Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am totally ok with someone liking the display, I just don't like it. But I like the car and that should be a valid opinion too, right?

Maybe I misspoke when I meant "herd mentality", but I think cult just sounds too harsh and has been used too often by the anti-Tesla crowd. But it would describe the situation best. Why can't I just dislike a small part, without being accused of hating the whole car, brand and mother nature?
The difference is that for those who claim I am a member of the 'Cult of Tesla' or the 'Cult of Elon' or the 'Cult of EVs' I can turn that around and point out I must have joined when I was six years old -- when I got my first slot car racing set for Christmas, or possibly earlier -- when I got battery operated cars for my fourth birthday. Tesla wasn't founded for decades after that... Elon is four or five years younger than me, and lived around 10,000 miles away, so it isn't his fault. I simply realized as a young child, on my own, that electric cars were fundamentally 'BETTER'... And as much of a 'car guy' as I may be, no matter how much I admired the beauty and ingenuity that went into ICE products, I always wondered in the back of my mind... "Why isn't this an electric car?"

But when people speak of a 'herd mentality' or 'sheeples' or even 'minions' that gets on my everloving last friggin' nerve. Because that is absolutely inappropriate, highly inaccurate, and just plain INSULTING to my sensibilities. I haven't followed ANY crowd when it comes to my design sense. I don't care about fashion, or luxury, or heritage, or tradition, or any of the other marketing terms that are thrown about all the time. I don't need to be trendy, or show off my status, or climb the social ladder, or 'Keep Up with the Joneses' at all. I make a conscious effort to NEVER 'dress to impress' and I avoid velvet rope cover-charge-at-the-door establishments like the plague. I don't give a flaming fig about any of that stuff. I don't have to show off. All I have to do is show up. Because I'm just that damned awesome.

When it comes to ICE vehicles, I am pretty agnostic when it comes to the technology. I like what works. Doesn't matter if it is piston or Wankel or turbine based. Doesn't matter if it is normally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged, or squeezed.

I don't like ugly cars. I don't mind new cars that pay homage to older designs. But I absolutely despise designs that have remained stagnant over the course of multiple decades.

But upon realizing, thanks to Tesla, that all of the compromises, excuses, and 'reasons' why electric cars had not proliferated had been proven entirely wrong...? I am now firmly on the side of electric vehicles. I will never buy another ICE if there is a viable EV available to perform the same function. When someone creates a 100+ MPG, zero emission, 90% energy efficiency, high horsepower, instantaneous torque ICE...? THEN I'll happily applaud their efforts. But since that simply AIN'T gonna happen? EVER? Not even with a 600 cc 64-valve quad cam V16 with variable valve timing and lift -- I'm staying with EVs for good -- and not being part of any 'herd' whatsoever.

Oh... and the 'because Tesla' thing was also very, very, VERY infuriating. I almost didn't reply at all because of that single statement. Especially since no one I know of has ever used that as an argument in favor of the interior at all. Maybe, if I were the type of 'fanboi' so many have accused me of being for the last three years, I would stoop to such levels. But I never have. Not once. And I won't. Not ever. Not even in jest.

ICE cars will be the steam trains of the past. They've got way too many moving parts and fluids and gears and tubes and knobs. Tesla always has the future in mind. Even the new EVs coming out from Audi, BMW, Chevy, etc. are still stuck in the mindset of the past.

The same goes for the complicated interiors and interfaces of ICE cars, which are set in stone. Tesla can easily update any interface deficiency with a software update. All the controls are on 1 software screen. This is the future of adaptability and customization.

Reactions: Red Sage
Sandpiper said "Now, there's no reason for a car dash to be any more or less than a computer. It's the Apple design ethic; simple, clean, minimalist. Don't add any complexity that you don't need."

b39cb2b4a3a8a5e0b4916f97790211d5.jpg

Just like ICE cars used to be, speed, temperature, energy gauge turn indicators, thats about all you need, single layer no digging required.

Every thing has a resonant frequency, vibration in the case of the model 3, I hope Tesla have run their interface over various road conditions.

Attachments

• b39cb2b4a3a8a5e0b4916f97790211d5.jpg
    b39cb2b4a3a8a5e0b4916f97790211d5.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 37
The difference is that for those who claim I am a member of the 'Cult of Tesla' or the 'Cult of Elon' or the 'Cult of EVs' I can turn that around and point out I must have joined when I was six years old -- when I got my first slot car racing set for Christmas, or possibly earlier -- when I got battery operated cars for my fourth birthday. Tesla wasn't founded for decades after that... Elon is four or five years younger than me, and lived around 10,000 miles away, so it isn't his fault. I simply realized as a young child, on my own, that electric cars were fundamentally 'BETTER'... And as much of a 'car guy' as I may be, no matter how much I admired the beauty and ingenuity that went into ICE products, I always wondered in the back of my mind... "Why isn't this an electric car?"

But when people speak of a 'herd mentality' or 'sheeples' or even 'minions' that gets on my everloving last friggin' nerve. Because that is absolutely inappropriate, highly inaccurate, and just plain INSULTING to my sensibilities. I haven't followed ANY crowd when it comes to my design sense. I don't care about fashion, or luxury, or heritage, or tradition, or any of the other marketing terms that are thrown about all the time. I don't need to be trendy, or show off my status, or climb the social ladder, or 'Keep Up with the Joneses' at all. I make a conscious effort to NEVER 'dress to impress' and I avoid velvet rope cover-charge-at-the-door establishments like the plague. I don't give a flaming fig about any of that stuff. I don't have to show off. All I have to do is show up. Because I'm just that damned awesome.

When it comes to ICE vehicles, I am pretty agnostic when it comes to the technology. I like what works. Doesn't matter if it is piston or Wankel or turbine based. Doesn't matter if it is normally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged, or squeezed.

I don't like ugly cars. I don't mind new cars that pay homage to older designs. But I absolutely despise designs that have remained stagnant over the course of multiple decades.

But upon realizing, thanks to Tesla, that all of the compromises, excuses, and 'reasons' why electric cars had not proliferated had been proven entirely wrong...? I am now firmly on the side of electric vehicles. I will never buy another ICE if there is a viable EV available to perform the same function. When someone creates a 100+ MPG, zero emission, 90% energy efficiency, high horsepower, instantaneous torque ICE...? THEN I'll happily applaud their efforts. But since that simply AIN'T gonna happen? EVER? Not even with a 600 cc 64-valve quad cam V16 with variable valve timing and lift -- I'm staying with EVs for good -- and not being part of any 'herd' whatsoever.

Oh... and the 'because Tesla' thing was also very, very, VERY infuriating. I almost didn't reply at all because of that single statement. Especially since no one I know of has ever used that as an argument in favor of the interior at all. Maybe, if I were the type of 'fanboi' so many have accused me of being for the last three years, I would stoop to such levels. But I never have. Not once. And I won't. Not ever. Not even in jest.

So again, I hate EVs because I dislike the screen?

Look, I am as pro EV as any guy. I am also pro Tesla, but to me it seems that if I just criticize one single small part of the Model 3, I hate it?

And you have quite the ethics here, my "because Tesla" comment was infuriating, who has been using hyperboles the whole time? Steam gauges and all...

So again, I hate EVs because I dislike the screen?

Look, I am as pro EV as any guy. I am also pro Tesla, but to me it seems that if I just criticize one single small part of the Model 3, I hate it?

And you have quite the ethics here, my "because Tesla" comment was infuriating, who has been using hyperboles the whole time? Steam gauges and all...
Please read my posts again. I'm pretty sure that at no point did I note why someone else should like the center screen. I noted why I like it, and why I believe Tesla did it. I stated that those who profess that it was done 'for no reason' have overlooked its potential benefits. And I never said that you hate EVs because you dislike the screen. I have pointed out why I am personally sick and tired of seeing 'The Same Ole Same Ole' inside just about every so-called 'Sports Sedan'. I never said that Tesla was perfect, or that you could not criticize them, or that you had to like everything they do. Neither did I ever say that everything Tesla does is correct, 'because Tesla'.

My comment was that the presence of steam gauges in what was once 'high tech' machinery has influenced the interior design of too many vehicles since. It is time that useful information was displayed in a more modern medium. It is also much more flexible to have a virtual graphic interface than to have the hundreds of dials, levers, sliders, and switches that would be necessary to replicate the menu system of a Tesla in the physical world. There is no need to replicate the visual complexity of a locomotive, steam ship, aircraft cockpit, or old school ICE within a modern electric car.

But to some the term 'need' is perhaps relative. Some may feel a 'need' to fulfill a 'want'. The way Tesla displays information in their cars is in a logical fashion that I want to experience, that I 'need' to fulfill. The way Acura, Alfa Romeo, AUDI, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz display things on their dashboards is not something that I either need or want. Because they are, in my opinion, paying far too much homage to technologies of the past, going all the way back to steam engines. That is not in any way hyperbolic.

What does 'The FUTURE!' really look like?

5438a0c68d1b4725eb0137e7eb4ce606.jpg

ufo_controlsphere.jpg

sptbc084.jpg

cap069.bmp

x240-x_M.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak and landis
View attachment 234591

Note the simple, modern interior designed for ease of manufacture, maximum passenger space and with all the ornate doodads of the past left out. Not a HUD, not a switch, not a button in sight.
It might be a hatchback, though.
Robin
A generous application of electromorphic transparent aluminum helps too, along with the transformium infused element zero drive core, makes for a vehicle you don't have to park because it becomes your own attache case to carry into the office on command. Such is... The FUTURE! Unfortunately, traffic is still horrible on the 405, even with all these advances.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
A generous application of electromorphic transparent aluminum helps too, along with the transformium infused element zero drive core, makes for a vehicle you don't have to park because it becomes your own attache case to carry into the office on command. Such is... The FUTURE! Unfortunately, traffic is still horrible on the 405, even with all these advances.
Makes a pretty nice aquarium, too. Big enough for whales, I bet.
Robin

• Funny
Please read my posts again. I'm pretty sure that at no point did I note why someone else should like the center screen. I noted why I like it, and why I believe Tesla did it. I stated that those who profess that it was done 'for no reason' have overlooked its potential benefits. And I never said that you hate EVs because you dislike the screen. I have pointed out why I am personally sick and tired of seeing 'The Same Ole Same Ole' inside just about every so-called 'Sports Sedan'. I never said that Tesla was perfect, or that you could not criticize them, or that you had to like everything they do. Neither did I ever say that everything Tesla does is correct, 'because Tesla'.

My comment was that the presence of steam gauges in what was once 'high tech' machinery has influenced the interior design of too many vehicles since. It is time that useful information was displayed in a more modern medium. It is also much more flexible to have a virtual graphic interface than to have the hundreds of dials, levers, sliders, and switches that would be necessary to replicate the menu system of a Tesla in the physical world. There is no need to replicate the visual complexity of a locomotive, steam ship, aircraft cockpit, or old school ICE within a modern electric car.

But to some the term 'need' is perhaps relative. Some may feel a 'need' to fulfill a 'want'. The way Tesla displays information in their cars is in a logical fashion that I want to experience, that I 'need' to fulfill. The way Acura, Alfa Romeo, AUDI, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz display things on their dashboards is not something that I either need or want. Because they are, in my opinion, paying far too much homage to technologies of the past, going all the way back to steam engines. That is not in any way hyperbolic.

What does 'The FUTURE!' really look like?

5438a0c68d1b4725eb0137e7eb4ce606.jpg

ufo_controlsphere.jpg

sptbc084.jpg

cap069.bmp

x240-x_M.jpg

Just to clarify it, again. I don't want switches and knobs, steam gauges, or anything, I just don't like the floating screen.
What I want it to be is like in my Model S.

One integrated big screen and a smaller one for the driver, as long as the car can't drive itself (Or as long as I want to drive it myself, the M3 will hopefully be quite the fun car to drive, I expect it to be). I think it looks ascetically nicer that way, but maybe that means I want a steam engined BMW, who knows...

Just to clarify it, again. I don't want switches and knobs, steam gauges, or anything, I just don't like the floating screen.
What I want it to be is like in my Model S.

One integrated big screen and a smaller one for the driver, as long as the car can't drive itself (Or as long as I want to drive it myself, the M3 will hopefully be quite the fun car to drive, I expect it to be). I think it looks ascetically nicer that way, but maybe that means I want a steam engined BMW, who knows...
Without a floating screen there'd be a huge problem, either you'd have to decrease the screen height reducing its usefulness as you'd have to take your eyes further off the road, or to integrate it you'd have to raise up the dash, decreasing visibility.

The third option would be partial integration, now it's probably wild speculation on my part, but if the screen was made to collapse in case of a forward collision like a steering column, then a partially integrated screen wouldn't be able to do this and would remain rigid in an accident.

There are probably more options I can't think of at the moment that would allow the lower dash and highly visible display of information (besides a HUD).