Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! First time poster. As I'm sure many of you are aware, there is a new 2023 Electric Vehicle Federal Tax credit available. Since taxes are almost due, I had some questions about my situation.

I bought my Tesla Model Y in April of 2021, and at the time, I didn't qualify for the Federal Tax Credit since Tesla already sold their first 100,000 vehicles, which were the only ones applicable for the Federal Tax Credit.

Now that this new 2023 Tax Credit happened, I can't find any information on people qualifying for it using a vehicle purchased in a previous year. Most the articles talk about buying a car going forward, but not many people talk about if you bought a car in a previous year. Do you know if I could apply for it? Anyone have any relevant information about it? Lots of articles don't mention it, but this Edmunds one mentioned it a bit, but didn't really give any good information about my situation. Would love some help with this one!!

Most the articles talk about buying a car going forward, but not many people talk about if you bought a car in a previous year.
Thats because it doesnt apply in that circumstance, full stop, do not pass go.
Do you know if I could apply for it?
Its not applicable for cars purchased in a previous year, so no, people who bought a car in 2021, or 2022, or anytime before Jan1 2023 are not eligible to apply for this tax credit.

Hey everyone! First time poster. As I'm sure many of you are aware, there is a new 2023 Electric Vehicle Federal Tax credit available. Since taxes are almost due, I had some questions about my situation.

I bought my Tesla Model Y in April of 2021, and at the time, I didn't qualify for the Federal Tax Credit since Tesla already sold their first 100,000 vehicles, which were the only ones applicable for the Federal Tax Credit.

Now that this new 2023 Tax Credit happened, I can't find any information on people qualifying for it using a vehicle purchased in a previous year. Most the articles talk about buying a car going forward, but not many people talk about if you bought a car in a previous year. Do you know if I could apply for it? Anyone have any relevant information about it? Lots of articles don't mention it, but this Edmunds one mentioned it a bit, but didn't really give any good information about my situation. Would love some help with this one!!

Tesla did not qualify as the standard was the benefit was eliminated after the manufacturer went over 200k in cars sold and I am sure Tesla beat that number years ago.

I mean you can submit the IRS form but I would think it will not work. Unless they massaged the dates/years.

Line 4b​

Enter 100% unless the vehicle was a vehicle with at least four wheels manufactured by Toyota, Tesla, or GM (Chevrolet Bolt EV, etc.).

Toyota.

Enter the following percentage if the vehicle was manufactured by Toyota.
  • 100% if you purchased it before October 1, 2022.
  • 50% if you purchased it after September 30, 2022, but before 2023.
  • 100% if you purchased it after 2022.

Tesla.

Enter the following percentage if the vehicle was manufactured by Tesla.
  • 0% if you purchased it before 2023.

GM.

Enter the following percentage if the vehicle was manufactured by GM.
  • 0% if you purchased it before 2023.

I am guessing somewhere in the entries they modified the percentage. either the year or just the percentage. if they do like their own taxes they probably submitted it. I would think the audit is coming. it may be a bit but its coming. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
New here looking to get a new Model 3 RWD. Is the car still eligible for Fed $7500 tax credit? Got mixed responses with some saying March was deadline and others April 18th. I am near Fremont Tesla factory if I take delivery before April 18th can I get both Fed $7500 and CA $2000 credit?

Minor news, but Tesla has dropped the M3P base price to $52990 from $53990.

This now means you can get an M3P in Red or Black and get the $7500 rebate.

Or you can get the $1K white interior with MSM or Blue and get the $7500.
I would've actually purchased the M3P in Red but instead went for RWD because of that. Sigh.

At this point I just hope my M3SR shows up before the 18th.

If it arrives at the delivery center and I find issues - should I deny delivery and risk losing the 7500 or should I accept and then immediately take it to the service center?

I would've actually purchased the M3P in Red but instead went for RWD because of that. Sigh.

At this point I just hope my M3SR shows up before the 18th.

If it arrives at the delivery center and I find issues - should I deny delivery and risk losing the 7500 or should I accept and then immediately take it to the service center?
You could forfeit the $250 order fee, cancel the RWD order, and order a Red M3P now and come in at $54990, and not have to worry about April 18 (only the RWD credit will drop to $3750 then.)

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP