Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla stop warning about Supercharging idle fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked my account and noticed there was a balance for Supercharger idle fees. I've gotten warnings previously but didn't get a warning on my app for the time they charged me for idling (it was inside a paid parking garage) nor did I get a warning today when I fully charged at a Supercharger waiting to take delivery of another Tesla.

I also got hit with an idle fee the other day while charging my MS while on a M3 test drive. The fee was which auto-charged to my credit card and I never received the idle fee warning notification (or any notifications for the charge period).

Not even sure why I was charged TBH as the station was way less than half full when charging was completed...

Tesla refunded the charge as a “one time” courtesy.

I also got hit with an idle fee the other day while charging my MS while on a M3 test drive. The fee was which auto-charged to my credit card and I never received the idle fee warning notification (or any notifications for the charge period).

Not even sure why I was charged TBH as the station was way less than half full when charging was completed...

Tesla refunded the charge as a “one time” courtesy.

Was your MS sitting plugged in and done charging?

$0.40/minute = $24.00/ hour.

Not exactly chump change. I don’t live in a big city so I don’t know what 40 cents gets you at a NYC or SF parking meter, but I would wager more than one minute.

I wonder if the idle fees start when the battery is charged to 100% or the maximum charge percentage set in the car.

For people who charge to a lower percentage daily and forget to increase before hitting the Supercharger, the length of time the idle fees rack up might be a shock. I have all of my Tesla phone app charging alerts ON.

Reactions: MikeyS

Not exactly chump change. I don’t live in a big city so I don’t know what 40 cents gets you at a NYC or SF parking meter, but I would wager more than one minute.

I wonder if the idle fees start when the battery is charged to 100% or the maximum charge percentage set in the car.

For people who charge to a lower percentage daily and forget to increase before hitting the Supercharger, the length of time the idle fees rack up might be a shock. I have all of my Tesla phone app charging alerts ON.

Parking at Fisherman’s Wharf is around $40/hr. But $24 per hour would get you a decent upscale parking garage elsewhere where you would only have a 30% chance of your rear corner window smashed and 50% chance of a no front plate ticket per hour :D.

Was your MS sitting plugged in and done charging?

Yes, though because notifications were not functioning I did not get the memo that charging was complete.

Maximum percentage set by the car.

You are looking at it wrong. It isn't paid parking, it's blocking someone be else from accesing a charger. Offline chargers count towards full total so car count doesn't always work.

Reactions: thecloud

Even in Boston, some downtown lots are easily $45-$60 an hour

Idle fees start when supercharging stops (but not charged if you disconnect your car during 5 min. grace period). If you have charge percentage set at less than 100%, supercharging stops at that percentage. It would never get to 100%, so that answers your question.

Idle fees just went up... Tesla increases Supercharger idle fees to decrease wait times

The automaker has now updated it to make it both more lenient when the stations are not seeing high usage and more aggressive if they are full. Starting now, the fee is going up to $0.50 per minute if a station is at least 50% full. If the station is 100% full, the fee goes up to US$1 per minute: Country Currency Idle fee (per minute) Idle fee (per minute) when the station is 100% occupied
  • United States $0.50 / $1.00
  • Canada CAD $0.65 / $1.30
As first announced with the original Supercharger idle fee, if the owner unplugs the vehicle within 5 minutes after the car is full, the fee is waived. To be clear, this fee is completely separate from the Supercharger paid model, which charges by the kWh or minute of charging for vehicles without the free unlimited Supercharging program.

Idle fees just went up... Tesla increases Supercharger idle fees to decrease wait times

The automaker has now updated it to make it both more lenient when the stations are not seeing high usage and more aggressive if they are full. Starting now, the fee is going up to $0.50 per minute if a station is at least 50% full. If the station is 100% full, the fee goes up to US$1 per minute: Country Currency Idle fee (per minute) Idle fee (per minute) when the station is 100% occupied
  • United States $0.50 / $1.00
  • Canada CAD $0.65 / $1.30
As first announced with the original Supercharger idle fee, if the owner unplugs the vehicle within 5 minutes after the car is full, the fee is waived. To be clear, this fee is completely separate from the Supercharger paid model, which charges by the kWh or minute of charging for vehicles without the free unlimited Supercharging program.

Excellent! I was just going to say I thought the idle fees were too low. People need to get their non-charging cars out of the way ASAP.

But how is this "more lenient" than the previous program?

This is not an economic analysis as to whether it is cheaper to pay idle fees or pay a garage parking fee. These fees came along for one reason only. I am disappointed at the inconsiderate ICE vehicles who block access to charging, as I am with Tesla owners who don’t show common courtesy. It’s a real bummer Tesla had to address this.

Reactions: Big Earl