Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between P85 & regular 85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New user here... and the more that I look at the Model S, the more that I would love to own one. :) Probably a very common statement being made...

For those that have looked -- are there big difference between the Performance 85 and the regular 85 models?

I know that the Performance has the more powerful engine and has a couple of items standard that would cost extra for the regular S' ... just curious if you really see/notice the $ 15K difference?

Of course, I understand that this question has probably been asked by many other people -- so if I need to be directed to another thread, I'll understand. :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, the price difference is $12K because a few options are standard on the Performance model. The electric motor is actually the same; the power inverter is different. The Performance also has more advanced traction control, as well as a number of interior enhancements. I'm not positive, but I think there might be a difference in the way the suspension is set up at the factory—to handle the extra torque.

No question the Performance is ridiculously fast. WSJ's Dan Neil called it, "stupid fast." I guess it depends on what you've driven in the past and the kind of driving you plan to do. For me, the Performance is filling in for a Ferrari and an Audi S6. I enjoy ripping up the mountain roads around Vermont, and on the uphill sections you really appreciate the extra torque. For most normal driving though, the standard 85kWh Model S would be more than powerful enough.

Nice! Is there a Tesla thread at our usual forum... or is blended in with the EV/Leaf thread?

- - - Updated - - -

It would definitely be "normal" driving (as normal as you can currently get driving an EV) :) -- It would be replacing a Chrysler 300S (which is a great car... just not a Tesla <g>)

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind Shady... found it!

I own the regular 85 and sometimes pine for the performance version (like at least once a day); its acceleration is intoxicating. I've driven both, whereas the regular version is merely fast off the line, the performance version literally leaps. Also, as one adds passengers to the car, the regular version comparatively speaking, "bogs" down.

One aspect of the regular version I don't quite understand is the maximum power input seems to be the same as the performance version, just applied at a slower ramp up rate, which my guess accounts for the slower acceleration times. An example is the best way to illustrate this: In my regular 85, under full acceleration I hit and slightly exceed the 310kWh mark; however the time to reach that mark is much slower than the videos I have seen of the P85 hitting the same mark under full acceleration. I definitely think that Tesla has understated the true HP of both regular and performance versions.

I've driven both now. The 85kWh car is a fast car. Depending on what you've been driving in the past it might seem very fast.

The P85 is fast regardless of what you have been driving before. Peak acceleration is not as high as many top performing ICE vehicles, but throttle response is instant (as it is in the regular 85) and it will keep up with almost any production vehicle and embarrass many dedicated sports cars. And part of what makes it great is how accessible that performance is. All you do is depress the throttle.

ICE vehicles which can beat it require quite a bit more skill to extract the performance needed to accomplish it. And none of them have the ability to instantly transform from hyper efficient luxury bubble to neck snapping "go" demon.

There are some differences... but to me, you're paying for ludicrous performance instead of just fantastic performance. :)

^^^This. I'm guessing since I've never driven the Performance. I'm sure it has a lot to do with what cars your coming from. I drove the standard 85 and it was unbelievably fast, and powerful. I fully intended to reserve the standard but then the Car Of The Year thing happened and my buddies beat me up 'til I ordered the Performance. So I ponied up the extra cash due to peer pressure. At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.:wink:

If money is an issue and you just want the extra range I think the standard 85 is a really fast powerful car. I'll let you know in about a week if I can tell the difference. It's kind of like audio quality. The folks that are into it can really tell. My suspicion is I'll just think the car is really fast!

Well, the P85 is certainly quick compared to most cars. I have driven my son's car many times. BUT--it is (woof, woof) a dog compared to my Roadster!! (Dose this qualify for the adolescent-joke section?):biggrin:

Jeff,

I'll put it this way. I used to look forward to my weekends so I could drive my F430 or M5. The Ferrari became far to impractical to keep given the 2 little bundles of joy in my life, so it was sold. I now look forward to driving anywhere in my P85, and I don't miss either of the other cars at all. As for comparison between the 85 or the P85? Depends on what type of car and it's performance you are coming from. While I would have been perfectly happy with an 85, no doubt, I knew that the P85 would be the perfect thrill ride for me. The price was about the same between the P85 and a new F10 M5, which was what I was seriously considering...

Spaceballs video

Brian beat me to it. They've gone to plaid!
To keep the comparison going, S60 = light speed, S85 = ridiculous speed, P85 = ludicrous speed

I used to drive a '94 Nissan 30zx twin turbo. It was fast as hell, but not all too quick waiting for the turbos to spool up.
Until last week, I drove a 2007 335i coupe with the sport package. It was no M3, but quite quick, since turbo lag wasn't as noticeable as the 300zx, and the Bimmer was amazingly smooth at high speed.
I've also put the hammer down in my brother's Jag XJR; it's certainly no slouch, especially being as large as it is -- a real sleeper.

But driving the P85 was on a whole other level of responsiveness and torque. It plastered the Tesla Grin onto my face, expletives streaming from the corners of my mouth to my ears under the acceleration. It's that quick. Man I wish mine were here already!

If you have the means, go for the P85. If you want to save some money, get the S85. Either way, you'll be driving an absolutely amazing piece of art woven out of brilliant technology on a loom of masterful engineering.