Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they are trying to flood the market with intentions of really pressuring the legacy auto makers to lose more money on their EV models. If it is not profitable for them, they won’t want to sell them or spend billions more on R&D. Hard to compete when you lose money for the company on each EV sold.

Reactions: cdub and KJD
if i order a custom model y and paid the $250 deposit what happens if I want to change to a vehicle in stock at local inventory? do i have to pay another $250 deposit or can the initial deposit be transferred to the local inventory vehicle?

if i order a custom model y and paid the $250 deposit what happens if I want to change to a vehicle in stock at local inventory? do i have to pay another $250 deposit or can the initial deposit be transferred to the local inventory vehicle?
I would contact a SA and ask them for sure. However I am pretty sure I have seen posts about people selecting a vehicle in inventory and everything was applied to that ca without penalty. But I would certainly ask someone at Tesla, first.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am leasing a Model Y performance and literally just paid my down payment yesterday only to get an email 12 hours later for a hefty $5k price drop this am!

I assume since I already paid my down payment my monthly payment in the mobile app is locked and doesn’t seem to have been updated and my deposit still shows the same. The previous drop in the last few weeks has changed the down payment and monthly automatically.

Am I out of luck here to save $50+ per month and $500+ in down payment without just flat out refusing delivery?

Can my local dealer store help me?

Could I just completely switch over to financing and just buy it this late in the game?

Any help would be appreciated!

I’m in a similar boat but financing. I pick up tomorrow and submitted the down payment already. Today the app shows the amount due as -$3200. They withdrew the money already from my account. If I remember with the December discount some people were waiting a while for refund checks.

Reactions: GrantW
Same here... I show a credit due of $3195. My delivery is in a week or so no hurry there, I can wait on a refund. But, I would like to know for sure whether Tesla will refund, or will they want a cashier's check for the new balance.... I just don't want to show up and them not take my check...

Last edited:
Reactions: gaabbee
I see a negative $48 in my account so it looks like they are refunding the difference in the first month and it looks like they will also lower the monthly payments by $48! Woohooo!

Apparently I just jumped the gun a bit too soon after receiving the email.

Agreed! I am somewhat jealous I didn’t finance/buy but at the same time I enjoy having one leased car and one owned car to keep it fresh every 3 years without the worry of the trade in.

All around win for us all though. Elon and team are going to really put the pressure on the completion such as the Germans with these prices.

Regarding the pricing strategy....

I don't know what Elon's tactics are but this is where a "First to market" strategy drives all else like technology, regulatory policy, & market share, to name a few. In this case, it does appear they are leveraging their dominance to affect the rising competitors in the market. To your point, companies will either fight to the death or quit fighting.

I am not sleeping tonight. 🤮 Feel terrible that the new order agreement doesn’t reflect the price when the last price drop automatically reflected the change. I bet they are going to say, “cancel and pay for the transport. Plus now go get in the back of the line”…..🥴
My "new" order agreement that I received today also was not different. However, when I went to the app my financing terms had changed to reflect the lower price and I had to confirm the changes. Same for the website - the order agreement has the old price but financing details shows the new price. I'm feeling optimistic, but I'm curious to see what others find out.

I love my Tesla, but the constant price changes makes it unlikely I will buy another one. It’s now $2500 cheaper than I paid 5 weeks ago. Real world it’s less because you can’t get a 2.75% 60 month now and my trade in lost a few hundred in value. This is going to drive away customers. They have to hope they get enough new people and don’t piss off the old as competition will get stronger.