Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's why you kept getting VIN back. Unique config not selling.

I would have taken off tow hitch config and then just added after delivery (what I'm doing)
So this is what I should have done.

I just got that same VIN a 4th time. I texted the SA and asked if that VIN I keep rejecting was still available or had it sold, and the reply was “Our records show that VIN has already been assigned to someone else”. So I released my hold, changed exterior color back to white, and minutes later got the text that the VIN had been assigned. That same VIN I’ve been rejecting for almost a month. My 4th time with this VIN.

I texted back that this was unfair, that the whole reason I released the hold was that they had JUST told me that other VIN wasn’t available any more. The response was that it wasn’t available but then the other person didn’t schedule delivery in a timely fashion so the system unassigned that VIN from them, and gave it to me - a 4th time. What are the odds that the timing worked out so closely? Seems too crazy to be true.

I feel so stupid. At this point I’m in too deep, and after almost a month of cancelling and delaying to try to get a HW4 VIN, I felt like I was committed to doing so on principle now. I cancelled my order. A second time.

As I was pondering life choices, I perused inventory again (like I have every day for months now), and a brand new car exactly matching my build but without the tow hitch popped up in Charlotte, my closest delivery location. So I bought it straight from inventory. I can add the tow hitch later. I got the VIN from my app within seconds after purchasing. PF806xxx. Definitely past the HW4 cutoff (just to be sure, I submitted it to the by-now-famous VIN lookup subreddit thread, which confirmed HW4, matrix headlights, and the non-refresh rear drive unit).

I feel silly and wasteful having burned through 3 orders to get the car I want. Please let my experience be a cautionary tale. If you reject a VIN, there’s nothing stopping it from coming back to you 3 more times.

Reactions: AJ.. and Jersey

I just got that same VIN a 4th time. I texted the SA and asked if that VIN I keep rejecting was still available or had it sold, and the reply was “Our records show that VIN has already been assigned to someone else”. So I released my hold, changed exterior color back to white, and minutes later got the text that the VIN had been assigned. That same VIN I’ve been rejecting for almost a month. My 4th time with this VIN.

I texted back that this was unfair, that the whole reason I released the hold was that they had JUST told me that other VIN wasn’t available any more. The response was that it wasn’t available but then the other person didn’t schedule delivery in a timely fashion so the system unassigned that VIN from them, and gave it to me - a 4th time. What are the odds that the timing worked out so closely? Seems too crazy to be true.

I feel so stupid. At this point I’m in too deep, and after almost a month of cancelling and delaying to try to get a HW4 VIN, I felt like I was committed to doing so on principle now. I cancelled my order. A second time.

As I was pondering life choices, I perused inventory again (like I have every day for months now), and a brand new car exactly matching my build but without the tow hitch popped up in Charlotte, my closest delivery location. So I bought it straight from inventory. I can add the tow hitch later. I got the VIN from my app within seconds after purchasing. PF806xxx. Definitely past the HW4 cutoff (just to be sure, I submitted it to the by-now-famous VIN lookup subreddit thread, which confirmed HW4, matrix headlights, and the non-refresh rear drive unit).

I feel silly and wasteful having burned through 3 orders to get the car I want. Please let my experience be a cautionary tale. If you reject a VIN, there’s nothing stopping it from coming back to you 3 more times.
Your are still luckier than many of us who have HW3 and cannot upgrade to HW4.

Regarding Model Ys from China, has anyone received a VIN with Hardware 4 (HW4)....
I was at the dealership this Sunday and inquired about HW4.0 for MYs coming from Shanghai (I live in Dubai, mine will come from there). Was told that HW4.0 is not rolled out outside of the US and Shanghai factory is expected to get it October onwards.

Sucks as I just ordered my MY and EDD is July - September.

Guess stuck with HW3.0.

Tesla SAs are hit/miss. Config change is the only way to guarantee new VIN

How to confirm the latest Hardware Version 4 with new cameras and radar when ordering Model Y in Ontario Canada?
It depends on which factory the car is from. If Shanghai built, likely still hw3; if Fremont (after pf7984xx) or Austin built (after Pa15Xxx) likely hw4. For confirmation of build location, not sure probably check with SA or posts in the forum. At delivery, you can check the repeater cameras on side to confirm.

And nobody has confirmed HD radar in Hw4 Model y yet. There is confirmation for Hw4 model s/X.

How to confirm the latest Hardware Version 4 with new cameras and radar when ordering Model Y in Ontario Canada?
I understand that for deliveries to Canada, Tesla is using the Shanghai factory (same for us in Dubai). I spoke with the SA over the weekend, HW 4.0 unlikely to be included in vehicles before October.

BUT - I have read that some people with deliveries from Shanghai had HW 4.0 on their MYs. Can't say for certain though. I am also waiting.

It depends on which factory the car is from. If Shanghai built, likely still hw3; if Fremont (after pf7984xx) or Austin built (after Pa15Xxx) likely hw4. For confirmation of build location, not sure probably check with SA or posts in the forum. At delivery, you can check the repeater cameras on side to confirm.

And nobody has confirmed HD radar in Hw4 Model y yet. There is confirmation for Hw4 model s/X.
Does this mean that HW4 inclusion automatically does not warrant the car will come with the promised Phoenix HD radar?
What about the 5-megapixel cameras? Will they be installed in all HW4-based Model Y's?

Does this mean that HW4 inclusion automatically does not warrant the car will come with the promised Phoenix HD radar?
What about the 5-megapixel cameras? Will they be installed in all HW4-based Model Y's?
MY HW4 comes with new cameras. No MYs with HW4 have been delivered with the radar yet, and there is no expectation in the near term.

I am also in Canada, and am waiting for Shanghai to start supplying 7 seater MYs to Canada.
According to some posts, Shanghai will start MY HW4 from Q4, but so far no news for the 7 seat version.
Sucks, because I may only use the extra seats very occasionally and do not want to buy a much bigger 7 seat EV for that.

MY HW4 comes with new cameras. No MYs with HW4 have been delivered with the radar yet, and there is no expectation in the near term.

I am also in Canada, and am waiting for Shanghai to start supplying 7 seater MYs to Canada.
According to some posts, Shanghai will start MY HW4 from Q4, but so far no news for the 7 seat version.
Sucks, because I may only use the extra seats very occasionally and do not want to buy a much bigger 7 seat EV for that.
Other tesla models with HW4 installed with new radar?