Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disabling Model 3 AutoPilot without Disabling Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, ecarfan, but after years of competitive driving, I don't think I'll ever learn to steer in a direction I don't intend to procede, or to brake when I don't want to decelerate, in order to disable autosteer.

Deeply ingrained thought pattern are not easily altered, but thanks!
You might be surprised by how little steering wheel pressure is required to disable Autosteer but keep TACC on. The car barely moves within the lane you are in. Give it a try...

• Helpful
Reactions: shrspeedblade
You might be surprised by how little steering wheel pressure is required to disable Autosteer but keep TACC on. The car barely moves within the lane you are in. Give it a try...
I'm pretty sure a software update a couple months ago reduced the steering wheel force required to disengage Autosteer. So OP, if you haven't tried it recently you might want to give it another try. If you're on an old version of software you'll need to install the latest version before trying it again. Sorry, I don't recall which version changed this. BTW, I agree that previously it was a bit jarring when doing this.

I wish this were possible. The practical use here is that TACC is great, but requires steering - not necessarily a bad thing. Auto steering is great but being able to change lanes (manually) should be viable. Right now the only way is to force the steering wheel or go up on the stalk. I think that people on this thread agree that this isn't a fluid or natural operation.

The engineer in my head tells me the best way to do this would be to disengage Auto Steering / lanekeeping if the driver uses a turn signal, as this is a natural indicator of intent.

Note that this is just "Autopilot" as it is currently (autosteer + autoaccelerate + autobrake). If one has FSD which includes the auto lane change, then a turn signal initiates the automation to change the lanes and there wouldn't be any disengage.

Reactions: Hans L
I wish this were possible. The practical use here is that TACC is great, but requires steering - not necessarily a bad thing. Auto steering is great but being able to change lanes (manually) should be viable. Right now the only way is to force the steering wheel or go up on the stalk. I think that people on this thread agree that this isn't a fluid or natural operation.

The engineer in my head tells me the best way to do this would be to disengage Auto Steering / lanekeeping if the driver uses a turn signal, as this is a natural indicator of intent.

Note that this is just "Autopilot" as it is currently (autosteer + autoaccelerate + autobrake). If one has FSD which includes the auto lane change, then a turn signal initiates the automation to change the lanes and there wouldn't be any disengage.

I don't know if this was either fixed or I was just an idiot (always a possibility) but initiating a lane change by using the turn signal turns off lanekeeping automatically while keeping on TACC. So there's that. All good now, or maybe it always was!

I don't know if this was either fixed or I was just an idiot (always a possibility) but initiating a lane change by using the turn signal turns off lanekeeping automatically while keeping on TACC. So there's that. All good now, or maybe it always was!
Not for me. It does the lane change and then lane keeping continues in new lane.

Reactions: mswlogo

That's exactly what I do - use the turn signal deactives auto-steer, but not TACC.