Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with my S75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, thanks, that's kind of how I'm feeling. Just a bit let down, but like I say I'm giving them a chance to fix everything on the list that they can and if the tips I've had from @croman work maybe the range won't be such an issue either.

Wet weather will also affect range, so driving in the rain usually cuts my range 15% (same temps, speeds, etc).

Reactions: Wilsonuk
1. The range indicator is totally misleading. I have never managed to get more than about 60% of the stated 240 mile range driving at 'normal' UK motorway speeds (80mph) I've found anything above 75mph starts to significantly hit range. I just completed a 1300 mile trip in my 90D and if I kept the speed around 70-75mph (and this was cold) the actual estimated miles was almost bang on. Very clever battery management tech.
2. I find the windscreen wipers baffling to use and ineffective. I also get 'Washer Fluid Low' warning all the time when it's full, but that's just one of the build quality issues and i'm sure it's easily fixable. I have a MX so never seen these issues.
3. Faulty door handles - passenger side doesn't retract at all. The drivers side handle pings back in like it has been fired at the car from a catapult. I've had a few small issues with my car, but the local service centre have been incredible. I can handle the odd niggle as long as the company stands behind their product. I've had other premium brands and BY FAR Tesla goes above and beyond to fix.
4. Rear lights have condensation in them, which I assume is because of poorly fitted seals. Again, easily fixable I'm sure, but it reduces confidence in the all round quality of build/assembly. This is a simple cluster replacement under warranty. The mobile units can replace this very quickly.
5. Handling - in the dry, it is twitchy. In damp conditions it is VERY twitchy. In wet conditions it feels to me rather like how I would imagine it would feel riding a Moto GP bike in the wet over cobbles. On slick tyres. I've found my Tesla to bar very shore footed. my MX which is heavier than your MS handles like a car half its weight. Is your car RWD? I did drive a P85+ RWD the other day and it is a little more twitchy but handled the snow here in New England very well.
6. Auto Pilot is useful in slow moving traffic, but nervy at motorway speeds. It doesn't react to cars moving into my lane and sometimes brakes hard for (apparently) absolutely no reason. Auto lane change is inconsistent. The dealer told me that the car 'learns' as it gets used, but I'm not convinced! Firmware 50.3 (latest version) is very solid. The latest neural net is superb. remember autopilot is driver assist and as long as you think of it this way you'll enjoy it. I've just learned to know when AP may fail and take over.
7. Automatic Park inconsistent, and not always offered. I think this might still be in Beta, which is fair enough, but one of my colleagues had a VW Passatt 8 years ago with this feature fully working. Not really had a big issue. Remember the car is BIG and most spaces in the UK are too small for the MS. Teslas need X feet either side for auto park to work.
8. Never managed to pair my calendar with the vehicle. A minor niggle, but it shouldn't be offered as a feature if it doesn't work. Ensure your Tesla App is on, background refresh is on for ONLY Tesla app.
9. The toggle on the steering wheel used to select phone contacts slips easily, making it difficult to send and end calls.
10. Quality of switch gear is very poor. I didn't think I would mind this when I was test driving the car, but it actually annoys me more every time I use the vehicle. Which gear are you talking about? I haven't see any poor quality compared to say my other cars Porsche/Audi's..

1. I don't know if you're using ideal range or rated range but for an S75 to get 240 miles @ 80mph is a pipe dream. Whomever told you take is just plain wrong.
2. Take to service center
3. Take to service center
4. This is a problem that has plagued Tesla for a long time. Not even sure if the problem is fixed at this point. Suggest you contact service center
5a. Take to service center
5b. Never had a problem with my tires but then again I have AWD. The RWD loaner I used had bald and under inflated tires that was scary.
6. I take it you have EAP? Make sure you're on the latest firmware. My understanding is EAP has been getting better with each iteration. I think EAP in Model 3 performs better than original AP but I came in while EAP was working better rather than the earlier iterations. Take the car in to service and they automatically put on on the latest version.
7. I think this has always been the case, in fact now with EAP it tends to overcompensate by showing parking spaces available when it should like when you're next to a car at a light.
8. You need to use the Tesla app on your phone for it to sync.
9. I don't think I've had issues with contacts using the wheel but I've vented my panoramic roof by accident more than a few times. Take it to service center.
10. I take it you mean the gear stalk? Never had issues with mine. How is it poor quality?

In case this hasn't set in to you, a lot of these issues should be taken care of through your service center. You never mention if you've taken it in so it doesn't make sense to air these grievances before Tesla has a chance to make things right.

Thanks for the detailed, reply, much appreciated. Yes, I've vented the concerns to my dealer and they are taking it in mid Feb (I noticed another post earlier asking if service centres are a bit swamped!) but it's a long list! Anyway, that's very useful to me, thank you.

1. The range indicator is totally misleading. I have never managed to get more than about 60% of the stated 240 mile range driving at 'normal' UK motorway speeds (80mph) I've found anything above 75mph starts to significantly hit range. I just completed a 1300 mile trip in my 90D and if I kept the speed around 70-75mph (and this was cold) the actual estimated miles was almost bang on. Very clever battery management tech.
2. I find the windscreen wipers baffling to use and ineffective. I also get 'Washer Fluid Low' warning all the time when it's full, but that's just one of the build quality issues and i'm sure it's easily fixable. I have a MX so never seen these issues.
3. Faulty door handles - passenger side doesn't retract at all. The drivers side handle pings back in like it has been fired at the car from a catapult. I've had a few small issues with my car, but the local service centre have been incredible. I can handle the odd niggle as long as the company stands behind their product. I've had other premium brands and BY FAR Tesla goes above and beyond to fix.
4. Rear lights have condensation in them, which I assume is because of poorly fitted seals. Again, easily fixable I'm sure, but it reduces confidence in the all round quality of build/assembly. This is a simple cluster replacement under warranty. The mobile units can replace this very quickly.
5. Handling - in the dry, it is twitchy. In damp conditions it is VERY twitchy. In wet conditions it feels to me rather like how I would imagine it would feel riding a Moto GP bike in the wet over cobbles. On slick tyres. I've found my Tesla to bar very shore footed. my MX which is heavier than your MS handles like a car half its weight. Is your car RWD? I did drive a P85+ RWD the other day and it is a little more twitchy but handled the snow here in New England very well.
6. Auto Pilot is useful in slow moving traffic, but nervy at motorway speeds. It doesn't react to cars moving into my lane and sometimes brakes hard for (apparently) absolutely no reason. Auto lane change is inconsistent. The dealer told me that the car 'learns' as it gets used, but I'm not convinced! Firmware 50.3 (latest version) is very solid. The latest neural net is superb. remember autopilot is driver assist and as long as you think of it this way you'll enjoy it. I've just learned to know when AP may fail and take over.
7. Automatic Park inconsistent, and not always offered. I think this might still be in Beta, which is fair enough, but one of my colleagues had a VW Passatt 8 years ago with this feature fully working. Not really had a big issue. Remember the car is BIG and most spaces in the UK are too small for the MS. Teslas need X feet either side for auto park to work.
8. Never managed to pair my calendar with the vehicle. A minor niggle, but it shouldn't be offered as a feature if it doesn't work. Ensure your Tesla App is on, background refresh is on for ONLY Tesla app.
9. The toggle on the steering wheel used to select phone contacts slips easily, making it difficult to send and end calls.
10. Quality of switch gear is very poor. I didn't think I would mind this when I was test driving the car, but it actually annoys me more every time I use the vehicle. Which gear are you talking about? I haven't see any poor quality compared to say my other cars Porsche/Audi's..

Thanks! All of this feedback is giving me encouragement that things will improve. Fascinating that 5-10mph can make such a huge difference to range. Mine is RWD, yes. I have had Porsche, Merc SL, Aston Martin Vantage and BMW640 (still current) all RWD and nothing has felt as twitchy as this (that's saying something after the Aston!). However, 3,500 miles is nothing, maybe I will get used to the feel of it in time. I hope that my service centre (Heathrow) is as attentive as yours - sounds like they are the key!

1. The range indicator is totally misleading. I have never managed to get more than about 60% of the stated 240 mile range driving at 'normal' UK motorway speeds (80mph)
2. I find the windscreen wipers baffling to use and ineffective. I also get 'Washer Fluid Low' warning all the time when it's full, but that's just one of the build quality issues and i'm sure it's easily fixable.
3. Faulty door handles - passenger side doesn't retract at all. The drivers side handle pings back in like it has been fired at the car from a catapult.
4. Rear lights have condensation in them, which I assume is because of poorly fitted seals. Again, easily fixable I'm sure, but it reduces confidence in the all round quality of build/assembly.
5. The Interior trim around the door frames is not well fitted which leads to inconsistent closing of windows and excessive noise.
5. Handling - in the dry, it is twitchy. In damp conditions it is VERY twitchy. In wet conditions it feels to me rather like how I would imagine it would feel riding a Moto GP bike in the wet over cobbles. On slick tyres.
6. Auto Pilot is useful in slow moving traffic, but nervy at motorway speeds. It doesn't react to cars moving into my lane and sometimes brakes hard for (apparently) absolutely no reason. Auto lane change is inconsistent. The dealer told me that the car 'learns' as it gets used, but I'm not convinced!
7. Automatic Park inconsistent, and not always offered. I think this might still be in Beta, which is fair enough, but one of my colleagues had a VW Passatt 8 years ago with this feature fully working.
8. Never managed to pair my calendar with the vehicle. A minor niggle, but it shouldn't be offered as a feature if it doesn't work.
10. Quality of switch gear is very poor. I didn't think I would mind this when I was test driving the car, but it actually annoys me more every time I use the vehicle.

I do like the large screen and the ability to warm the car before I enter, but other than that the only reason I can think to keep the vehicle is for price/environmental reasons. So, my experience has been poor, but I'm willing to be convinced of the merits of keeping it by more experienced users! I really want to like it!!

Sorry for so many negatives, but I am genuinely trying to get feedback to help with my decision to change the car or not.

All (constructive) feedback appreciated!

Andy

Welcome!

1. Switch the range indicator from miles to %. "Miles" is either based on the offical NEDC (the same test that gives the A3 etron 176mpg) or Tesla's slightly better but still implausable "drive it like Ms Daisy". % gives you actual battery charge and you will be surprised at how quickly you get used to thinking in these terms. It also cuts down on any anxiety where range appears to be dropping faster than it should.

2. Washer fluid - this one's for the service center. Most of us consider it an achievement to actually get that message!

3. Service Center. Also check the settings - there is a setting for Driver Only, you may have selected that.

4. A "feature" of pretty much every Model S. I had this "fixed" in my original 2014 car by the SC - they used a glue to seal the clusters. Unfortunately, they didn't remove all the moisture first... Anyway, you'll find that it is only a problem when the weather is sub-Californian.

5. Service Center can reseat this for you when they do the other stuff.

5. This is why RWD is soooo much fun :) Not sure if "chill" mode is available for the S75, if it is, try it out.

6. The car "learns" when Tesla pushes an update to it, not usually by the things you do. AP has improved significantly over the past 2 months and we are told there is more to come. Just use it when you feel comfortable. The system does not consider a car to be in (or out of) your lane until it has fully crossed the line, so it pays to be vigilent and just take over if you don't think the car is reacting correctly to the situation. Many people find TACC (single pull of the lever) a better experience.

7. It is beta and very random. When it works, it works well. But you may find it offers you parking assist in the most random places. Like in a queue on a dual carriageway,lol

8. iPhone or Android?

9. Can only suggest practice on this one. The toggle is multifunction and works perfectly for changing the temperature :)

10. Not heard this one before! If it helps, the switchgear is from the Mercedes parts bin.

Have you joined the official UK Facebook group? Might be worth it - lots of local help and advice.

The range is the range driving the EPA ( or perhaps NEDC in Europe) test cycle, not driving 80 mph. You wouldn’t get the advertised range (gas mileage) driving an ICE at 80 mph either. Air resistance increases exponentially with speed.

Calendar pairing works. Are you sure calendar sync is turned on in the Tesla app on your smartphone with the calendar? If you can’t get it after rebooting your phone and car, ask the service center for help. Don’t jump to conclusions about offering a feature that doesn’t work. It works if you follow directions.

EV range is perhaps the #1 question asked by new EV owners on all EV sites.

Power consumption on all vehicles goes up in a non-linear fashion. EVs have the additional loss of the effect of amperage on conductors vs. temperature. The more power, the warmer it gets. The warmer it gets, the higher the resistance, and the more heat is made.

There has been an awful lot written on the subject dating back before you could buy commercial EVs. Home builders first studied it.

But for laughs, take your gasoline car, set the cruise at 80mph and see how close you come to matching the advertised mileage.

Cold weather increases both aero drag, and rolling resistance of tires. Rain, less than smooth road surfaces, wind, elevation changes, spastic right pedal movements, cornering at speed, all draw more HP at a given speed.

My wife loves her car [S 75D] because she says it drives like a Mercedes. Which means its a little disconnected from the road but not overly so - and the steering is somewhat vague. She likes that. It's why I could not stand her CLK500 - and why I drive a 911 and a Cayenne.

So I'm not sure what you mean by 'twitchy,' I would interpret that as very skittish on the road - and thats curable with better tires [tyres?]. The Tesla comes with rock hard eco tyres which are not very good for handling - but most people like the acceleration of the S and not the handling of it.

Before you sell the car - try a different set of tyres on it - something NOT eco rated - a little stickier - you'll burn through them in 15-20k miles - but you may like the car better!

Handling problem is more likely an alignment problem. Cars get shipped long distances and alignment can be knocked out. Also, bad alignment could be causing any steering feel problems you may have. You have to drive an electric car a bit differently than an ice. Not necessarily slower. I usually get in a line of cars going about the speed I want to go, set Autopilot, and relax. This makes a tremendous difference! The other cars are pushing the wind out of your way. Once, I tucked in behind a semi going about 80 and I was getting around 260 Watts. I feel your pain about the other problems, but my last MB literally went through $20,000.00 worth of repairs, and wasn’t heavily driven. I know it sounds trite, but you can get a bad one from anyone. I once had a Toyota that blew 5 headgaskets.

1. The range indicator is totally misleading. I have never managed to get more than about 60% of the stated 240 mile range driving at 'normal' UK motorway speeds (80mph) I've found anything above 75mph starts to significantly hit range. I just completed a 1300 mile trip in my 90D and if I kept the speed around 70-75mph (and this was cold) the actual estimated miles was almost bang on. Very clever battery management tech. I think you are forgetting to factor in cold weather driving. He is from the UK im from Canada and when you drive in sub freezing temps you lose 30% or more range
The windsheild wipers that come with the car suck period
My door handles aren't faulty but some aren't flush with the body and some care crooked
I was told by my service center condensation in the tail lights is normal and will disappear after 30 minutes...(yes that sounds crazy but that is what I was told)
I think the op should change his steering wheel settings maybe he has it in sport mode

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'm going to start with some negatives. I love the idea of Tesla and purchased a brand new Model S 75 in October 2017. After 3,500 miles I have been totally unimpressed to the point where I'm considering trading it in for something else. The purpose of the post is to see if I've been unlucky, or if other Tesla owners have had similar issues, and if so do the issues get resolved/do you get used to the problems in time!

The issues I have with the car part poor build quality and (more worryingly) part failings of the design in my opinion. The list is as follows:

1. The range indicator is totally misleading. I have never managed to get more than about 60% of the stated 240 mile range driving at 'normal' UK motorway speeds (80mph)
2. I find the windscreen wipers baffling to use and ineffective. I also get 'Washer Fluid Low' warning all the time when it's full, but that's just one of the build quality issues and i'm sure it's easily fixable.
3. Faulty door handles - passenger side doesn't retract at all. The drivers side handle pings back in like it has been fired at the car from a catapult.
4. Rear lights have condensation in them, which I assume is because of poorly fitted seals. Again, easily fixable I'm sure, but it reduces confidence in the all round quality of build/assembly.
5. The Interior trim around the door frames is not well fitted which leads to inconsistent closing of windows and excessive noise.
5. Handling - in the dry, it is twitchy. In damp conditions it is VERY twitchy. In wet conditions it feels to me rather like how I would imagine it would feel riding a Moto GP bike in the wet over cobbles. On slick tyres.
6. Auto Pilot is useful in slow moving traffic, but nervy at motorway speeds. It doesn't react to cars moving into my lane and sometimes brakes hard for (apparently) absolutely no reason. Auto lane change is inconsistent. The dealer told me that the car 'learns' as it gets used, but I'm not convinced!
7. Automatic Park inconsistent, and not always offered. I think this might still be in Beta, which is fair enough, but one of my colleagues had a VW Passatt 8 years ago with this feature fully working.
8. Never managed to pair my calendar with the vehicle. A minor niggle, but it shouldn't be offered as a feature if it doesn't work.
10. Quality of switch gear is very poor. I didn't think I would mind this when I was test driving the car, but it actually annoys me more every time I use the vehicle.

I do like the large screen and the ability to warm the car before I enter, but other than that the only reason I can think to keep the vehicle is for price/environmental reasons. So, my experience has been poor, but I'm willing to be convinced of the merits of keeping it by more experienced users! I really want to like it!!

Sorry for so many negatives, but I am genuinely trying to get feedback to help with my decision to change the car or not.

All (constructive) feedback appreciated!

Andy
Sorry to hear about your issues, Andy. I picked up my new S75 at exactly the same time you did, October of 2017 (manufactured 9/2017).

The only 2 issues I've had that you've had was #3 & #7. Within a few days, my front passenger door handle would not retract. The other door handles were fine. A Tesla Ranger came over to my house and had it fixed within an hour or so. Great service.

I too find Auto Park to be very spotty and not offered with any degree of consistency either.

I don't typically drive at 80, but thus far my efficiency, according to my TezLab app, is 92.57%. Admittedly I haven't driven it a whole lot in our frigid winter.

I'm a bit confused about what you find baffling about the wipers. Could you be more specific?

Otherwise I've been thrilled with my S75.

I have the exact same model S75 in Georgia. It has been great. A couple very minor issues the service center happily fixed. Added some 21” staggered Arachnids and handling had a huge improvement. I would give the service center a shot and then readdress. They fix any minor issue I have and never bat an eye. One time I just wanted them to check something to make sure it was okay and before even looking they decided to replace just to make sure it was right. Update us again after your service center trip!

Handling problem is more likely an alignment problem. Cars get shipped long distances and alignment can be knocked out. Also, bad alignment could be causing any steering feel problems you may have. You have to drive an electric car a bit differently than an ice. Not necessarily slower. I usually get in a line of cars going about the speed I want to go, set Autopilot, and relax. This makes a tremendous difference! The other cars are pushing the wind out of your way. Once, I tucked in behind a semi going about 80 and I was getting around 260 Watts. I feel your pain about the other problems, but my last MB literally went through $20,000.00 worth of repairs, and wasn’t heavily driven. I know it sounds trite, but you can get a bad one from anyone. I once had a Toyota that blew 5 headgaskets.

Thanks, it seems a few more thousand miles behind the wheel is required to learn the ropes!