Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discount offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
About a week ago, I took a test drive of a 2023 MX. I was happy with the yoke but not the price so I told the salesman that I would think about ordering a vehicle. That was a week ago. Yesterday, I got a call from a California-based Tesla Ownership Loyalty Advisor who offered a "$20,000 discount" on the price as well as a $3000 offer that could pay for 3 years of Supercharging or just taken off the price--but the details of those offers were contingent on me trading in my 2017 MX. I asked him to send me the details in an email. He did, but while it clarified the $3000 offer, he did not mention the $20,000 discount other than to say that prices have dropped and that the offer expires in February. He said that the trade-in estimate they made would be finalized by sending them six pictures (inside and out) but only if I committed to the sale. He called again when pressed and said that the discounts were between "$10,000 and $18,500" depending on what I ordered.

He then asked me to use my Tesla App to configure my new vehicle and push the commit button. I looked at the price offered online and it's no different than the price I had seen leading up to this exchange. I'm really uncomfortable agreeing to a sale that does not have the bottom-line price. I've been buying cars since 1966. I know high-pressure sales techniques when I see them and they still make me uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable.

I'm still considering selling the 2017 MX to a private party--I have a couple of friends who have shown serious interest. I have not negotiated a price but they were not spooked by the suggested price around $65,000--at the top end of the Tesla trade-in estimate. But if I sell to a private party, I would pay 10% state sales tax on the whole amount which would cost me an additional $5,500-$6,500 (or so).

Suggestions?

About a week ago, I took a test drive of a 2023 MX. I was happy with the yoke but not the price so I told the salesman that I would think about ordering a vehicle. That was a week ago. Yesterday, I got a call from a California-based Tesla Ownership Loyalty Advisor who offered a "$20,000 discount" on the price as well as a $3000 offer that could pay for 3 years of Supercharging or just taken off the price--but the details of those offers were contingent on me trading in my 2017 MX. I asked him to send me the details in an email. He did, but while it clarified the $3000 offer, he did not mention the $20,000 discount other than to say that prices have dropped and that the offer expires in February. He said that the trade-in estimate they made would be finalized by sending them six pictures (inside and out) but only if I committed to the sale. He called again when pressed and said that the discounts were between "$10,000 and $18,500" depending on what I ordered.

He then asked me to use my Tesla App to configure my new vehicle and push the commit button. I looked at the price offered online and it's no different than the price I had seen leading up to this exchange. I'm really uncomfortable agreeing to a sale that does not have the bottom-line price. I've been buying cars since 1966. I know high-pressure sales techniques when I see them and they still make me uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable.

I'm still considering selling the 2017 MX to a private party--I have a couple of friends who have shown serious interest. I have not negotiated a price but they were not spooked by the suggested price around $65,000--at the top end of the Tesla trade-in estimate. But if I sell to a private party, I would pay 10% state sales tax on the whole amount which would cost me an additional $5,500-$6,500 (or so).

Suggestions?
Does your 2017 X have free supercharging? Is it transferable? I suspect those would go into play with what you could sell private sale. I have a 2020 X purchased December 2019 - last of the free lifetime supercharging - although not transferable. Tesla would have to come up with a deal to get me to trade. We put @ 20k miles/year. Actually what I would like to see is a range of @ 400 miles (advertised). And yes, whatever the deal is make sure it is in writing - on the contract to purchase.

Suggestions?

Until proven otherwise, my assumption would be that the "discount offer" is nothing more than car salesperson speak for "we dropped the price on all of these cars". It sounds like you are expecting 20k "on top of" whatever you see the price to be online, and I am fairly sure that is not what they are talking about.

It sounds EXACTLY like every other car dealer having someone reach out to you and say "We need cars like yours, we can get you into a new one for only XXX a month", or "We want to buy your car!!!" (marketing crap that means exactly zero, basically).

Suggestions?
Total BS on the part of the Sales advisor.

If they knocked $20K off the price of the current MX I would buy it outright, in cash, not mess around with a trade in, and drive off the lot as fast as I could.

I'm still trying to get them to give me the real numbers and conditions.
This is my latest reply:

"I plan to buy a new EV in the next 30 days. I have found several vehicles that could meet my needs, but I’m leaning toward the Model X. My problem is compounded by the lack of detail on what I would have to pay. You mentioned a $3000 offer of unlimited supercharging for three years. That’s very clear. You also mentioned on the initial phone call a “$20,000” discount and then clarified that in a subsequent call by saying it would be between $10,000 and $18,500 depending on the configuration. I need to know specifically in writing what the price would be whether or not I trade in my 2017 Model X. I’m also concerned that you want me to commit to buying a Tesla and pay $250 to initiate that order before you tell me the details of what I would be expected to pay and before you will tell me what my MX as a trade-in is worth.

I have been buying cars since 1966. I’ve never had this degree of ambiguity when buying a car or any major purchase. When I’m paying as much as I pay for a home, you can appreciate why I want to get the figures straight before committing to Tesla."

So, yes, this sounds like one of the high-pressure salesmen we've dealt with in the past so I'm wary. They keep wanting me to pay that $250 and commit to a car behind door number one without seeing what I'm going to be charged.

I'm returning my current Model S lease vehicle and leasing a new one. I called and asked if I was entitled to the $3000 "Ownership Loyalty Offer". I was told it's only for trade-ins. It's the old trade-in shell game. They tell you they'll discount your purchase only to subtract it from what they would have given you for your trade. You have to return the vehicle to Tesla to get the discount.

If it's a true loyalty program, why wouldn't every current owner who's buying a new car now get the discount?

I'm returning my current Model S lease vehicle and leasing a new one. I called and asked if I was entitled to the $3000 "Ownership Loyalty Offer". I was told it's only for trade-ins. It's the old trade-in shell game. They tell you they'll discount your purchase only to subtract it from what they would have given you for your trade. You have to return the vehicle to Tesla to get the discount.

If it's a true loyalty program, why wouldn't every current owner who's buying a new car now get the discount?
“Ownership Loyalty” not “Leased vehicle loyalty”

You answered your own question.

I texted the salesperson who helped me place my MXP reservation a few weeks ago. I currently have a 2021 MXLR that I’m looking to trade in. Here was his response “If you do trade in your vehicle for a new S or an X, you can qualify for a discount OR free supercharging incentive.” Take that for what it’s worth. I’m waiting for a trade-in offer for my current vehicle that I submitted in the app this past weekend. I guess I won’t know for sure until I get a VIN. Hopefully they don’t try to lowball the trade-in knowing they are giving out $3000 additional discounts. Just wanted to share my interaction.

This was my question:
"If it's a true loyalty program, why wouldn't every current owner who's buying a new car now get the discount?"

They don't. They have to trade in their current vehicle. Why would that be?
Again, it is an “OWNERSHIP loyalty” program.

You do not own your vehicle, therefore you are not eligible.

Again, it is an “OWNERSHIP loyalty” program.

You do not own your vehicle, therefore you are not eligible.
You seem to be missing my point. I'm saying it isn't a loyalty program at all. It's a sales spiel. If it was about owner loyalty, you should get the discount if you currently own a Tesla, even if you don't trade it in. They require the trade in so they can recover the discount through the trade in value they offer you.

I know I don't own my vehicle. Currently, the leasing company does. I could, however, buy the car at lease end similar to a balloon payment on a loan. Anyone who has a loan doesn't own the car, either. The bank does until you pay off the loan.

But again, my point is that I don't think this is a real discount.

You seem to be missing my point. I'm saying it isn't a loyalty program at all. It's a sales spiel. If it was about owner loyalty, you should get the discount if you currently own a Tesla, even if you don't trade it in. They require the trade in so they can recover the discount through the trade in value they offer you.

I know I don't own my vehicle. Currently, the leasing company does. I could, however, buy the car at lease end similar to a balloon payment on a loan. Anyone who has a loan doesn't own the car, either. The bank does until you pay off the loan.

But again, my point is that I don't think this is a real discount.
That is not how they are operating the program.

You must be an owner and you must trade in your existing vehicle. I don’t understand what your gripe is outside of you not meeting their qualifications.

Reactions: buckets0fun
That is not how they are operating the program.

You must be an owner and you must trade in your existing vehicle. I don’t understand what your gripe is outside of you not meeting their qualifications.
Forget about my particular situation.

No-one is actually getting a $3000 discount. Since they require you to trade your car in, they just lower what they offer you for your trade-in by $3000. This is why at a normal dealership you shouldn't tell them you have a trade until you negotiate the new car price.

Tesla always lowballs trades anyway. I got $10,000 more from Carvana than Tesla offered on my 2013 Model S. With this program it'll just be $3000 lower. They know that many people don't want to dispose of their own car.

Last edited:
Ask for a trade-in price without purchase of a new car, and then compare to trade-in with purchase of a new car
Don't you have to place an order on a car to request a trade-in quote? I guess you could order a Model 3 and a Models S to see if they quoted different trade-in values. It'd cost $500 to find out though. Even then I think you have to wait until a vin is assigned, so unless both vins were assigned at the same time, you wouldn't know what any difference in trade-in value could be attributed to. Apparently, trade-in values are vin specific. I suppose you could order two inventory cars to mitigate this, but if there isn't an inventory Model S you want you would lose the $250 order fee and definitely lose the Model 3 order fee.

With my trade-in I got a quote, but it expired before my new car was ready. When my new car was ready the trade-in quote dropped significantly. This was at a time when used car prices were rising.

Last edited: