Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing - Car still doesn't "avoid collisions" even with V9.0.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's been previous talk about if before V9.0, the ultrasonic sensor readings would be taking into consideration to avoid a possible collision while on Autopilot, and the consensus was that no it does not, it ignores the ultrasonic sensors.

Was hoping that now with V9.0 and having real visibility to the side of the car, that it would not blinding try to steer into adjacent traffic, but there seems no be no change in the behavior.

We know that when on AutoPilot, if you go to change lanes by using the indicator, it "looks" for cars in the adjacent lanes, but apparently when not signaling, it does not do the same.

Particular situation I'm experiencing is a difficult intersection near my house where the road curves through the intersection, but also crests. Road is 2 lanes in each direction, and if you are in the left lane, the car always always wants to change lanes in the middle of the intersection and ends up in the right lane (it basically loses sight of the lane lines, and because the road turns, what was the left lane is now the right lane). Problem is, if there is a car in the right lane, then my car freely just swerves right into it...I always stop it of course but I have no doubt it would side swipe the car in the right lane. This behavior is exactly the same even in V9.0. Disappointing.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
MEME.jpg

I don't think that tat is the OP's point. It is simply that, whatever the situation, the car shouldn't try to drive into another car, ever. It either sees the car and tries to avoid it, or it fails a fairly simple task.

I have noticed that at least on the binnacle display, when slowly passing another car, the rendering of the car beside you will drop out for a second or so always at the same spot; right next to you. I assume it is simply a rendering issue. But if not, it is a sort of blind spot. I doubt it is. But if it is, it might explain part of the problem.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Particular situation I'm experiencing is a difficult intersection near my house where the road curves through the intersection, but also crests. Road is 2 lanes in each direction, and if you are in the left lane, the car always always wants to change lanes in the middle of the intersection and ends up in the right lane (it basically loses sight of the lane lines, and because the road turns, what was the left lane is now the right lane). Problem is, if there is a car in the right lane, then my car freely just swerves right into it...I always stop it of course but I have no doubt it would side swipe the car in the right lane. This behavior is exactly the same even in V9.0. Disappointing.

You are using autopilot in a situation that it is not really designed for so it is not surprising that it can't handle it. I suspect that autopilot will only be able to handle that driving scenario once FSD is released.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl and am_dmd
Tesla markets AP as available on "local roads." We've gotten several updates that literally were there to allow this. Don't try the tired old argument AP is only for limited access highways. It's been explicitly contradicted by Tesla and their software releases.

Tesla markets AP as available on "local roads." We've gotten several updates that literally were there to allow this. Don't try the tired old argument AP is only for limited access highways. It's been explicitly contradicted by Tesla and their software releases.

local roads maybe but not complex intersections! The scenario that the OP gave is of an intersection, not just a "local road". Tesla might market AP for local roads but I highly doubt that Tesla intends autopilot to be used through an intersection like the one in the OP. I was referring to the intersection when I said that AP is not designed for it.

local roads maybe but not complex intersections! The scenario that the OP gave is of an intersection, not just a "local road". Tesla might market AP for local roads but I highly doubt that Tesla intends autopilot to be used through an intersection like the one in the OP. I was referring to the intersection when I said that AP is not designed for it.

There certainly is ambiguity but I suppose Tesla intends users to disengage and reengage.

There's been previous talk about if before V9.0, the ultrasonic sensor readings would be taking into consideration to avoid a possible collision while on Autopilot, and the consensus was that no it does not, it ignores the ultrasonic sensors.

Was hoping that now with V9.0 and having real visibility to the side of the car, that it would not blinding try to steer into adjacent traffic, but there seems no be no change in the behavior.

We know that when on AutoPilot, if you go to change lanes by using the indicator, it "looks" for cars in the adjacent lanes, but apparently when not signaling, it does not do the same.

A) It should be obvious that the car is unable to judge where the matching lane is and guesses wrong. Maybe you should talk to you traffic department and get dotted lines added to the intersection to help motorists, because I'm guessing that the car isn't the only person that has guessed it wrong.

B) You are sure that it is going to hit the car. But that doesn't mean that it will happen. My wife overrides the autopilot a lot quicker than I do, she's sure that the car is going to do it wrong. I, tend to trust the car and it amazes her that it gets it right, eventually.

C) You seem to be giving the exact same story as the gentleman who was killed when the car ran into the gore as the road split. He knew that it wasn't working, he took it in to get it fixed, then when testing, still saw that it wasn't working. And then one day was not paying attention and the incident became history.

It also reminds me of some Search and Rescue events that I helped with. In the lower Appalachians, the Air Force would run jets on low level terrain avoidance routes. Basically, during these, the pilot would sit back and let the computer run the jet. It did a great job. But, there were a few, where the pilot took over, stalled the aircraft on a climb and crashed into the mountains. Post analysis always showed that the computer was on track to do it right.

No, I'm not saying to always trust the computer, it isn't there yet. But I am saying that computers does some maneuvers that don't seem to be suitable, but we, as drivers, may be chickening out a little early. So while it would be nice if the car would maneuver a little better, that doesn't mean that it was dangerous.

I think people are completely missing the point of my post. It's not about that particular intersection.

It's about the car not taking camera and sensor information into consideration at this point, which is disappointing. You would think logically that if the car can "see" an object next to it, that would override the AutoPilot program and not turn toward the obstacle. It's like the blind spot detection, if you put the turn signal on and there is a car in the next lane, it will not changes lanes until it's clear to do so. The same should be done when not intending to change lanes, but it appears the car completely ignores what is going on around it and following the lines is its only priority.

Reactions: Mackaypett
I think people are completely missing the point of my post. It's not about that particular intersection.

It's about the car not taking camera and sensor information into consideration at this point, which is disappointing. You would think logically that if the car can "see" an object next to it, that would override the AutoPilot program and not turn toward the obstacle. It's like the blind spot detection, if you put the turn signal on and there is a car in the next lane, it will not changes lanes until it's clear to do so. The same should be done when not intending to change lanes, but it appears the car completely ignores what is going on around it and following the lines is its only priority.

For the number of times that AP2 has mis-estimated a car beside me to be on top of my car, I'm kind of glad it doesn't trust itself for that yet. Sure one day I'd love for it to do generalized "avoid other cars instead of following lane lines" driving, but it doesn't seem like it's ready for that yet.