Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't necessarily disagree with everything you posted here. But if you get in the car on a hot summer day and it's already cooled down, is there a need to point a stream of cold air at your face? When I walk into my air conditioned house after working in the yard, I don't go lay down on one of the air vents...

Also, there's been no confirmation that there aren't directional air vents. They could be hidden in the seam of the dash somewhere.

The vent slit is a little too far to safely reach while driving, no? You could probably reach it but you'll need to lean and stretch forward a bit, i think, at least, based on photos.

That doesn't seem safe. Nor would i expect some electromechanical device to assist them via the center display.

Odds are very high they're not directional, imo.

I always laugh when I see someone talk about BMW's screens and all I can think is how it looks tacked on. I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned over flexing with the Model 3's screen as well, but not so concerned with the comparison between BMW's and Tesla's styling. Many people consider BMW's to be stark as well, but I do feel that Tesla has a clean design. I would like to have seen a couple more switches for things like the sunroof, and maybe even something like an iDrive but after a year I've found the steering wheel controls make up for those concerns for the most part. God help us if we get to gesture controls.

I would like to have Tesla come out with seats that provide thigh adjustment and shoulder adjustment like BMW's Comfort Seats but I was surprised that I found the new Volvo V90's seats felt harder (loved the one's in the older V70). I wish Tesla hadn't gotten rid of the ventilated seats either. 2 other things I wish Tesla would add as options are retractable screens for the pano roof and the side windows.

The vent slit is a little too far to safely reach while driving, no? You could probably reach it but you'll need to lean and stretch forward a bit, i think, at least, based on photos.

That doesn't seem safe. Nor would i expect some electromechanical device to assist them via the center display.

I would tend to agree that they're probably not directional based on the very little information we have (mainly a couple of grainy spy shots through a window), but I'm not about to say they're too far away to reach without sitting in it for myself. I'm putting it in the "wait and see, not a big deal either way" column.

I would tend to agree that they're probably not directional based on the very little information we have (mainly a couple of grainy spy shots through a window), but I'm not about to say they're too far away to reach without sitting in it for myself. I'm putting it in the "wait and see, not a big deal either way" column.

They're what, maybe 6" past where the steering column meets the dashboard?

I said you can likely reach them but not without likely having to lean/stretch forward. How many people easily reach that far behind their steering wheel without having to move forward in their seat?

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK

Yeah from the pictures, unless they are very well hidden, I don't see physical levers to adjust the direction. So unlikely it's physical.

However, I wouldn't write off them being electromechanical. This can be controlled via the display or one of the steering controls. If it's the display it's less practical, but still usable (just have to adjust them correctly before driving off). The biggest barrier to that would be cost, not necessarily usability.

Reactions: Matias
Yeah from the pictures, unless they are very well hidden, I don't see physical levers to adjust the direction. So unlikely it's physical.

However, I wouldn't write off them being electromechanical. This can be controlled via the display or one of the steering controls. If it's the display it's less practical, but still usable (just have to adjust them correctly before driving off). The biggest barrier to that would be cost, not necessarily usability.

Well the cost and simplicity of production, etc is why i don't expect them to be directional.

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK
Sorry to awaken the fanboys, but the cost cutting euphemisms are becoming tedious. The average price of a Model 3 will be upwards of $45,000, and it will go up another $7,500 when the tax credits go away. That won't be long after the Model 3 hits the streets. So we're talking about $50,000+ automobiles. One would hope Tesla could have splurged a bit and not tried to replicate the interior of a 1960's era VW Beetle in the name of "simplicity."

Sorry to awaken the fanboys, but the cost cutting euphemisms are becoming tedious. The average price of a Model 3 will be upwards of $45,000, and it will go up another $7,500 when the tax credits go away. That won't be long after the Model 3 hits the streets. So we're talking about $50,000+ automobiles. One would hope Tesla could have splurged a bit and not tried to replicate the interior of a 1960's era VW Beetle in the name of "simplicity."

I really doubt that cost is the only consideration with how the Model 3 interior is designed. They can always flip other price inelastic cost levers if Tesla really wants to force an extra 1-2k out of you to put in some gauges, button and knobs.

I wouldn't mind moving up in line for those of you who really really don't like it.

I already stepped out of line and cancelled. I was wrong. EM is really building a $35K econo-box and down selling the hell out of it. I'm used to upscale German marques. I'll wait for the I-Pace. It seems to be positioned as a more upscale offering.

We get it, you don't like the interior. Your incessant whining has gotten the point across. Thanks for the information.

Some people can not care about what you care about, and not be fanboys. Soooo, tired of fanboy being thrown out as a dismissal. That term should be treated similarly as "troll" on this forum.

I think you're going to be sorely disappointed in the price comparison with the Model 3, but thanks for moving me up a spot.

The tax credit will be there in some form for at least 100,000 Model 3s.

Not sure how you get from a base price of $27,500 after tax credits to $50k when they go away.

8 extra tires?

Reactions: tracksyde
So I know not every indicator is on at the same time but, 15" screen for speedometer, audio system, turn signals, lights, nav, battery condition, door ajar, trunk ajar, passenger side camera, backup camera, (these last two on our 2014 accord assume M3 will at least have that) and what's it look like with sun/glare. How about a left hander having to use their off hand to do some multiple step screen instructions. Ergonomics is not just about simplistic design.
These photos may be a false flag and production interior has yet to be seen.

The average price of a Model 3 will be upwards of $45,000, and it will go up another $7,500 when the tax credits go away. That won't be long after the Model 3 hits the streets. So we're talking about $50,000+ automobiles
Tesla is expecting an average sale price of around $42k and I could easily see early adopters pushing that number higher. However, the federal tax credit has no direct impact on the sale price of the vehicle in this case, only the net cost to the purchaser depending on their eligibility. The tax credit going away may increase the individual's net cost but it doesn't impact the selling price of the car. If anything, the credit going away may drop the average transaction price because people wouldn't be piling on as many options.

Good design makes the complex simple .....I have had my model S for about a week now and I don't want to drive my 4runner any more (it will be relegated to towing only) ...in some ways I think the model 3 with a single screen will be even more straightforward than the M S ( based on the PICS of the MULE they just need to integrate more seamlessly into the dash)

Again, lots of tech and less functionality in exchange for what exactly? Novelty and hype? If it ain't broke... And traditional air vents ain't broke.

The part that needed reinventing was the dirty ICE powertrain. Stick with that and stop trying to reinvent every wheel, which will shrink their potential customer base.