Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing new here. Of course they want to discount the old inventory to get rid of it before discounting fresh ones. We’ll see discounts again towards the end of the quarter when they try to rush and add discounts to beat the previous quarter.

I ordered a gray rwd on the 4th of July for $38k ($2210 off msrp). Today same search found me one for $39k but this minute for $37k…so the search changes often…With the $500 referral brought out yesterday it’s $1500 cheaper in only three days!

I have my vin and an estimated 13-22 July delivery date. Anybody know if I can adjust it at all other than cancelling? Cancel is a bother but it’s hard to leave that on the table potentially over three days.

I was just looking at Model 3 inventory and the cars listed 1st still have the discounted price, but the newer ones that were just added today are listed at full MSRP.
If the older inventory wasn’t priced accordingly it would never move. When the current production becomes older inventory (assuming it remains unsold) it too will likely get discounted.

Yes, but every car in their inventory has been discounted since June 1st. This is the 1st time in over a month they are back to regular pricing.
Ahh, I was a little confused looking at the inventory, seeing base models selling for up to $40,240 (but also as low as $37,000). Does that mean when the existing inventory runs out we might not see any more discounts?

Ahh, I was a little confused looking at the inventory, seeing base models selling for up to $40,240 (but also as low as $37,000). Does that mean when the existing inventory runs out we might not see any more discounts?
Makes sense. It’s up to Tesla and based on their inventory vs demand vs supply chain.

the cheapest car at any time varies multiple times/day for delivery in my state. Had I waited a couple of days I could’ve saved another thousand bucks but as of this morning, it’s only another 200 instead.

The issue is presuming a current trend will continue indefinitely; maybe we see a $35k model 3 or maybe they revert back to msrp. I love great deals but I hate missing good ones; is waiting for $4-5k off worth possibly missing what is right now a good deal? You can secure a new model 3 now, in 2023, for < $30k after credits. That is remarkable :)

Reactions: King David
I had Tesla M3 ordered through existing inventory in NYC but had to put it on hold as my house closing was delayed. My hold expires this week and when I go online and look at the inventory there doesn't seem to be much of a discount available? This is the first time I have seen this, am I SOL?

Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed *some* Model 3 Performance and Long Range are no longer discounted in my city and those that are the discount has reduced back down to roughly 2500 from just over 3000. I wonder if the undiscounted ones have HW4 like the later built Model Ys.

I can see the first wave of Highlands going for MSRP or having the current MSRP raised for the ‘I want it no matter the cost’ group. With the USA recession projected to go into 2025 and interest rates to be hiked at least twice more this year I suspect Tesla will reduce prices again in late Jan to mid Feb.

Last edited:
With the USA recession projected to go into 2025 and interest rates to be hiked at least twice more this year I suspect Tesla will reduce prices again in late Jan to mid Feb.
We've been hearing about a pending recession for a long time. Economists scrambling to justify their recession predictions floated 'rolling' or 'richcession' theories, but maybe they were just wrong

This moment the S&P is at a 52 week high, and we're < 6% from an all-time high. Unemployment rate is 3.6%, and inflation has basically been brought back into line.

Does this mean Tesla won't or will lower prices I have no idea :) I've been very wrong predicting the price of the Model 3 for a long time! I still think we're at or near a price floor on these, and presently the model 3 is an outrageous value for those able to claim the $7500 federal.

Hello Tesla Forum Community, I'm new here and am in the market for a new M3. Should I buy one now with all the discounts available or wait until Highland is comes out? I'm not in any big hurray to spend $50K, so waiting is fine with me. I'm just a little concerned the $7500 will be going away with the new batteries and the price may go back up to MSRP. Also do you think it is better to buy a RWD with FSD or a Performance with Enhanced AP for about the same price? Thanks in advance.

Hello Tesla Forum Community, I'm new here and am in the market for a new M3. Should I buy one now with all the discounts available or wait until Highland is comes out? I'm not in any big hurray to spend $50K, so waiting is fine with me. I'm just a little concerned the $7500 will be going away with the new batteries and the price may go back up to MSRP. Also do you think it is better to buy a RWD with FSD or a Performance with Enhanced AP for about the same price? Thanks in advance.
Never mind. Sorry I asked the question here. I see it gets asked a lot.

We've been hearing about a pending recession for a long time. Economists scrambling to justify their recession predictions floated 'rolling' or 'richcession' theories, but maybe they were just wrong

This moment the S&P is at a 52 week high, and we're < 6% from an all-time high. Unemployment rate is 3.6%, and inflation has basically been brought back into line.

Does this mean Tesla won't or will lower prices I have no idea :) I've been very wrong predicting the price of the Model 3 for a long time! I still think we're at or near a price floor on these, and presently the model 3 is an outrageous value for those able to claim the $7500 federal.

By definition you're correct, but inflation and interest rates will certainly curb a percentage of would be buyers. The auto market is seeing this already, Elon normalized back to pre-pandemic prices, dealers are selling some models below MSRP again, etc etc. It will only get tougher for big ticket items like automobiles, that is of course unless banks get creative with auto loans like 9 year financing or 7 year leases LOL

I do see Elon has removed discounts on most inventory in my area. The Y's have HW4 so that makes sense, but the 3's?

If you don't need the vehicle right now and you're in an area that gets frequent inventory why would you not wait? The EV tax credit is even better next year 2024.

Hi. Questions:

1. Where do the "Inventory" cars come from? I believe I read somewhere that they are cars that have been ordered and and shipped, then the purchaser declines to purchase, perhaps to move in a different purchasing direction or perhaps the car is rejected because of quality issue(s)?.

2. Can anyone explain the discrepancies in nationwide pricing for discounted models? For a company that prides itself on making a car purchase easy for the customer with non-negotionable pricing, I find it befuddling that the price of a discounted Silver ext./black interior RWD Model 3 with Aero wheels is $37,420 in Long Island, $37,830 in Carlsbad, $38,350 in Sacramento, $39,030 in Spokane, $39,590 at the same Long Island location as the $37,420 car, $40,000 in Tampa on up to the $40,240 new asking price. None of these cars has more than 23 miles on it.

3. Once a discounted price is established at a particular location, does that price remain in place until sold, or has anyone seen the same car discounted more than once?

4. If a prospective buyer conveys the info. in Question 2. above to their local Tesla store, do they ever adjust pricing?

Hi. Questions:

1. Where do the "Inventory" cars come from? I believe I read somewhere that they are cars that have been ordered and and shipped, then the purchaser declines to purchase, perhaps to move in a different purchasing direction or perhaps the car is rejected because of quality issue(s)?.

2. Can anyone explain the discrepancies in nationwide pricing for discounted models? For a company that prides itself on making a car purchase easy for the customer with non-negotionable pricing, I find it befuddling that the price of a discounted Silver ext./black interior RWD Model 3 with Aero wheels is $37,420 in Long Island, $37,830 in Carlsbad, $38,350 in Sacramento, $39,030 in Spokane, $39,590 at the same Long Island location as the $37,420 car, $40,000 in Tampa on up to the $40,240 new asking price. None of these cars has more than 23 miles on it.

3. Once a discounted price is established at a particular location, does that price remain in place until sold, or has anyone seen the same car discounted more than once?

4. If a prospective buyer conveys the info. in Question 2. above to their local Tesla store, do they ever adjust pricing?
Nobody answered you so I'll take a guess on 1 & 2:

1) Tesla products in anticipation of demand; not everything is custom, and not everything you see was cancelled by somebody

2) Cars are shipped also based on demand to different parts of the country. So when you see a different price it's because long island has "too many" cars vs Carlsbad.

BTW the 10529 zip within 200 miles now has a new Dual motor long range, gray for $43,460. That's only $6500 (!) more ($5k sticker + $1500 less NY state credit) than I paid for my new RWD of the same color (mid sil) that I picked up last weekend. I can confidently say if that was the price on their site two weeks ago I would have gotten it. It's now $35,460 + dest/tax for a dual motor LR. That's bonkers.

This week Tesla reported and Musk said they may keep cutting prices.

cheapm3.png