Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the media situation so far (No CD player in Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With everything being digital these days many would argue that not having a CD player isn't a huge loss although I understand why many would want it. If you have a ton of CDs (which I do) but haven't converted them to mp3, AAC or FLAC then CD support would make things easier. The lack of CD support might just be the push to convert CDs to AAC or FLAC then which enables you to put thousands of songs on a USB thumb drive and not have to switch CDs while driving. They do need to support Apple Lossless on top of FLAC though and improve the audio interface and enable the on-board storage.

"Everything being digital these days" is quite a generalization. While I agree many of the young, hip (or wannabe) people will prefer digital material, I am sure the majority worldwide still has tons of CDs. Now I just think how long it would take me to digitize all of my several hundred CDs. It's prohibitive, I just haven't got that much time to waste. I have got a family with two small kids after all - and spending as much of my little free time with them as possible is far more important to me. Plus, many of those people who car afford a Model S in the first place are either professionals who have "made it" (at whatever age) or in many cases senior citizens with the kids out of the house and no remaining morgage or other credit costs on their minds. Especially many older people aren't really into digitizing media (I know that is also a generalization, but so far my experience has told me it seems to be quite true).
So while getting rid of a CD player in the Model S may appeal to the young/hip/with-it/techie crowd, for the majority of potential buyers it is just an unnessecary omission, or even an annoyance that they won't be able to play their music in that car (without taking said effort to digitize all their stuff first).

Oh and about the "changing CDs while driving" argument, perhaps you remember there used to be something called a CD changer (which I happen to have in my car). :wink:

While I agree many of the young, hip (or wannabe) people will prefer digital material, I am sure the majority worldwide still has tons of CDs.
I just LOLed ... CD is a digital media.
Analog were old cassete tapes (not Sony DT) and vinyl records. Compact disc is a digital media, almost exactly like USB stick is a digital media. It is just the physical form and ease of transportation/modification/usage.

"Everything being digital these days" is quite a generalization. While I agree many of the young, hip (or wannabe) people will prefer digital material, I am sure the majority worldwide still has tons of CDs. Now I just think how long it would take me to digitize all of my several hundred CDs. It's prohibitive, I just haven't got that much time to waste. I have got a family with two small kids after all - and spending as much of my little free time with them as possible is far more important to me. Plus, many of those people who car afford a Model S in the first place are either professionals who have "made it" (at whatever age) or in many cases senior citizens with the kids out of the house and no remaining morgage or other credit costs on their minds. Especially many older people aren't really into digitizing media (I know that is also a generalization, but so far my experience has told me it seems to be quite true).
So while getting rid of a CD player in the Model S may appeal to the young/hip/with-it/techie crowd, for the majority of potential buyers it is just an unnessecary omission, or even an annoyance that they won't be able to play their music in that car (without taking said effort to digitize all their stuff first).

Oh and about the "changing CDs while driving" argument, perhaps you remember there used to be something called a CD changer (which I happen to have in my car). :wink:

I realize it is an adjustment but the same could be said for supporting cassette tapes. At a certain point things move on and if a CD player or changer is vital to car ownership then the Model S won't work for that person. There are services that you can mail your CDs to and have them converted to mp3, FLAC...etc on a thumb drive so other than cost, no effort involved.

Apple ditched the floppy drive 5 years before PCs did and they did fine. People who wanted their products complained but they adjust. I also think people would enjoy having their entire music library at their finger tips. Even with a CD changer you can't fit more than 6 CDs usually.

Here's an article on this trend (moving away from CD players in cars):
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120110/OEM10/120109913/1261#axzz2YoWtYUzZ

Basically young people don't care about CD players, older people still do. Automakers would prefer to move away from CD players, as they are expensive. Tesla probably moved away for the same reason (they have an even tougher position since they won't have the volume to get the same prices as larger automakers).

Here's an article on this trend (moving away from CD players in cars):
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120110/OEM10/120109913/1261#axzz2YoWtYUzZ

Basically young people don't care about CD players, older people still do. Automakers would prefer to move away from CD players, as they are expensive. Tesla probably moved away for the same reason (they have an even tougher position since they won't have the volume to get the same prices as larger automakers).

Interesting link. But are CD players really that expensive? When I think of how little "normal" CD players (i.e. outside of cars) cost, I wonder why CD players for cars should be expensive???

- - - Updated - - -

And that's when the 6 CD changer actually works. They aren't particularly robust.

??? I've had CD changers in cars for almost two decades now, and never even the slightest glitch. I mean there are a lot of things in car that can break, but I've never heard of anyone whose CD player (or changer) broke. Mind you, I am talking OEM factory installed hardware - not later add-on tech.

- - - Updated - - -

I realize it is an adjustment but the same could be said for supporting cassette tapes. At a certain point things move on and if a CD player or changer is vital to car ownership then the Model S won't work for that person. There are services that you can mail your CDs to and have them converted to mp3, FLAC...etc on a thumb drive so other than cost, no effort involved.

Apple ditched the floppy drive 5 years before PCs did and they did fine. People who wanted their products complained but they adjust. I also think people would enjoy having their entire music library at their finger tips. Even with a CD changer you can't fit more than 6 CDs usually.

Of course a CD player is not vital to a car, after all as you said, in even older days cars only had tape decks. It's just that I think Tesla made a mistake by not even offering a CD player as an option. Simply arguing that their customers should "move on" is showing quite an attitude - one that (like Apple's) does not make a company very sympathetic to be honest. And quite condescending too. I'm not sure if it comes from their Silicon Valley approach towards designing a car - trying to depart as radically from tradition as possible.

Of course a CD player is not vital to a car, after all as you said, in even older days cars only had tape decks. It's just that I think Tesla made a mistake by not even offering a CD player as an option. Simply arguing that their customers should "move on" is showing quite an attitude - one that (like Apple's) does not make a company very sympathetic to be honest. And quite condescending too. I'm not sure if it comes from their Silicon Valley approach towards designing a car - trying to depart as radically from tradition as possible.

This is the most technologically advanced vehicle on the market. To bog it down with tech on the way out is sort of missing the point. My last three computers didn't even have an optical drive. Sony stopped making them a year ago. Is Tesla supposed to add a reportedly expensive part to their vehicle just because you can't find the time to rip a few dozen CDs to a USB drive? Suggestion: Try one a day. Surely you can find 10 minutes?

Was Tesla being condescending when they omitted map pockets in favor of a "cleaner" design? What about putting the user's manual online? That makes the assumption that every owner uses a computer. How dare they make such wild assumptions?!

Not having a CD drive is just something people will have to get used to. Just like using a touch screen for everything and dealing with charging stations of varying designs. All compromises made in return for a really great car.

It's just that I think Tesla made a mistake by not even offering a CD player as an option. Simply arguing that their customers should "move on" is showing quite an attitude - one that (like Apple's) does not make a company very sympathetic to be honest. And quite condescending too.
The whole car screams "forget the past". Buyers should move on, on several areas. I know it`s some work to convert a whole cd-collection as I did it myself a few years ago. Ironically the digitalized cd-collection is not in use anymore as everything is streamed now :) If you don`t have time to convert it yourselves then you probably work a lot and can afford to pay some kid to do it for you :) ?

You're quite right, I should have specified. I know that what he meant by "digital media" was content that is not stored on ancient devices like CD's
The real distinction now is not between analog and digital but between mechanical and "solid state" players. CD is still a mechanical device that rattles and wears out. Flash drives only wear out :)
Do we know if a HDD is in Model S?

A CD player takes up space and is another part that can break. Adding it as an option is yet another piece to the complex dance they had to get this car launched and that wasn't trouble free as well all know. I don't think it is arrogant to say 'most customers don't want a CD player or will adjust so wont put one in' by Tesla. You could say the same for ashtrays and cigarette lighters in cars. There are still more than a few people who smoke and want one in their car but Tesla (and almost everyone else now) left it out.

I gave up CD's several years ago and as of late don't even utilize physical media for my movies. Adding a CD/DVD player would be a total waste to me and in my opinion degrade the "future" feel of the vehicle.

I would, however, liked to see more USB inputs. The glove box defintely should have had one.

??? I've had CD changers in cars for almost two decades now, and never even the slightest glitch. I mean there are a lot of things in car that can break, but I've never heard of anyone whose CD player (or changer) broke. Mind you, I am talking OEM factory installed hardware - not later add-on tech.

Well, I replaced three 6 disk factory changers in the VW TDI, and the 6 disk factory changer in the Prius just broke at ~150,000 miles. The best thing I can say about them is that they are more reliable than the mechanical car clocks of the 1950s and 1960s (which typically worked for about a week).

Interesting link. But are CD players really that expensive? When I think of how little "normal" CD players (i.e. outside of cars) cost, I wonder why CD players for cars should be expensive???
Well there's a couple of factors. Most car CD players are CD changers, not a simple 1 disc player. They are also expected to work for beyond the car's warranty period, which is typically more than 3 years. Consumer CD players are warrantied for 1 year only.

There's also most likely much less manufacturers of car CD players, so less competition, which would raise prices. Plus Tesla would have to negotiate prices with the manufacturer based on their own volume, while a consumer buys from a bulk retailer that already has the volume.

I agree with dsm636 though. The costs to integrating that in the car (option or otherwise) is probably what will cost the most. The Model S from the start (way back in the prototype stage) was not designed for the standard head unit. The idea is to minimize the amount of physical buttons and components and a standard car CD player would probably add a lot of them unless they go the custom route (which would be even more expensive).

I'm actually a bit surprised Model S doesn't have an AUX jack, though.

Then if somebody really wanted a CD player or Cassette player, they could plug one in (it would be awkward as hell, and I'd never do it in a million years, but...optionality). Couldn't have cost much to stick one next to the USB ports.

A CD player takes up space and is another part that can break. Adding it as an option is yet another piece to the complex dance they had to get this car launched and that wasn't trouble free as well all know. I don't think it is arrogant to say 'most customers don't want a CD player or will adjust so wont put one in' by Tesla. You could say the same for ashtrays and cigarette lighters in cars. There are still more than a few people who smoke and want one in their car but Tesla (and almost everyone else now) left it out.

Well the cigarette loving crowd and how carmakers deal with them is a perfect example for what I suggested with the CD drive - make it optional at least.
Every carmaker here e.g. offers to either have the "smoker's package" (i.e. ashtray and cigarette lighter) or like in my car the "nonsmoker's package" (i.e. 12-Volt outlet and small item holding area instead of the lighter/ashtray combi). Both options are normally free by the way, like the omission of the model/engine signage on the rear of the car, which most people choose nowadays.
In that case one could also argue that a car looks cleaner without that senseless lettering on the back so customers should "move on" and get used to clean looking cars. I guess quite a lot of people who like to show off what great engine their car has would be really pissed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually a bit surprised Model S doesn't have an AUX jack, though.

Then if somebody really wanted a CD player or Cassette player, they could plug one in (it would be awkward as hell, and I'd never do it in a million years, but...optionality). Couldn't have cost much to stick one next to the USB ports.

It doesn't even have an AUX jack? Well, all I can say is perhaps Tesla really wanted to get the thing out on the market as soon as possible and therefor omitted some things that seemed irrelevant to them. At least that would be understandable, especially if after the car has been around for a while they add such thing as options at a later time when all the initial teething problems have been ironed out.

There's also most likely much less manufacturers of car CD players, so less competition, which would raise prices. Plus Tesla would have to negotiate prices with the manufacturer based on their own volume, while a consumer buys from a bulk retailer that already has the volume.

Well as Daimler is a strategic partner, Tesla could have easily sourced CD player units from the Mercedes parts bin (or bought them via the Daimler negotiation powers) like they did with all the other Daimler sourced parts like the buttons for the electric windows, the gearlever/signalling stalk/steering wheel unit.

- - - Updated - - -

My previous car was a 2012 Acura TL with the Tech Package, which could play CDs and 5.1 DVD Audio discs. The ELS sound system had supposedly been engineered by Elliot Scheiner, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliot_Scheiner. It also had a 20GB hard drive that you could rip CDs to. I think that relatively modest Acura system sounded significantly better than the Studio system in my Model S. I would liked to have seen a universal optical disc player option in the MS, that let you play CDs, DVD-A, and SACD discs.

+1 exactly (at least I now know I am not alone with my opinion ;-) )

- - - Updated - - -

This is the most technologically advanced vehicle on the market. To bog it down with tech on the way out is sort of missing the point.

Sorry to say, but the most technologically advanced vehicle on the market it certainly is not. Granted it is the best BEV currently on the market, with a crazy huge touchscreen instead of buttons. That it is. But be realistic, nothing else about this car is technologically very advanced - or more advanced than what other carmakers offer. I would dare say that cars that can park themselves, have hud's, night vision, can avoid collisions autonomously, use full LED headlights, etc. etc. are far more technologically advanced.
Or tell me, what, apart from the BEV tech and the touchscreen, is technologically more advanced than what any other automaker offers?

My last three computers didn't even have an optical drive. Sony stopped making them a year ago. Is Tesla supposed to add a reportedly expensive part to their vehicle just because you can't find the time to rip a few dozen CDs to a USB drive? Suggestion: Try one a day. Surely you can find 10 minutes?

Am I the only one in the world who has hundreds of CD's they just don't want to rip just to satisfy a carmaker? Surely not.
I have no use for music files anywhere else, why should I need them in a car?

Was Tesla being condescending when they omitted map pockets in favor of a "cleaner" design?

Yes they were actually. Like with getting rid of every other usable interior storage space. And at least that is a design decision that quite a few people tend to dislike. Even here on the forum. Otherwise there wouldn't be a market for stuff like soflauthor's great center console.

Not having a CD drive is just something people will have to get used to. Just like using a touch screen for everything and dealing with charging stations of varying designs. All compromises made in return for a really great car.

Or they will have to buy an EV from a carmaker that knows how to satisfy even those backward customers that still make up the majority of the market worldwide...

Last edited:
Sorry to say, but the most technologically advanced vehicle on the market it certainly is not. Granted it is the best BEV currently on the market, with a crazy huge touchscreen instead of buttons. That it is. But be realistic, nothing else about this car is technologically very advanced - or more advanced than what other carmakers offer. I would dare say that cars that can park themselves, have hud's, night vision, can avoid collisions autonomously, use full LED headlights, etc. etc. are far more technologically advanced.
Or tell me, what, apart from the BEV tech and the touchscreen, is technologically more advanced than what any other automaker offers?

In my opinion, ancillary features are not technical advancements to the core competency of a car.