because Tesla actually wants to sell lots of electric vehicles _right_ _now_ and in the future and is working to make it happen, rather than being dragged along by force.

Reactions: Need and ChrisH