Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they (Vroom) are reasonable on either offer. Their guesstimate computer entered panic mode.
Carvana’s wasn’t much better just now.

9F9D0A53-9485-40DA-90B0-0630037872FF.png

After waking up to this news, I just snagged a (white/black) M3P lol from inventory and fingers crossed that it will also qualify for tax credit. Thoughts that the M3P will be added to the IRS list??
It certainly could get added to the list. That list is meant to be fluid. However, you won’t know if it actually qualifies until it makes it on that list. I wouldn’t count on it happening but there still is a good chance that it could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GermanKief
My take on this is that the list is just meant to be helpful, but not exhaustive.

The requirements for the credit have been clearly stated. Any vehicles that comply with the requirements are eligible for the credit. The list means nothing.
When you file your taxes you will have to enter the VIN. That VIN will be automatically verified without human intervention against this list. If the vehicle isn't on the list the claim will be flagged. The list definitely is fluid but the vehicle isn't on the list yet so you are taking a risk if you are counting on the tax credit.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
In other words, Tesla shares to $500! Especially, if Tesla starts selling CT by fall at ~$50k starting price. It seems, Biden administration has just handled the entire car market (not just EVs) to Tesla without really thinking about it.
About the shares, since they will have less profit per car, it's possible their earnings won't look good and the share value may not rise as much.

Reactions: bobbyjae
EXACTLY! And not just them. But Ford, VW, and perhaps even GM (as their volumes are tiny). We might be at a revolutionary turn of the car market.
Chevrolet's EV offerings (2023 Bolt EV and Bolt EUV) still undercut any Tesla by a significant margin. Their upcoming 2024 Equinox EV and Blazer EV will still have starting prices less than the Model Y. $30K for the Equinox and $40K for the Blazer.

The Cadillac Lyriq was relatively even with the previous Y prices, now it's about $10K over. But I see the Lyriq as more of an X competitor than a Y competitor.

Chevrolet's EV offerings (2023 Bolt EV and Bolt EUV) still undercut any Tesla by a significant margin. Their upcoming 2024 Equinox EV and Blazer EV will still have starting prices less than the Model Y. $30K for the Equinox and $40K for the Blazer.

The Cadillac Lyriq was relatively even with the previous Y prices, now it's about $10K over. But I see the Lyriq as more of an X competitor than a Y competitor.
The Equinox and Blazer prices will be no where near $30K or even $40K in reality. Markups will push both of those cars into $40K-$50K range at the very least. Just watch.

Tesla was always able to control the price to match demand to maximize profit. At nearly 30% margin, Tesla had a LOT of room to lower the price IF NEEDED. Now, I believe, Tesla decided to size the opportunity to totally overwhelm the car market in the US. Considering the interest to EVs is at or above 50% of potential new car buyers, most of them will click the Tesla order button within a few days. No other car maker is able to respond to Tesla without either going belly up.

Now watch for Tesla expedited introduction of Cybertruck and new modifications of Model Y and 3 to ensure taking over nearly all market segments.
newsflash: Wall Street already expected Tesla to sell EVERY CAR THEY MAKE in 2023... that was always a given. Cutting the price by 20% (!) for the Y isn't increasing Model Y production one bit. the same amount of vehicles will be sold.... but at drastically lower margins....

In the case of the Equinox and Blazer, it doesn't matter...because you can't currently get one! When there are real vehicles with actual prices, then maybe it's real competition.

ETA: Also, RIP my 2022 MYP resale value.

In other words, Tesla shares to $500! Especially, if Tesla starts selling CT by fall at ~$50k starting price. It seems, Biden administration has just handled the entire car market (not just EVs) to Tesla without really thinking about it.
check TSLA today and then research how much investors love a price war and what it means for Tesla to sell the same cars this year as already expected but at much lower prices = margins

the ID.4 starts at under $40k and the Ioniq5 at just over $40k ... still $10k cheaper than the Y and who says VW and Hyundai cant adjust their prices either...

newsflash: Wall Street already expected Tesla to sell EVERY CAR THEY MAKE in 2023... that was always a given. Cutting the price by 20% (!) for the Y isn't increasing Model Y production one bit. the same amount of vehicles will be sold.... but at drastically lower margins....
Wall Street may expect pink unicorns flying over Hudson, but anyone with remnants of grey matter attached to the food loading hole would be able to conclude that as of yesterday Tesla would NOT be able to sell every car they make in 2023 at the prices well above $55k federal tax limit when the car loan rates and the inflationary pressure at the buyers are very high. Then, Tesla has always been planning to increase production by 40% to 50% annually in the coming years. The market for $60k+ is rather limited, don't we know that?

Reactions: GadgetGary
check TSLA today and then research how much investors love a price war and what it means for Tesla to sell the same cars this year as already expected but at much lower prices = margins
Yes, it is a great opportunity for buying long. Margins are perfectly fine as long as they stay positive during the rapid expansion and market realignment wars.

The M3 LR is back to the price I paid for it in Sept 2021. The real price cuts are on the MY and M3P. Also notice the M3P is strategically priced to where you can choose the color you want and it's still below the $55k threshold.

MS and MX still priced higher than they were just a little while ago (2021).
Except the red one. $55,990 > $55,000.

Does anyone else think it’s odd that they would exclude just one color? Almost like they forgot that one of their color options was more than the others…

Reactions: Jeremy3292