Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discoloration of Trim from Carwashes - Tesla Replacement Trim Coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a mobile service tech come to my house (to fix a couple rattles). Although I've cleaned my trim with WD40 and then ceramic coated it (and have not had any discoloration since), we started talking about this issue.

He claimed that Tesla is working on a replacement trim kit for the MY with a black trim that doesn't discolor. He *believes* that it will be offered for free to customers experiencing the problem.

That would be fantastic!

Of course, he could be completely wrong, too, I guess...

Eph

Just had a mobile service tech come to my house (to fix a couple rattles). Although I've cleaned my trim with WD40 and then ceramic coated it (and have not had any discoloration since), we started talking about this issue.

He claimed that Tesla is working on a replacement trim kit for the MY with a black trim that doesn't discolor. He *believes* that it will be offered for free to customers experiencing the problem.

That would be fantastic!

Of course, he could be completely wrong, too, I guess...

Eph

I would be interested if they find a fix. The Highlander Hybrid I drove for the last 3 years had the exact same issue with the roof rack. I wish I took pictures before I sold it. I found the Griots Vinyl Rubber dressing (I know its aluminum but it never hurt anything) would give me a few months before it would be back to rainbow again. About the time I would wash it again.

Reactions: HeyEph
Cerakote Ceramic Trim Kit works great at restoring the black trim. I had the discoloration after my first trip to the wash that uses tri-foam. When I got home I ordered this kit and followed the directions, very easy to use and has held up through 3 more washes now. A permanent fix would be great but in the meantime this product is fantastic.

Same here. After washing at home with professional car wash soap (don't even get started on that thread) the trim has the rainbow discoloration. Haven't tried clearing iti with other cleaning agents. Sad to see on such an expensive car.

"based on the pictures provided, the car wash detergents/liquids could the cause of the issue. A caustic solution can cause damage to the bright moulding and should not be used. This is not considered a material defect. as the car wash would be responsible for these repairs we can provide you with a quote to seek replacement and reimbursement for the damage"

Submitted a service request for the trim discoloration and that was the response I received.

We have been mostly hand washing our Y using car wash soap and get the same oil-slick look on the black trim. A lot of it has wiped off with a clean, dry rag. The rest took a bit of WD40 on the rag, or an auto cleaning wipe seems to work.

Got some discoloration with hand washing with foam gun and Chemical Guys product so it's not directly related to automatic carr wash.

Did you use Chemical Guys’ Honeydew Snow Foam soap?It is highly rated and I’d be surprised if it causes discoloration issue. I’ve been using Sun Joe foam soap on my Y without issue so far but I’ve been thinking about trying the Chemical Guys foam soap.

Why? You don’t trust Tesla?
No. Because I'm not going to make Tesla fix something that isn't broke. I'd rather they spent their time fixing things that actually need fixing for other customers. I'm a VIN 18xxx model Y owner and so far I've had them adjust one of the door handles that was sticking, add some touch up 1 spot on the underside of the front bumper, and had them align the trunk door slightly better on one side. <---just to give you an idea of things that I find way more important than this trim "issue"

Reactions: hikingmonk
No. Because I'm not going to make Tesla fix something that isn't broke. I'd rather they spent their time fixing things that actually need fixing for other customers. I'm a VIN 18xxx model Y owner and so far I've had them adjust one of the door handles that was sticking, add some touch up 1 spot on the underside of the front bumper, and had them align the trunk door slightly better on one side. <---just to give you an idea of things that I find way more important than this trim "issue"

Sticking as in doesn't retract fully when you shut the door? If so I have that one. Haven't had it fixed as I've been too lazy to spend a whole day at the SC. Did you take it in or did Mobile fix it?

"based on the pictures provided, the car wash detergents/liquids could the cause of the issue. A caustic solution can cause damage to the bright moulding and should not be used. This is not considered a material defect. as the car wash would be responsible for these repairs we can provide you with a quote to seek replacement and reimbursement for the damage"

Submitted a service request for the trim discoloration and that was the response I received.
Did you ever get a quote to have it replaced…