Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with the D unveiling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your complaint is that other people shouldn't ever have good things happen to them? This isn't a case of something bad happening to you, it's a case of something good happening to someone else. They are in no way related.

Do you play the lottery? is it unfair if someone other than you wins?

Don't ever complain that someone else had something good happen to them.

I saw an interesting study about pre-schoolers at one point. They gave the kids a choice of getting 1 cookie, and another kid getting none, or them getting 2 and the other kid getting 3. The majority of the kids preferred the first option to the second.... And that's exactly what I'm hearing on this thread. The hope was that people would grow out of such anti-social and destructive behavior, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Enjoy your 2 cookies, and don't complain because someone else has 3. The alternative is that you both get none.

So your complaint is that other people shouldn't ever have good things happen to them? This isn't a case of something bad happening to you, it's a case of something good happening to someone else. They are in no way related.

If you've read the thread fully you'll have realized that Tesla pushed up my delivery by a month in order to benefit them and that is now clear was at a loss to me in the form of missing out on these sensors. I wasn't given enough information to make a fair assessment of the consequences of agreeing to that accelerated time frame. I don't really care what anyone got as long as we all got the information to make decisions for ourselves. That didn't happen in my case. Based on what people have said on this forum they were told to wait for this.

Do you play the lottery? is it unfair if someone other than you wins?

Everyone knows they're playing the lottery when they're playing the lottery. I wasn't aware I was playing the lottery when buying a car. I was also under the impression that my experience was supposed to be better than buying form a dealer. Between my DS essentially ignoring me and the sensor issue, I had a far inferior experience than any of the dealer experience I've ever had (even the ones I know I overpaid).

Breser I think you should contact Tesla and explain the situation you are in and try to negotiate an outcome. Maybe you and Tesla could jointly eat the changeover loss and get your current car turned into a loaner and you get back into the queue for another build. I don't think you will set a precedent as you were going to get these features anyway until Tesla asked to bring your production date forward (without telling you the consequences). You were willing to lose the $2500 deposit anyway so maybe it will only mean a little more than.

If this doesn't go ahead at least you know you still have effectively the worlds best car and I'm sure this sting in time will dissipate.

Breser I think you should contact Tesla and explain the situation you are in and try to negotiate an outcome. Maybe you and Tesla could jointly eat the changeover loss and get your current car turned into a loaner and you get back into the queue for another build. I don't think you will set a precedent as you were going to get these features anyway until Tesla asked to bring your production date forward (without telling you the consequences). You were willing to lose the $2500 deposit anyway so maybe it will only mean a little more than.

If this doesn't go ahead at least you know you have effectively the worlds best car and I'm sure this sting in time will dissipate.

I have drafted an email to ownership, I haven't sent it yet. Still debating the wisdom of sending an email like this on a Friday afternoon near the end of the work day.

Regarding the precedent, I'm not so sure, I'm willing to bet there are quite a few other people who got deliveries moved up for the Q3 end push.

Edit: I sent it. I don't expect much to come of it anyway. As I explained above, they didn't do anything wrong, it just sucks for me.

But if I was a new/potential buyer and Tesla had communicated its intention and the roll-out schedule in advance for AWD and autopilot (assuming I was interested in those) would I have held of my purchase for a month or two? Absolutely. Would last week's/month's + buyer have held off for the D? But they don't communicate that stuff as it is all about sales.

A sale today is better than a possible sale tomorrow. Most product companies don't talk about the next version, because you screw up your potential revenue from the current version. That's why industries followed an annual cycle. With Tesla not following an annual cycle, it makes it a little more difficult, but you can't have the best of both worlds. Continual improvement or fixed cycles. It's one or the other usually.

I am not one caught during the switchover (haven't even ordered one yet). But to restate what has essentially been said before, I do not understand why people are getting so upset when they get exactly what was ordered and paid for. Instead many are insisting that they receive something other than what was promised. While not in the market yet, if I was I would gladly snap up a discounted "new" vehicle.

It took some time to write things up in the level of detail that I felt was necessary. But I went ahead and sent it, like I said in my edit above, I don't think much will come of it.

Best of luck to you, I hope you get a good outcome that works. And I think you might very well get one in your case.

However, after watching the forum for slightly over a year, my sense is that despite all the rending of garmets owners do here, I really don't think Tesla spends much time worrying about the opinions from deals already done and the cars already sold. They are mostly interested in the next sale and the wider marketplace of potential buyers - they're in business to sell new cars to new buyers primarily. Just one man's opinion mind you.

I am not one caught during the switchover (haven't even ordered one yet). But to restate what has essentially been said before, I do not understand why people are getting so upset when they get exactly what was ordered and paid for. Instead many are insisting that they receive something other than what was promised. While not in the market yet, if I was I would gladly snap up a discounted "new" vehicle.
Many people don't seem to. I won't bother to look up "disappointment" in a dictionary, but it is, basically, a feeling you get when something you care about does not live up to your expectations. It is very definitely subjective, but let me put it in a story for clarification.
Imagine you go to a show you really want to see. It's a popular show, so there's a long line to get in. You spend several hours in the line, make a few acquaintances, discuss the show, all the stuff people do in queues. Then it's your turn. You enter the door and pay the $200 for a show (expensive, yes, but you really wanted to see this specific show). As you are making your way to a seat, holding your ticket in anticipation, you see that the doorman opens the doors wide and declares to the rest of the people who are still outside and have not yet bought a ticket: "Hey you all, just get in for free, the show's about to start". Do you still get to see the show? Definitely. Do you get your money's worth? Yes, you knew the ticket price and were prepared to it. Did anyone around do anything inherently wrong? Not really. Does the whole event leave you feeling backstabbed? That's ultimately up to you, but I would very much have an unpleasant aftertaste.

In this case, the disappointment is not in the new features, but rather in Tesla Motors. For quite a while, they cultivated the belief that not only do they build an awesome car, but also that their purchase experience is vastly superior to anything else you can get (at least in the US), and also that the ownership experience is unrivaled. Basically, their perceived statement was "we know it's expensive, but you get the best in everything, and we always have your back". With that context, the implied arbitrary subdivision of the owners into the more and the less privileged fells very icky. As I said, disappointment is subjective, and everyone has every right to feel and express it.

Hear hear!
+1 on this. I know Tesla has attempted to avoid the "model year" label as part of their break with the status quo, but as the car progresses and there is increased disparity in the features/capabilities, having some sort of nomenclature to help identify different "builds", etc probably is helpful to their customer base, the emerging resale market, etc. And perhaps for their customers' peace of mind. Although I just got my P85 in July and probably would have waited had I known this level of upgrade was coming down the pipe so soon, when I look at it as I bought a "2014 Model S" and this new line is the "2015 Model S", it's really pretty much the way any evolving product line works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 466
Sales tax on that in Seattle (where you take delivery and I believe the highest rate) is 9.5% or $8960.40.
No sales tax on EVs in WA.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy your 2 cookies, and don't complain because someone else has 3. The alternative is that you both get none.
Signature owners didn't get any cookies.

- - - Updated - - -

With that context, the implied arbitrary subdivision of the owners into the more and the less privileged fells very icky.
Welcome to the forum!

I think you chose the wrong word here. I think you mean "lucky".

Privileged would imply some intended selectivity based on some criteria of the reservation holder / owner.

No sales tax on EVs in WA.

Wrong. There is no sales tax on sales of NEW Electric Vehicles (actually alternative fuel). You still have to pay the sales tax on a used vehicle.

RCW 82.08.809: Exemptions — Vehicles using clean alternative fuels. (Expires July 1, 2015.)

(1)(a) The tax levied by RCW 82.08.020 does not apply to sales of new passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles, which are exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel.

And before you point out that (b) talks about used vehicles. Please note that this only applies to conversions and only for the first sale after the conversion and a whole slew of other restrictions that essentially make it only applicable to fleets of converted vehicles. The primary purpose of this section is for CNG conversions.

This essentially means that selling a nearly new EV in Washington is an additional loss, because the new owner could save 9.5% just by buying it new.

- - - Updated - - -

In this case, the disappointment is not in the new features, but rather in Tesla Motors. For quite a while, they cultivated the belief that not only do they build an awesome car, but also that their purchase experience is vastly superior to anything else you can get (at least in the US), and also that the ownership experience is unrivaled. Basically, their perceived statement was "we know it's expensive, but you get the best in everything, and we always have your back". With that context, the implied arbitrary subdivision of the owners into the more and the less privileged fells very icky. As I said, disappointment is subjective, and everyone has every right to feel and express it.

Thanks for posting this. Wonderful first post said it far better than my feeble attempts.

What solution do you propose to this dilemma? I'm not criticizing you, since you do make a valid point, I'm just wondering how it can be avoided? Tesla does "build an awesome car, but also that their purchase experience is vastly superior to anything else you can get" (at least in my experience) but I also feel some disappointment with my car that is only 6 months old and doesn't have AWD which I would definitely have bought. But I feel the same disappointment as I do with computers, TV's, and other electronics that constantly get better for the same or even less money. Sure, this is a much larger purchase, but Tesla is building cars how they should be built, like electronic gadgets, and as such we have to expect this. I am also 6 months closer to the grave and I'll never get the past 6 months back. I had a great summer with my car but even if rolled off the line last week, this is all part of life. No use sweating the small stuff. That's how I look at it at least.

I was talking about new. Sorry to be non-specific. I need more sleep.

No problem. I was discounting the used sale price by the sales tax. Otherwise even if you paid less for a used S you'd end up paying more for the vehicle in the end. For example:

Say I offered to sell the vehicle that was $95,520 new for $89,000. Add in the 9.5% sales tax and the buyer would pay $97,455.

Just discounting by 9.5% and subtracting off the $7,500 for the tax credit brings the buyer just under the break point where the used vehicle is cheaper than new. Technically, 9.5% isn't exactly right but it's close enough to be within $750, I was too lazy to solve the discounting exactly right. The only exception to this is a buyer that wouldn't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. But I think it's fairly safe to assume that any such buyer would.