Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Key design change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another reason to use the key fob to unlock the car is so that when you approach the car from the rear you can extract the charging connector without first having to do the "Tesla Two-step", i.e., walking forward to allow the car to detect the fob, then back to the charging connector.

Another reason to use the key fob to unlock the car is so that when you approach the car from the rear you can extract the charging connector without first having to do the "Tesla Two-step", i.e., walking forward to allow the car to detect the fob, then back to the charging connector.

Yes, I do that too. Just checked my pocket and still absolutely no sign of trouble with my fob. (I do keep it in one of those Case Logic USB sleeves).

The key fob is covered under warranty when the shell cracks around the buttons. I have mine scheduled for replacement for 7/1. I also lost one of my key fob and it is going to cost me $370 to replace it. Ouch! I wonder how much other car brands charge?

I heard the newer keys don't have this issue but I don't know for sure. My delivery was December 2012. Anyone seen the cracking with later deliveries?

Additional info: cost is $330 for fob and $40 for labor to reprogram both keys.

Last edited:
S
The key fob is covered under warranty when the shell cracks around the buttons. I have mine scheduled for replacement for 7/1. I also lost one of my key fob and it is going to cost me $370 to replace it. Ouch! I wonder how much other car brands

Additional info: cost is $330 for fob and $40 for labor to reprogram both keys.

Lexus quoted 350 € for the fob plus 300 € for the metal part of the key that can be used to mechanically open the car when the transmitter doesn't work. The latter is inserted in the fob, so it's costing 650 € to replace the lost key.